Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I said that I liked Doom 1/2 multiplayer because it was fun to just have fun and mess around in it. Implying that there is a demand of this kind of thing on the market, hence such games can be successful and good for some players.

I do not link such things as my Steam account to random people.

Ehm,

Well, I've never really liked games like Quake 3 or Counter Strike, and one of the reasons of that is exactly what you described: high skill cap. I just want to play a game, to mess around and have fun, I don't care about all these twitch skills and such.
    So, I misunderstood?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    Ehm,

So, I misunderstood?
    Yes, you misunderstood. I generally do not play FPS games competitively; for that, I prefer RTS genre. In FPS games, I like to mess around and have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Yes, you misunderstood. I generally do not play FPS games competitively; for that, I prefer RTS genre. In FPS games, I like to mess around and have fun.
    If you say so. It's still a dodgy argument, since RTS games have a high skill ceiling as well, and that was your argument. But whatever dude.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-04-21 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    If you say so. It's still a dodgy argument, since RTS games have a high skill ceiling as well, and that was your argument. But whatever dude.
    Pretty much any competitive game has an infinite skill ceiling. No matter how good you are, you can always get infinitely better if you want. Well, except for "solved" games, such as tic-tac-toe.

However, where this skill focuses is different for different games. I don't like games like Quake 3, because they are mostly based on learned instincts and tactical thinking. I prefer something more strategic, like RTS games, when it comes to competition (might be my chess background playing role in that). And yes, I know that there is a lot of strategy in Quake 3 on high level too; but there are also elements that annoy me. So yes, for me Doom not having these elements might even be an advantage, and I am not alone in this. As such, saying, "This game isn't as competitive as Quake 3, so it is bad", doesn't really make sense in anything beyond individual preference.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    Pretty much any competitive game has an infinite skill ceiling. No matter how good you are, you can always get infinitely better if you want. Well, except for "solved" games, such as tic-tac-toe.

However, where this skill focuses is different for different games. I don't like games like Quake 3, because they are mostly based on learned instincts and tactical thinking. I prefer something more strategic, like RTS games, when it comes to competition (might be my chess background playing role in that). And yes, I know that there is a lot of strategy in Quake 3 on high level too; but there are also elements that annoy me. So yes, for me Doom not having these elements might even be an advantage, and I am not alone in this. As such, saying, "This game isn't as competitive as Quake 3, so it is bad", doesn't really make sense in anything beyond individual preference.
    I have no idea who you're quoting, but I never said X game is less competitive than another. Games, can't be competitive, it's the scene that's either competitive or not.

Anyway, you don't like Quake because you don't like fast-paced shooters. Skill, "skill-cap", strategy or competition have absolutely nothing to do with it. Quake, Painkiller, UT, CS, heck, even CoD have abuntant space for all aforementioned aspects.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-04-21 at 10:13 PM.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/943...player-details

Upgradeable armor (Crysis much?) and weapons? Yeah, this continues to get further and further away from the return to classic Doom that they initially tried to sell us on when they announced this.

My hype went from sky high at announced to pretty much 6 feet under now. Maybe I'll do what I did with Rage and pick it up for $5 down the road. Ugh, id, what the fuck happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    My hype went from sky high at announced to pretty much 6 feet under now. Maybe I'll do what I did with Rage and pick it up for $5 down the road. Ugh, id, what the fuck happened to you.
    Yeah, after watching that stream I am highly disappointed, though admittedly not surprised. I knew that with old id gone (is anyone from the Doom days still there?) and Bethesda at the helm they weren't going to recapture the soul of the original two games. Like you, I'll wait for a Steam sale and pick it up for $5 some day when I'm really, really bored.

I feel you Edge... Wolfenstein TNO was a great fps, cutting the MP bullshit and threw me into gun blazing without too much of talents or customization options. I hoped for Doom 4 to go wilder but after the open beta, i don't have much faith in SP too.

At least i can still look for Shadow Warrior 2, the reboot was a lot of fun.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/943...player-details

Upgradeable armor (Crysis much?) and weapons? Yeah, this continues to get further and further away from the return to classic Doom that they initially tried to sell us on when they announced this.

I actually like the idea of upgradeable armor and weapons; this, I think, is one of the elements from newer games that could lay down well on the classic Doom skeleton. What I'm really worried about is them focusing too much on shiny graphics, realistic physics and cutscenes, at the expense of arcade-ish gameplay with mowing hundreds mobs while dodging projectiles. I don't think I've felt that kind of gameplay in an FPS game ever since Jedi Academy, which was 13 years ago...

After skimming through the preview, I definitely cannot say I was impressed with the gameplay. Hard to say what's wrong, it just... doesn't seem fun somehow.
    Last edited by May90; 2016-04-27 at 10:40 PM.

What I'm really worried about is them focusing too much on shiny graphics, realistic physics and cutscenes, at the expense of arcade-ish gameplay with mowing hundreds mobs while dodging projectiles. I don't think I've felt that kind of gameplay in an FPS game ever since Jedi Academy, which was 13 years ago...
    Serious Sam 3. Seriously, Croteam have been holding it down on that front for a while now while everyone else has been moving to nonsense cinematic, story driven slow paced nonsense.

After skimming through the preview, I definitely cannot say I was impressed with the gameplay. Hard to say what's wrong, it just... doesn't seem fun somehow.
    I haven't had a chance to watch the actual gameplay yet, but everything I'm reading about it and the systems they showed off have me pretty anti-hyped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Serious Sam 3. Seriously, Croteam have been holding it down on that front for a while now while everyone else has been moving to nonsense cinematic, story driven slow paced nonsense.
    I've never played Serious Sam series, but always wanted to try. I think I'll get to it eventually.

I haven't had a chance to watch the actual gameplay yet, but everything I'm reading about it and the systems they showed off have me pretty anti-hyped.
    Well, to be honest, what I've seen did have a bit of that arcade feel of old ID games... But somehow it feels very slow-paced, and while some monsters have charge-like abilities, the player himself barely crawls. I can see myself having quite a bit of fun playing through the campaign once, but it is doubtful that I'll ever want to replay it.

Well, to be honest, what I've seen did have a bit of that arcade feel of old ID games... But somehow it feels very slow-paced, and while some monsters have charge-like abilities, the player himself barely crawls. I can see myself having quite a bit of fun playing through the campaign once, but it is doubtful that I'll ever want to replay it.
    Yeah : /

I didn't mind the slow pace of Doom 3, because I don't ever remember it being sold on being like the older, fast pace Doom games. Not to mention, the pretty fully embraced the slower paced, more horror oriented approach to that game. But it feels like they've been aiming at the "THIS IS OLDSCHOOL FAST PACED SHOOTER!" angle since day one with this, and nothing I've really seen outside of the initial gameplay footage (which I should probably rewartch, because I think I was too hyped at new Doom to process much beyond "OMGDOOM") reinforces that.

I've never played Serious Sam series, but always wanted to try. I think I'll get to it eventually.
    You are missing out. Serious Sam 3 is dirty cheap during sales: it has everything i like of 90 shooters: health armor pick up, lots of weapons, secrets, lots of enemies (LOOOOOOOTS of enemies, sometimes some sections are a bit too crowded and long for my taste) and bad one liners.
    Oh yeah, story is basically no existant so i don't have to sit down and wait for a cutscene or a npc to talk to me.
    Least but not least, a game that runs extremely well on PC hardware, which is a luxory these days. :S

Ok, self note: play SS3 after i finished my nth Duke 3d playthrough.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what the hatred is about now but after I watched the SP and SnapMap footage I am pretty much sold. I think this game will take up the majority of my gaming time over the next couple years. This game looks, feel and sounds like Doom now.

-Large open levels
    -tons of secrets to find
    -diverse monsters
    -There is color! Not like i doubted this before.
    -awesome graphics (we have yet to see the PC graphics at ultra)
    -SnapMap
    -Story isn't in your face and optional
    -multiple difficulties and a lot of ways to customize them (ie remove glory kills)

Also if you are going to have an opinion, watch the footage first or else you will sound ignorant.

Gamespot Stream is better so I suggest watching this one in stead of the bethesda playthrough. There will be more play throughs from other gamings sites as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/doom-.../2300-6431915/

You can also go to youtube and watch several dozen snapmap video's as well. It isn't a complete map editor but in the SP streams the lead designer says that if there is demand for more tools they will provide it. It is one of those wait and see type of situations.

I think it is more about the weapon/armor upgrade systems and the rune/perk systems that throws people off now. That doesn't feel old-school Doom. Although, I believe the intent is to allow players to make choices to facilitate their play style; it does seem odd still.

That aside, the gameplay does feel like Doom (to me): promoting being in the middle of the horde, than cover-combat. Of course we aren't moving 50MPH, so of course it will feel slower than classic. Though with that in mind, I wonder if snapmap will offer modified variables, such as base movement speed, or even permanent haste?

For what it is, I still like what I see. If I want classic, I can play classic, or Doom 2 and its expansions, on classic/brutal doom/brutality, etc.
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible! ~Kamina, Gurren Lagann

...You'll kill my dick?! What the hell does that even mean? I'll kill your dick! ~Grayson Hunt, Bulletstorm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    Ok, self note: play SS3 after i finished my nth Duke 3d playthrough.
    Oh, Duke Nukem 3D... That game was something special. I weren't a fan of the gameplay, but the game was hilarious. The map designers had a very good sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Not sure what the hatred is about now but after I watched the SP and SnapMap footage I am pretty much sold. I think this game will take up the majority of my gaming time over the next couple years. This game looks, feel and sounds like Doom now.

-Large open levels
    -tons of secrets to find
    -diverse monsters
    -There is color! Not like i doubted this before.
    -awesome graphics (we have yet to see the PC graphics at ultra)
    -SnapMap
    -Story isn't in your face and optional
    -multiple difficulties and a lot of ways to customize them (ie remove glory kills)
    Secrets were a good news, this is something most games nowadays miss. Also, the map editor looks very promising: one of the main reasons of Doom 1/2 longevity is the map making community - there are folks on DoomWorld even now, producing dozens amazing WADs a month. If they manage to even remotely repeat that success...

It's just that the gameplay itself doesn't seem fun to me. I don't know why. I disliked Doom 3 gameplay strongly, and this game's gameplay looks better to me - but something is missing. Maybe it is the movement speed, maybe large number of monsters on the screen, maybe map design looks too linear. I don't know, we will see; I will definitely buy the game and play through it, at least, once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu125 View Post
    I think it is more about the weapon/armor upgrade systems and the rune/perk systems that throws people off now. That doesn't feel old-school Doom. Although, I believe the intent is to allow players to make choices to facilitate their play style; it does seem odd still.

That aside, the gameplay does feel like Doom (to me): promoting being in the middle of the horde, than cover-combat. Of course we aren't moving 50MPH, so of course it will feel slower than classic. Though with that in mind, I wonder if snapmap will offer modified variables, such as base movement speed, or even permanent haste?

For what it is, I still like what I see. If I want classic, I can play classic, or Doom 2 and its expansions, on classic/brutal doom/brutality, etc.
    Yah the upgrades is kinda meh but as stated in the streams they are optional. In fact there are achievements of playing through the game without any upgrades. However on harder difficulties it will be ridiculously hard. We might get a streamer doing it in a year or so.

Upgrades are in the form of three different types.

Armor upgrades, weapons upgrades and runes. The first two are by a currency which is awarded for killing and completing bonus objectives and challenges. Runes are found by completing bonus "levels" that are hidden in the singleplayer levels.

For some reason the game not being like doom 1 and 2 is a turnoff and people cant stand it.