Thread: Trigger-Unhappy

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Trigger-Unhappy

http://www.economist.com/news/united...rigger-unhappy

So my subscription of The Economist this morning...

I thought SJW talk was mostly confined to the internet. Kind of shocked.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-06-15 at 11:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psh, I managed to attend UW for 2 years back when "All Texans are Bush loving shitheads" was the prevailing attitude. People just need to suck it up as long as its not actually harmful action-wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Psh, I managed to attend UW for 2 years back when "All Texans are Bush loving shitheads" was the prevailing attitude. People just need to suck it up as long as its not actually harmful action-wise.
    I heard about the incident at Iowa. Some of my fellow students were pissed about it and went to the protest. I honeslty didn't care much to look into it and I went my own way.

Didn't know these brits noticed.

"I don't feel safe."
    Then go home.

Anyone know when the United States ratified the Constitution to have "freedom of feeling 'X'"

You'll never go anywhere in America more committed to uniformity of thought and ideological homogeneity than a college campus. To borrow a phrase, what's the opposite of diversity? University.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Is that why my university has numerous Christian, conservative, and Republican groups, as well as atheist, liberal, and Democrat groups, both of which receive equal treatment from the university?
    It was about the clever word play stop ruining it with afterthoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It was about the clever word play stop ruining it with afterthoughts.
    I'm also guessing "equal treatment from the university" is very much in the eye of the beholder, especially if we're including in "the university" the student body community in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF nerding.

Nixx, I was referring to terms like Trigger and stuff. I see and talk about it mostly on here. Was kind of shocked to see it made the Economist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really not a big fan of this whole SJW labeling fad. Either people have public support or the law on their side or they don't. If people can bring light to the issue and get something to change so be it. We're adults, we're supposed to be able to talk out or problems.

Using the SJW label just seems to be an easy way out from trying to defend your point. It's pretty much the equivalent of calling Sandra Fluke a slut who wants free birth control and ignoring the fact she's a lawyer with her own health care.

Deleted
    People without a PTSD diagnose should shut up about triggers.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2015-06-16 at 06:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    People without a PSTD diagnose should shut up about triggers.
    but what if being called mean words online caused their PTSD?

Seriously, Universities turn into a laughing stock at best, or ideological indoctrination centers at worst, at this rate.
    Especially in the light of radfems trying to ban a feminist from speaking (as happened with C.H. Sommers for her oberlin speech)

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Using the SJW label just seems to be an easy way out from trying to defend your point.
    It's easier for manchildren to divide the world into Alliance and Horde.

Deleted
    She's a wolf in sheep's clothing, really.
    w/o context this doesn't make sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    It's easier for manchildren to divide the world into Alliance and Horde.
    Nah, it was pretty easy for Blizzard to do that.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    From what it looks like, Nixx is one of the "DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY!" radfems.
    WOmen have achieved equality (or more) already. There's nothing to fight anymore in these waters. They should either look to places where womens rights are still an issue or turn on their watchdog mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    From what it looks like, Nixx is one of the "DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY!" radfems.
    WOmen have achieved equality (or more) already. There's nothing to fight anymore in these waters. They should either look to places where womens rights are still an issue or turn on their watchdog mode.
    'We would like to thank Rosa Parks for ending racism.'
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Realizing that there is something called social inequality, something that goes beyond 'legal equality' doesn't make someone a radical feminist.

The social aspect and legal aspect are completely seperate things. Honduras isn't suddenly an utopic paradise for equality, because they no longer give people the death penalty for being gay.

Wether some women or men enjoy this status quo of social inequality and gender expectations is a completely different topic in itself, but it's worth mentioning at least, as well as pondering how much of it is choice and how much of it is social indoctrination.
    Social equality can't be enforced, it has to grow on it's own. flaying people in the court of social justice (which, funnily enough, is neither social nor just) for wrongthink doesn't really create an utopia either, quite the opposite in fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    It can definitely be assisted through things such as affirmative action, but for the most part governments don't get involved and everything that goes on is purely social dymanics playing out and finding a balance.
    Participating in the outrage culture is def. not "assisting it". If anything it has the opposite effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Participating in the outrage culture is def. not "assisting it". If anything it has the opposite effect.
    Logic doesn't work here, abandon your stance, its too late

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I thought SJW talk was mostly confined to the internet. Kind of shocked.
    It spread ages ago, everyone wants to feel accepted and part of something bigger. American campuses are a breeding ground for the offended to keep on ruining everything lest their views be even slightly challenged.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of whatever she may have been, at this point she's basically an anti-feminist who still calls herself a feminist. Her version of feminism is basically "Once you have legal equality, shut up and sit down," completely overlooking the importance of social equality. She also espouses a lot of sketchy views on a wide variety of subjects, and generally likes to play up shortcomings in the versions of feminism she's critical of as though they're unique to those versions, even as she sometimes reveals the same shortcomings in herself and her preferred versions.
    I've seen nothing but factually backup view points from her, personally. I love the work she's doing, I hope she gets more support for it.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh