Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I read a story that basically said Chris Evans was having difficulty driving and talking to the camera at the same time and would also get motion sickness. This show will last one season.

What the new cast won't have and what the BBC probably doesn't understand is that Top Gear at it's core was basically a fantasy about you and your best mates clowning around livingly the life of riley. In your circle of friends you probably have or are a Clarkson, a Hammond or a May and what you certainly don't have is a LeBlanc or an Eddie Jordan (well you might do but he's a fucking tit and you really wish you didn't have a Jordan).

I'll give it a go but I'm not expecting much.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like they are trying to capture what Top Gear was without actually having what made Top Gear what it was..

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Yeah I'm not digging this. The original guys were honestly some of the funniest and most enjoyable people to watch on TV, hence why the show was as big as it was.

Kind of a shame that Jeremy Clarkson had to act like a dumb ass and ruin it but oh well they did make a lot of episodes.
    The thing that the BBC doesn't get is that many people didn't necessarily join the show for the cars. I'm not a big car fan myself, but I was a big fan of the show, particularily because of those three. Fake or not, the chemistry between them was old, felt genuine enough for me and entertaining as heck.

They could make a show about chicken breeding and I'd probably watch the heck out of that, to be honest.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    The Clarkson format had striking and/or popular electronic/techno/pop music, with smoothly done camera action and beautiful slow motions with meaningfully beautiful cars and locations in their show intros. This one had some of that, some of those beautifully filmed slow motions and so on, but horrid music choice with Fifth Gear -level BS mixed in.

The Clarkson format (and yes, that's pretty much exactly what it was) was purposefully machismo, over the top, ridiculous, big man-balls out swinging action, and Clarkson, while physically (aside from his height) quite far from a "man's man" just has that air about him and he can deliver all that ridiculousness so well. This bit we saw from it was anything but that.

We also know that Matt is a mouse of a man in real life, quiet and polite, and the ginger definitely isn't taking the macho spot in the trio. Or wait, was there a third? There's the ginger, LeBlanc and someone else? Anyways, who cares.

Cue all the SJWs and white knights yelling about how misogyny and equality, but I don't care really. That's the format Top Gear was. It mixed that man's man hilariousness, which it backed up with millions of pounds of production value in locations, vehicles and so on, with just three average-looking "lads" going about their business and doing silly stuff.

This intro just seemed like a cheap knock off.

Also, this sheds a light on why Hammond and May made the decision to stick with Clarkson even after they were offered big salaries and the opportunity to stay with the BBC; because they knew that their trio is what makes the show. What this intro has done is make people even more eager to see their new Amazon show.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not hung up on that BBC gets to keep the name Top Gear (because at this point it's just a title). It did unfortunately make sense that a public service organisation fires Clarkson after what he did.

The sum of it all is that the Clarkson and co are still going to make a car show. So in the end, why not see that as a win for car shows as we go +1 in total?

Also, his bad blood with the BBC got us this gem

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The thing that the BBC doesn't get is that many people didn't necessarily join the show for the cars. I'm not a big car fan myself, but I was a big fan of the show, particularily because of those three. Fake or not, the chemistry between them was old, felt genuine enough for me and entertaining as heck.
    Yeah, but I can without a shadow of a doubt give you a guarantee that the BBC knows Top Gear has been about the trio more than the cars. Hence the attempt to at least get to keep two of them, even if that would have been a very rocky road to get back from as well.

I guess you could make an argument that they should just cancel outright. But in the name of "Public Service", it makes sense to keep a motoring show since they've always had one, so keeping Top Gear even without the trio probably seemed like a good idea. Mind you, it is also likely that BBC International has syndication deals (ie deals to sell the episodes to tons of networks around the world) that are still valid, and there could be cash to gain from this decision to keep it around at least until those contracts are over. BBC UK themselves have no fear of "loss of ad-revenue" since they go by the TV-license money they keep collecting steadily from the UK citizens, but I'm sure the budget for the show would be WAY less were it not for the sell-ability of the show.

All that I take from the trailer is.. well.. a trailer. Not going to over-analyze because I've worked briefly with trailer-making for non-scripted shows and honestly it's a bit of a toss what ends up in them as you as the trailer editor is usually placed far away from the people who actually edit the program. I'd assume this trailer was poked around a lot by committee, though, and that rarely helps things.
    Last edited by Wries; 2016-04-01 at 05:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just pure disrespect towards the three if BBC thinks they can just replace the main cast of the show and still somehow call it the same. If they wanted to have a car show they should've just come up with something new.

I think this is pretty much what everyone expected, minus the sexual assault.

‘Top Gear’ Host Chris Evans Steps Down Amid Low Ratings, Sexual Assault Investigation

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't even bother watching it, just going to wait till The Grand Tour.

i thought Top Gear had Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust and Rutledge Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The Clarkson format had striking and/or popular electronic/techno/pop music, with smoothly done camera action and beautiful slow motions with meaningfully beautiful cars and locations in their show intros. This one had some of that, some of those beautifully filmed slow motions and so on, but horrid music choice with Fifth Gear -level BS mixed in.

The Clarkson format (and yes, that's pretty much exactly what it was) was purposefully machismo, over the top, ridiculous, big man-balls out swinging action, and Clarkson, while physically (aside from his height) quite far from a "man's man" just has that air about him and he can deliver all that ridiculousness so well. This bit we saw from it was anything but that.

We also know that Matt is a mouse of a man in real life, quiet and polite, and the ginger definitely isn't taking the macho spot in the trio. Or wait, was there a third? There's the ginger, LeBlanc and someone else? Anyways, who cares.

Cue all the SJWs and white knights yelling about how misogyny and equality, but I don't care really. That's the format Top Gear was. It mixed that man's man hilariousness, which it backed up with millions of pounds of production value in locations, vehicles and so on, with just three average-looking "lads" going about their business and doing silly stuff.

This intro just seemed like a cheap knock off.

Also, this sheds a light on why Hammond and May made the decision to stick with Clarkson even after they were offered big salaries and the opportunity to stay with the BBC; because they knew that their trio is what makes the show. What this intro has done is make people even more eager to see their new Amazon show.
    Top Gear was the only show on the BBC that was raw, masculine, politically-incorrect, unapologetic and hilarious. It combined the BBC's vast extorted financial resources with writers Wilman and Clarkson who rejected the BBC's left-wing extremism and that was a winning combination.

The BBC will never have another similarly successful show again.
    Last edited by lolpve; 2016-07-06 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    i thought Top Gear had Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust and Rutledge Wood
    That's the US version, which has recently been canceled.

15+ Year Old Account
    Top Gear without the trio never appealed to me. I was actually considering getting Amazon Prime again yesterday to watch The Grand Tour. I loved Top Gear before they fired Clarckson, though Hammond was always my favorite. He was the only one who had the proper "I'm getting paid to drive a Veyron 200+ miles an hour on tv" grin on his face every episode. May always came off as the uncle you see every few years who can't stop talking about how much better things used to be, but he still was essential to the banter. I know Jeremy was an asshole, but I can't see Top Gear ever being as popular again without them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was fine tbh I liked Joey from friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    That's the US version, which has recently been canceled.
    US version of anything is all that really matters at the end of the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would make sense if the us version hadn't flopped while the uk one is sold all over the world and is the most recognisable car show.

350 million viewers v 2 million ><

Deleted
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...evision_series

There's a great list of a huge number of flopped shows that took the British premise and made an attempt to make a US version out of it. Having said that, there are, of course, some amazing US versions as well.

Deleted
    I remember the US version of the IT Crowd, god that was terrible.

Matt Leblanc and Chris Harris were awesome, Eddie Jordan just Eddie Jordan which is amusing to watch. Chris Evans I never liked, but I've seen the series as a whole and to be honest I thought it was decent, the only personal I didn't like was Chris Evans, it could be a great show going forward IMO.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Being from the US, and being a fan of the real Top Gear, I must ask. What are you smoking?