10+ Year Old Account

Question 20-man only mechanics.

Simple question I suppose:

Which Mythic encounters, if any, made use of a specific ability that only a single class could bring?

One of the arguments for the fixed 20-man size of Mythic was that it allowed the designers to create encounters that had special mechanics for a group that largely guaranteed the availability of the right class. In my limited experience, I can’t think of a single fight that couldn’t have been tuned down to be either 10-man or flexible.

Was there one?

You can mind control those adds for Blast Furnace I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it count that you had to bring 5 hunters, 4 boomkins and 3 mages to every fight?

Deleted
    Stampeding Roar is a very nice tool to have. Also Warlocks on Iron Maidens and Warlock gates in general. Then you have Hunters Fox - Mages Amplify and Warrior intervene, pally bubbles. There is a lot of things classes bring. They may not be "required" as such, but they sure are nice to have.

EDIT: Iron Maidens in general required a lot of things. Pally bubbles for pen shot sub 20% and disc+holy shields for sanguine strikes.

Deleted
    Why are the moderators allowing multiple threads about the same thing?

Almost all of the bosses had such mechanics: Gruul, Iron Maidens, Blast Furnace, Blackhand, Kromog, Thogar just off the top of my head all had mechanics that were easily dealt with if you had a particular class (and especially if you had two of them) and bloody hard if you didn't.

Of course you can tune down mechanics and damage to accommodate fewer players. Obviously it would be dogshit but still. I can't even come up with any encounter where that wouldn't be possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Of course you can tune down mechanics and damage to accommodate fewer players. Obviously it would be dogshit but still. I can't even come up with any encounter where that wouldn't be possible.
    So are we saying that the argument for a set 20-man mode, based off of "specific mechanics", is purely hypothetical?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You can mind control those adds for Blast Furnace I guess
    What do you mean "can" ?

I though you had to MC the guards in order to remove the Hardened Slag buff from the Slag Elementals, meaning you had to have at least 1 priest to talent into Dominate Mind?

or was there some other way around that?

Yes, a priest is absolutely required for mythic Blast Furnace.

Frankly this has been a significant disappointment for me. One of the main reasons they cited for moving to 20-man was so they could design encounters on the assumption that a team had all classes available to them - and then the only use they've made of that flexibility was to throw in a complete gimmick that the fight would have been fine without. I worked hard to build a team that had plenty of class diversity, and for what - I could have stacked the best classes and had a much easier time of it.

AFAIK only real requirement was a priest for Mythic Furnace. Beyond that no class was absolutely required. Granted you always want a disc preist, 1-2 holy pallies, and a throughput healer to be on easy mode. 2-4 hunters for super mobile RDPS, Boomies for insane AoE, Demo locks for good multi target damage, and a BrM tank to cheese some mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    So are we saying that the argument for a set 20-man mode, based off of "specific mechanics", is purely hypothetical?
    Well there is blast furnace no idea what you are referring to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mythic Imperator was much easier with a death knight to grip a mage to the middle so the tanks had a spot to tank the Reaver without killing raid. Mythic Iron Maidens is much easier with a lock for the tornado placement and rogue for soaking the blood spray mechanic. (sorry drawing blanks). It's not necessarily that one is ABSOLUTELY needed, like Blast Furnace, but they are able to tune abilities with the knowledge that there is at least one player that can be best to counter the ability.

But then again, you did state in your LIMITED EXPERIENCE. If you only did shit like Beastlord or Gruul, then of course you wouldn't know or be able to see what classes were in mind when certain abilities were added.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

The only mandatory thing is priests for MC.

Thats one fight in 19 with no hint that any unique / clever stuff will be in HfC.

And to the people saying "raids are easier with 26 DK's to grip adds or whatever, you are answering a question that wasn't asked. Much grats.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    The only mandatory thing is priests for MC.

Thats one fight in 19 with no hint that any unique / clever stuff will be in HfC.

And to the people saying "raids are easier with 26 DK's to grip adds or whatever, you are answering a question that wasn't asked. Much grats.
    You mean 17 right?

DK's do make imperator easier. As do monks/warriors/druids with leaping out with mark.

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    You mean 17 right?

DK's do make imperator easier. As do monks/warriors/druids with leaping out with mark.
    17 indeed :s

10+ Year Old Account
    There are already threads discussing flex/10 man Mythic, and the simple question in the OP has been answered: 1 - Priests for Blast Furnace. Many other fights had mechanics made much easier with certain classes/specs, but that is the only one that required a specific class.