read the review. sounds like they kept planet scanning from game 2 and 3, damn it. completely disagree with assertion of "in mass effect your first 2 companions are usually the worst - matter of preference and all that. otherwise.. it honestly sounds like the last half dozen bioware games at least (more like every bioware game ever), including Dragon age origins, KOTOR and Jade empire - as far as protagonist specialness goes.

honestly, they seem to be burned out on bioware formula? I could be wrong. meanwhile, origin just randomly reset my password? huh.

Ugh, and this is why I hate Lets Plays.

Why do they all have to do the same shit? They keep and keep yammering DURING FUCKING CONVERSATIONS.

Its very simple: Shut the FUCK up during conversations, save your shitty "commentary" for the long moments of shooty-shooty-bang-bang-exploration thingie that happens in between conversations. If you absolutely MUST talk during a conversation, PLEASE activate Subtitles.

I don't know why so many lets-players keep doing this shit. Keep subtitles disabled, keep yammering on when other characters talk. Imagine trying to watch a movie, but everyone in the cinema is talking at the top of their lungs. That's them in a nutshell. I don't mind commentary during a videogame letsplay, in fact a lot are pretty funny, witty and can add to the experience, but come on, I'm trying to hear what they're saying, and they completely DROWN the entire convo, but then have the audacity to ask "so what do you think of the dialog?" Really? I have no fucking clue because you keep talking over it.

/rant.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, rough review. Still it seems his complaint is largely with the dialogue? Maybe that's a taste issue, but I can imagine that the early part of the game is going to much more exposition heavy than later.

Seems like a lot of elements of DAI were kept. Shit tons of quests that are little more than "click on this thing". Fortunately you can ignore most of those and bee-line right through the main game as always.

Either way, I paid 5 bucks to try it early and I've no complaints with that.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

In a different topic: I do have a single complaint about the game so far. In between all the amazing stuff I've seen up until now, one sticks out glaringly: The character creator is indeed very limited in scope. You can choose from 9 (Admittedly not very good) presets, and then do minor tweaks to them, but nothing too drastic. After being so thoroughly impressed with the character creator in Inquisition, this one is a major step-down.

Wait you can try it out now? I thought that wasn't until Thurs/Fri
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The RockPaperShotgun article is probably going to get taken down because they broke their NDA. If it is the same one that every other Dev gives out. Then you are allowed to preview the game for others. But you cannot post a review until the embargo is lifted. Even if it is the first few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    The RockPaperShotgun article is probably going to get taken down because they broke their NDA. If it is the same one that every other Dev gives out. Then you are allowed to preview the game for others. But you cannot post a review until the embargo is lifted. Even if it is the first few hours.
    Did the preview embargo lift today? Because if so, it's likely fair game (I think I saw a few other previews? can't remember). Because it sure didn't look like any kind of proper review when I opened it, and that embargo lifts next Monday at 12AM EST.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Not what I heard. I heard you can post reviews of the first 10 hours, just not the full game. And that's what RPS did with their review, strictly the first few hours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Reading most of that review I have to say I don't think it holds much weight. Some of the things just look like he needs to find issues to meet a word count quota. Others are issues but don't seem that big. Like your squad mates standing on a couch.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...omment-2400891

While the reviwers statement was mostly an attempt at comedy is is funny that comment exists. I wonder if he is trying to hedge his bets that other critics review it poorly so he can be the "first" of the industry that all agrees together. Much like movie reviews where critics tend to all review the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    How is the reviewer surprised at andromeda's terrible writing, when bioware's writing hasn't been good for years now... Not saying the game will be bad, just that good writing isn't that common for bioware games any more.
    Even more so when he expected good writing and bad combat when Mass Effect has always had decent combat mechanics.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Reading most of that review I have to say I don't think it holds much weight. Some of the things just look like he needs to find issues to meet a word count quota. Others are issues but don't seem that big. Like your squad mates standing on a couch.
    Yep. He really sounds like someone who's looking for shit to bitch about. Far from a credible review. I've already found two that are much more positive of the game so far.

Mass Effect has always had decent combat mechanics.
    Yep, well the combat in 1 wasn't really my thing, but in 2 and 3 it was simply amazing. That fight against Tela Vasir, and against Clone!Shepard are still ingrained in my head as some of the best boss fights I've had the pleasure of doing in a videogame.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...omment-2400891
    Oh heavens, a critic made an in-parenthesis joke in an preview piece. BETTER HOLD HIS FEET TO THE FIRE FOR SUCH UNPROFESSIONALISM.

Are we seriously trying to undermine his piece based off of what, 9 words?

Even more so when he expected good writing and bad combat when Mass Effect has always had decent combat mechanics.
    ME1 combat was pretty awful. 2 was a bit better, 3 sadly felt a lot like full on Gears of Bro third person shooting, which was pretty disappointing. I was hoping they were going to move away from it, because honestly it's one of the least interesting types of shooter combat to me. Yeah, biotics and abilities keep things a bit interesting, but they only do so much when the foundation of your combat system is, "Find a convenient chest high wall to get behind and start shooting!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    In a different topic: I do have a single complaint about the game so far. In between all the amazing stuff I've seen up until now, one sticks out glaringly: The character creator is indeed very limited in scope. You can choose from 9 (Admittedly not very good) presets, and then do minor tweaks to them, but nothing too drastic. After being so thoroughly impressed with the character creator in Inquisition, this one is a major step-down.
    That is likely because Scott, Sara, and Alec all resemble each other. In order to have the 3 linked like that some things have to remain constant across the board. I honestly don't mind because I usually just cycle through presets and adjust slightly anyways.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    It seems like they kept all of the colorization features (severely lacking in the ME Trilogy), but very few of the customization features.

I will note this though: they're using sliders, THANK FUCKING GOD. (Specifically thank the god of fucking.)
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are we seriously trying to undermine his piece based off of what, 9 words?
    Its no different then many of your critiques of this game. But I guess you missed the part where I said its the reviewers attempt at humor and funny the comment exists. Did it hit to close to home and you got triggered into a defense?

- - - Updated - - -

ME1 combat was pretty awful. 2 was a bit better, 3 sadly felt a lot like full on Gears of Bro third person shooting, which was pretty disappointing. I was hoping they were going to move away from it, because honestly it's one of the least interesting types of shooter combat to me. Yeah, biotics and abilities keep things a bit interesting, but they only do so much when the foundation of your combat system is, "Find a convenient chest high wall to get behind and start shooting!"
    If I was them I would certainly go for the chest high wall and start shooting. Of course you on the other hand would be laying dead at my fight because you stood there shouting "pew pew" right out in the open like target. Thanks for allowing me to save the galaxy and defeat the reapers.

Its no different then many of your critiques of this game. But I guess you missed the part where I said its the reviewers attempt at humor and funny the comment exists. Did it hit to close to home and you got triggered into a defense?
    Sure, if you ignore your follow up bit where you're basically accusing him of shitting on the game so he can pointlessly call out "FIRST". But you did.

Nobody is triggered, yo. But thanks for your concern.

If I was them I would certainly go for the chest high wall and start shooting. Of course you on the other hand would be laying dead at my fight because you stood there shouting "pew pew" right out in the open like target. Thanks for allowing me to save the galaxy and defeat the reapers.
    Alternatively, finding a system that's a bit more interesting than a combat system largely created a decade and a half ago with little in the way of alterations.

Then again, we're in a galaxy where a chest high concrete wall is capable of stopping many Reaper attacks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-03-15 at 01:41 AM.

So it's basically Mass Effect: Inquisition. It's fucking astonishing how Bioware seems incapable of learning from their mistakes.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if you ignore your follow up bit where you're basically accusing him of shitting on the game so he can pointlessly call out "FIRST". But you did. Nobody is triggered, yo. But thanks for your concern.
    So I can only share an opinion of a review if I'm agreeing with it. Gotcha. But then why didn't you bring that up in your first response?

Humanity travels to a new galaxy for the first time, there’s so much hope, so much potential, but oh noes, everything’s horrid, and there’s a reptilian-looking alien race on a dusty sand planet that shoots you with ray guns on first sight. Really?!
    That is one of the gems that sets the tone for the article. So an alien in a new galaxy can't shoot on sight? A new galaxy has to be different by virtue of being a new galaxy? The reviewer has some pretty clear bias going on and like I said seems to be meeting a word quota in the way they trash on certain subjects. But of course I can't mention any of that because a comment being funny can't happen since I disagree with the review.

Alternatively, finding a system that's a bit more interesting than a combat system largely created a decade and a half ago with little in the way of alterations.
    Like what? Every combat system for FPS or TPS has been done. They all have their flaws and they have all been created decades ago.

Despite my skepticism, I'd take the RPS preview with grains of salt. I've seen previews elsewhere that were much more positive, and we'll likely see plenty of solid reviews. So will vary depending on personal taste etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogno di Volare View Post
    I told you Month ago that the Game is complete trash. But the Fanboys won't listen.

"Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO." ...damn, I expected they learned from DA3...
    Paying a lot of attention to a game you knew was trash pal

Then again, we're in a galaxy where a chest high concrete wall is capable of stopping many Reaper attacks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    How would you make a shooter all that more interesting though? There's really not much to guns to be honest, it's just aiming and pulling a trigger. Melee combat is really where the excitement would come in with things like fighting styles and maybe some acrobatic moves if you wanted to be flashy.