10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

No idea honestly if we have a thread for this or not but if we do mods can just merge them because i sure as hell am not looking through 40 pages. Going to just label it as Uncharted 4 to make it easier on them

http://kotaku.com/uncharted-4s-e3-de...ble-1711573186
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...eplay-revealed
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/unc.../1100-6428273/

Drake displayed some brand new combat moves, including a spectacular flying punch that saw him knock an enemy down and catch their discarded gun in the one movement. The world itself looks far more open than fans have come to expect from previous Uncharted games, and the level of environmental destruction appears to have been ratcheted up to new heights – particularly in the market stall section of the demo which saw almost everything splintering into pieces under a hail of bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I've seen, with all the crazy set-pieces that you're throwing into Uncharted 4, it feels as thought you're designing it as the final game in the series. Would that be a fair assessment?

Druckmann: Well our approach has been, the first three games were the set-up, and if we were to do one more, how would we top it all off? How would we bring Nathan Drake's journey to a close? Everything we're doing is constructed towards that; Bringing closure to a very long journey.

That journey isn't about just chasing treasure, it's also about your relationships you have formed along the way.

Is that what interests you most about Uncharted 4, the relationships?

Druckmann: I think as far as the story goes, relationships are the most important. In terms of what interests me the most, that fluctuates a little. Even with something like this, which is a stylised reality, with the classic 'good guys versus bad guys', you can still tell a human story.

Yeah you would think that, and at first it was an adjustment. After Uncharted 2, I thought I was done with the series. Bruce [Shelly, co-director] probably feels the same way. But our bosses asked us to come direct the game and, it was like coming home to something really special. And we didn't realise how much we missed it, because The Last of Us is such a different game, and we had a team that worked so hard to tone down all the bombast that Uncharted is so well known for.

Please don't take offense by this, but were I in your shoes, I think I wouldn't want to make a forth Uncharted. The third game ended so clean, and then The Last of Us happened, which was your chance to build a new story, and to create a new world, and everyone went bananas for it. I just think, the most amazing possibilities had opened for you, and then you had to go back and make another Uncharted.

Druckmann: So, that was the constraints of The Last of Us, and working on Uncharted 4 in some ways is freedom. As you can see in the demonstration, we can really go big and just have fun with it. In the real world, being dragged along by a jeep would probably kill you, but in Drake's world, he lives off of this stuff.

"After Uncharted 2, I thought I was done with the series. But our bosses asked us to come direct the game and, it was like coming home to something really special."

Speaking of that spectacle, you're adding so much craziness into the game, so much razzamatazz, that I wonder how far can you go without jumping the shark?

Druckmann: Well, we have a core team of designers who are always talking and keeping each other in check. We have people who are constantly asking the right questions of tone, and there are occasions where we've decided something is too big, so we tone it down. It doesn't always have to be on 11.

How much more effort is required in the transition to next-gen?

Druckmann: Oh, well it's a nightmare, right? We were finally coming to grips with working on the PS3, and then the rug was pulled from under us and we get whole new hardware to try and understand.

With the PS3, so much of the limitation was memory, and on PlayStation 4 we have so much of that, the new limitation is how can we get so much of that information from the disc to RAM as quickly as possible.

So different bottlenecks become apparent, and the world now is so big that we are driving through so much content that needs to be created. So to give you an example of how we simplify things, we tag certain materials in broad types, so you're not creating every single asset from scratch. A building is made from certain groups of materials, which lowers the processing load, which means we can create lots more content much more quickly.

This is your first attempt at a PlayStation 4 title, from scratch. How would you summarise working with the hardware?

Druckmann: I guess that working on The Last of Us Remastered really helped us. It allowed us to port our engine over. Because the hardest thing with working on new hardware is it takes so long to get something on the screen, and then get something on the screen at a good enough frame-rate so that we can analyse how it plays.

So, just doing The Last of Us Remastered helped. I mean, Uncharted 4 was rough at first, but now we feel we're at a good place. There's still a few more things we have to still add in, but most of the mechanics are in, and we're now iterating on them.

It was interesting to see in the trailer that Nathan appears to take one of several routes in his Jeep. How open-world is this game?

Druckmann: Yeah, I mean the term we use is wide-linear. It's not open-world, because we wanted to tell a very specific story, with very specific tension. The thing I have a hard time with, in open-world games, is that there's a lack of tension. Say if my ally's life is in jeopardy; I can still go off and do five different side-quests, and I don't believe that jeopardy. So I feel we need some way to control the pacing, and it needs to be ways where you are still active as well.

For us, the story is king. I don't mean writing, and I don't mean script. What I mean is, there's a certain experience we're trying to make, and that's going to trump the gameplay, that's going to trump the graphics. This high-level experience we create should, eventually, win that argument of what this game is going to be.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts while watching the demo, "Naughty Dog's still got it."

Looks amazing and pretty much everything I want from Uncharted.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had so much fun with the Last of Us multiplayer that i'm going to buy this and hope that the online experience is just an good!

10+ Year Old Account
    They put out an extended version of their E3 demo yesterday.

Why is Naughty Dog so fucking good? I literally garnered more enjoyment watching the above 15 minute video of Uncharted 4 than I have from some, fuck it MOST, full games.

If I wasn't a lazy piece of shit and didn't have to find my PS3 and plug it in I would play the entire Uncharted series over again right now.

"Naughty Dog quality" is all I can say.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-07-02 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Looking forward for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look forward to this for some reason, I just never liked the first one so didn't bother with any others, I hear it gets better. I found it a bit too dated mechanics wise but seeing as I only bought it last year thats understandable. Naughty Dog are ace, so I still want to get this when I eventually bite the bullet and get a next gen console.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I look forward to this for some reason, I just never liked the first one so didn't bother with any others, I hear it gets better. I found it a bit too dated mechanics wise but seeing as I only bought it last year thats understandable. Naughty Dog are ace, so I still want to get this when I eventually bite the bullet and get a next gen console.
    You should try Uncharted 3. It's a master piece.

Will literally be the third PS4 game I get.

Last gen I owned only xBox 360 and played few great exclusives for PS at my friends house - Shadow of Colossus HD, Demon's Souls.

This gen I own both consoles and a Vita, and playing Killzone, Infamous, DriveClub, Left For Dead, God of War on Vita, Playstation exclusives are very weaksauce, compared to behemoths like Halo, Gears of War, Forza.

Now Bloodborne, as Demon's Souls, is insane, but these long running franchises are utter crap trying to make some blows to xBox exclusives. It's just "me too" stuff, worthless.

Will get this another, probably pathetic, installment after it goes to garbage bin for 10 euros...
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Last gen I owned only xBox 360 and played few great exclusives for PS at my friends house - Shadow of Colossus HD, Demon's Souls.

This gen I own both consoles and a Vita, and playing Killzone, Infamous, DriveClub, Left For Dead, God of War on Vita, Playstation exclusives are very weaksauce, compared to behemoths like Halo, Gears of War, Forza.

Now Bloodborne, as Demon's Souls, is insane, but these long running franchises are utter crap trying to make some blows to xBox exclusives. It's just "me too" stuff, worthless.

Will get this another, probably pathetic, installment after it goes to garbage bin for 10 euros...
    Can you write that in a way that makes sense.

It reads like xbox fanboy prefers xbox games.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2015-07-02 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Can you write that in a way that makes sense.

It reads like xbox fanboy prefers xbox games.
    PS exclusives are shit targeted to japanese audience. Same as PS controllers. I mean obviously I bought PS4 first, because it was a clearly superior console from presentations. But then you learn that PS4, based on FreeBSD - 2014 PC with 8 core AMD CPU, cannot play audio CDs, mp3s, let alone videos. And later, when MS unfuck itself and started selling xbox without kinect and denied their 'undeniable' drm only shit, xBox One controller made my hands feel an orgasm. Because US, EU hands.

US, EU majority despise that, because they like US, EU things. Because they are US, EU.
    Simples.

And please don't call me a fanboy, because unlike fanboys I have arguments for reasons why I dislike said product and your beloved product will be decimated. Unless you're the fanboy and won't listen to any arguments...

siiiiiigh
    Last edited by ldev; 2015-07-02 at 09:43 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    PS exclusives are shit targeted to japanese audience. Same as PS controllers. I mean obviously I bought PS4 first, because it was a clearly superior console from presentations. But then you learn that PS4, based on FreeBSD - 2014 PC with 8 core AMD CPU, cannot play audio CDs, mp3s, let alone videos. And later, when MS unfuck itself and started selling xbox without kinect and denied their 'undeniable' drm only shit, xBox One controller made my hands feel an orgasm. Because US, EU hands.

US, EU majority despise that, because they like US, EU things. Because they are US, EU.
    Simples.

And please don't call me a fanboy, because unlike fanboys I have arguments for reasons why I dislike said product and your beloved product will be decimated. Unless you're the fanboy and won't listen to any arguments...

siiiiiigh
    Well, half of rour reasoning was basically "I don't like PS because Japanese, I like Xbox because 'Murican", soooo...yeah.

As for "his beloved product" (presumably your condescending way of saying Playstation) being decimated by XBox, I think you need a reality check on that one.

But hey, let's not send the entire thread off-topic because of one hater jumping in to hate. Trailer looked great, and I look forward to Uncharted 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Well, half of rour reasoning was basically "I don't like PS because Japanese, I like Xbox because 'Murican", soooo...yeah.

As for "his beloved product" (presumably your condescending way of saying Playstation) being decimated by XBox, I think you need a reality check on that one.
    Please. Do you have any idea about technology whatsoever? And about japanese culture?

You little bitch shush. And listen.

First:
    Japanese are insanely xenophobic. Like bars with signs in japanese basicaly telling "foreigners fuck off". So they do not really care about other cultures other than japanese. So they target everything for japanese. Japanese hands are small and they touched same shitty controller from PS1 era and it suits them. Now, nordic people have normal hands, not small ones. PS controller is a joke. It's shit. Only redeeming feature - integrated rechargable batteries. Does not hold a handle with it's shitty gimmicky useless touch pad against perfect 'murican' and european xOne controller. Exclusives, like final fantasy... Well, just look at these game genre - JRPG. Now you fap to anime and think that you are important, but people praising japanese culture and masturbating to cartoons are actually a minority in US and EU.......

Second:
    Japanese have this mentality "hardware uber alles". You little bitch, have you been to japanese software development firm? They'll rather waste millions on motors than waste millions on AI software. And in PS4 it really shows. Hardware is superb: smaller, more elegant, integrated PSU, etc. But look at their PS4 OS. It's based on FreeBSD. Yet.... it... cannot... play... MP3s!!! Are you kidding me? They spent so much time on hardware, they forgot to include basic functionality like MP3 players. Literally every TV, phone, car radio, and even a fridge can play MP3s. But not PS4. PS4, 2014 hardware. With FreeBSD. With x86 CPU. You little bitch, check FreeBSD ports, there's plenty of software to play MP3s........... And this huuuuuuuuuuuuge update comes out to "enable mp3s" and what they do? They say you can play MP3s from...... USB STICKS!. I'm sorry. It's literally XX century suggesting to use FLOPPIES to play music. Meanwhile even a god damn cheap ass TV supports this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...twork_Alliance Oh, and if you mr fanboy still think Sony or japan (rofl ruby...) has any idea about software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_P...Network_outage
    Professional

I could go on. But it would be a waste of time. How can you not understand, that clearly inferior PS4 is dominating sales only because MS tried to force DRM and kinect?.. DRM and kinect is gone, PS4 sucks balls, come one...

Their PS4 is targeted to japan. Together with exclusives. And I'll repeat myself - if you masturbate to tentacles cartoons, you're a minority. My post targeted majority. In the US and EU. Where xOne shits all over on PS4... Both with software, even shitty big hardware, where having big useless SUV is 'fuck yeah', and exclusive games'.

---

OOOOOH how about multiplat titles? Yes xOne inferior hardware runs on 900p compared to PS4 1080p. But have you tried Witcher 3 side by side? Where PS4 fails and doesn't load textures, so you're looking at low res textures and then some texture pop in? Is 1080p worth it compared to indistinguishable 900p on TV? Really?
    And you know why we have this shit? Again - PS4 - superior hardware, but software wise, simple graphic APIs - suck ball. xOne has Direct-X, PS4 has even shittier OpenGL copy.
    rofl
    Last edited by ldev; 2015-07-02 at 10:10 PM.

PS exclusives are shit targeted to japanese audience.
    Ya, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, God of War, Horizon, Little Big Planet, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous, Gran Turismo are all clearly targeted at Japanese when the western sales dwarf them. Even Bloodborne is more targeted at the west(look at the recent data of the souls series 8 million sold, 980k of that in Japan).

Also if EU doesn't like PS exclusives why has Xbox never been able to make a dent in the european market as a whole? You realize the PS4 is out selling the bone 3:1 in Europe right and the PS3 to 360 was about the same?

The Xbox brand has always been kept alive by the US, and now the US market has even bought more PS4s then Xbones hmm...

The west doesn't care about Playstation though!

Meanwhile to get back on topic you will never see a game with the graphical fidelity and physics calculations going on in Uncharted 4 on the Xbox One. It's not even because of the power advantage so much as it is MS has no studio on their payroll anywhere near as talented. Sony basically has 3, Naughty Dog, SSM, and Quantic Dream. Compare those 3 studios ps3 games to 360 exclusive games and let's talk...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-07-02 at 10:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh dear, idev has lost it. He thinks the xbox brand shits all over Sony in eu yet Sony has 70% market share in Europe...clueless people are clueless.
    Somewhere in that rant you mentioned mp3 playback as if it means anything, sure it's a feature it should have had but in this day and age everyone has alternative ways, it's not a system seller. Also you complain about usb keys then mention audio cds..What year are we in.

10+ Year Old Account
    With that out of the way... let's get back on topic.