Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What other MMO / upcoming MMO?

Besides WoW?

I've tried titles like Guild Wars 2, Wildstar, FF XIV, but I don't fancy any of them. Well, actually I play XIV only when there's new story patches avaliable, because I'm a fan of the series. Haven't tried Black Desert or ESO because nothing there really draws my interest.

There's any other kind of upcoming MMO in 2018 to look after?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there are.

The genre is a limitation on itself.

I have been dabbling a tad in ESO and i must say so far i have been pleasantly surprised. The story from the quest are well done. even the side quest are story driven. Plus the quest are voiced over which is a added bonus.

I don't know of any decent MMO's coming out, but I've recently found myself really, really, really getting into TERA all of a sudden. I played at launch and it didn't hold my interest, but something they've done to the game in the years since has made it a lot more fun than I found it at launch. And with the Vanguard quest system and avatar weapons, leveling, even on a brand new account, is pretty quick and painless. I've played off and on for about two weeks, mostly a few hours on the weekend, and already have a character at level 50.

There are some problems with it, though:

- If you're not a fan of more action-oriented gameplay, you probably won't like it.
    - If you like playing spellcasters, there is only one offensive spellcaster in the game (Sorceror, typical multi-elemental mage with fire, lightning, ice and a little bit of arcane/void/psychic thrown in)
    - If you like playing healers, you have two choices - A Priest and a Mystic. The priest is the throughput healer, whereas the Mystic has powerful group support. Solo healing harder content as a Mystic is perfectly viable, but a lot harder than doing so as a Priest. Some groups like having both, in which case the Mystic is mostly there for support and can do a little bit of damage. And for soloing, the Priest's damage dealing abilities are a lot stronger than the Mystic's, who relies on more on summons, which you don't get a more "permanent," tanky summon until level 50.
    - There's still the Archer and Gunner if you prefer ranged but don't want to play a Sorcerer.
    - Everything else is melee, melee, melee. MELEE ALL OVER THE PLACE.
    - Most classes are limited to the role they were designed for. Lancers and Brawlers are tanks. Priests and Mystics are Healers. Everything else is DPS. (Warriors and Berserkers have limited tanking abilities, but from what I can gather, they are not viable endgame tanks).

Minor Gripes:
    - If you don't like overly-sexualized characters and revealing armor (not exclusive to the Women, as they make High Elf and Castanic males overly sexy too with ripped, exposed abs/pecs, and Human males are buff as hell, though they don't tend to wear terribly revealing armor), you're probably not gonna like TERA.
    - There are Loli's, and they are popular to play. It's kinda cringy, but oh well.
    - All of the new classes they've added since launch (Reaper, Ninja, Valkyrie, Gunner, Brawler) have race/gender restrictions. All of them require a female character (though that will change with the next patch, which will allow Brawlers to be male). Reaper and Ninja, the two "edgiest" classes, are restricted to Elinn, the Loli race, which are exclusively female to begin with. The Gunner can be female High Elf, Castanic or Elinn (the latter of which was only just recently added with the promotion of "Mini Gunners"). The Brawler can (currently) only be Human females. And lastly, the Valkyrie can only be Castanic females (which at least makes a little bit of sense, considering Valkyries in mythology were female anyway).
    - There's a lot of thematic overlap between the classes on the surface, but once you dig deep, they're all fairly unique. In the original classes, I always found the Slayer and Berserker to be redundant, but the more I've played around, the more I realized they have their own places. From the three original melee classes, the Warrior was the quick, agile dual wielder and the Berserker was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum: Slow with a big two-handed axe. Their abilities require holding the buttons down to "charge" for slow, hard hitting attacks. Additionally, they'd rather block attacks than dodge them. The Slayer is somewhere in the middle. Big, two handed sword so still hits hard, but not as hard as the Berserker. Likewise, they're more agile, with the ability to dodge, but I believe it costs more resources than the Warrior's dodge. Additionally, the Slayer has more focus on sweeping AoE attacks, where the Warrior is more of sustained DPS and the Berserker more of Burst DPS.
    - The three melee DPS classes they've added all overlap the same niches covered by the existing ones, though they're definitely fun to play (I'm personally a fan of the Valkyrie). From what I can gather, they all have strong AoE abilities. The Valkyrie has the most ridiculous burst (both for ST and AoE) in the game, but outside of the burst, their damage is a little lackluster. Ninja, from what I've seen, is the strongest DPS, and lastly, the Reaper has the benefit of being "midrange" using scythes on chains as their weapon (though to be honest, even ranged is up in melee most of the time in this game).

Overall, I find the game very fun. The classes are fun to play. They all start off a bit slow, but by level 10 you should have an idea how they will generally feel later on. Most don't truly come into their own until about level 20. Fortunately, getting to both of those points is quick and easy and can be done in a couple of hours. Also, the graphics are great, animations are very nice, and the zones are beautiful. It probably wouldn't replace a game as my Primary MMO of choice, but it's still a lot of fun to play. Also, it's free, though the 2 character slot per server limitation gets frustrating when testing out all of the classes. Subscribers get double experience, but the leveling for free players is by no means slow. The cash shop doesn't seem to offer much in the way of performance enhancements that I can tell - yet. Almost everything I've seen is cosmetic or your typical MMO payed services like character renames/customizations/transfers/etc... I could be wrong on that end, though.

I will also say that the story's not spectacular and the voice acting is meh, but I rarely play MMO's for the story aspects. I play for gameplay first, and if it seems interesting, I'll get my lore from external resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Black Desert is the best MMORPG on the market currently.

Deleted
    There haven't been a good mmo in a while now, as they are really expensive and hard to make. Plus why bother making an mmo if a yearly multiplayer lobby release will do the trick for a fraction of cost and effort. And what mmos are left, generally are drowning in f2p bullshit.

Last good one would probably be FFXIV, but last time I've played it was going through ToTGC phase, which killed any desire to touch it. No idea how are things now.

You may want to give Blade and Soul a bash. Overall it's a bad game, but it's really fun up until you hit that buy gold or spend years farming wall.

Honestly. No.

Crowfall is overhyped, half the EA/Kickstarted MMOs look like failed promises and so on.

I mean Battle for Azeroth will probably be out this year and that's all I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasek View Post
    Uhhhh what?

Next interesting mmo will come out when vr is mainstream.

It might not be next, but it is on its way: https://www.reddit.com/r/parsecfrontiers/

Quote Originally Posted by Vasek View Post
    That is easily one of the most subjective things someone could say in this thread. Black Desert is way too grindy for a lot of people and has almost no group content outside of trading and PVP. It's also fairly pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by cleany View Post
    I have been dabbling a tad in ESO and i must say so far i have been pleasantly surprised. The story from the quest are well done. even the side quest are story driven. Plus the quest are voiced over which is a added bonus.
    I like ESO myself but the voice acting in all Elder Scrolls games bugs me after a while since it's just the same handful of actors over and over.

Does anyone feel like there is even a chance for something better than WoW coming out? WoW has been so high for so long, that they have had the budget to expand so much that it's untouchable.

Bless looks interesting. It will release sometime in 2018 http://store.steampowered.com/app/681660/Bless_Online/

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Does anyone feel like there is even a chance for something better than WoW coming out? WoW has been so high for so long, that they have had the budget to expand so much that it's untouchable.
    I don't think being better is a simple matter of budget or is the same as successful. Budget is needed to ensure smooth operation and enjoyable graphics, but concept and design can hardly be measured in $$. I play Guild Wars 2 besides WoW and I find it has more soul these days. More engaging, certainly, and part of that is the art direction - more realistic that WoW's cartoonish looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I don't think being better is a simple matter of budget or is the same as successful. Budget is needed to ensure smooth operation and enjoyable graphics, but concept and design can hardly be measured in $$. I play Guild Wars 2 besides WoW and I find it has more soul these days. More engaging, certainly, and part of that is the art direction - more realistic that WoW's cartoonish looks.
    I guess I find the more "realistic" looking MMOs like GW2 and ESO are worse in engagement than WOW. Mostly because they all look extremely outdated. Like I'm playing game from the Xbox 360 or something. That to me is worse than the cartoony WoW stuff but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalem View Post
    I guess I find the more "realistic" looking MMOs like GW2 and ESO are worse in engagement than WOW. Mostly because they all look extremely outdated. Like I'm playing game from the Xbox 360 or something. That to me is worse than the cartoony WoW stuff but to each their own.
    WoW's cartoony style is better suited for the long-term, as it certainly ages less. I do not find GW2 outdated (the latest expansion updated system requirements, maybe graphics as well - I can't say, I had a long hiatus before that), but that is a matter of perception.

Haven't played WoW in almost 3 years; currently I'm splitting time between FF14 and ESO, the former I've played for most of the years since I quit playing WoW, the latter a gift I received as of this past Christmas. Both will be getting major patches in the next 4-6 weeks timeframe, so I'm finding I have more than plenty to dink around with between the two games. If I were to burn out on both of those, I'd probably give GW2 another go (which I played in equal amounts to MoP, since that was the current WoW xpac when GW2 launched). Even though I've played it the most over the past couple of years, it took several weeks for me to finally warm to FF14...as a MMO veteran (let alone gaming veteran), it starts off at a pace that snails could run circles around. Picks up nicely, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to find a game with the similar tab targeting combat as WoWs, FFXIV kinda has it but the GCD being longer always throws me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

I needed a WoW break so I jumped into ESO these past few nights and I like it. The atmosphere is really relaxing but I might be screwing myself over avoiding crafting. I just hate crafting in games. It's a chore. The only crafting I've ever liked was in EQ2.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

15+ Year Old Account
    Battle for Azeroth and Bless Online are the only things coming out in 2018 afaik.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.