How would you handle this?

So I joined a new guild recently. New guild already had a disc so I switched to holy and had my first raid night with them yesterday. Everything went well, 7 kills in NBRF.

After the run, I posted my logs to go through them and judge how badly I play holy (which is terrible).

Anyways, just wanting to go through some of my fellow raiders see how good they are, if I think they're using CDs properly and the such. Hey, I just joined a new guild, want to see if there is a future in mythic for us. Well, I came to our disc and wanted to see how well he kept AA up, PWS uptime, PI usage, and the like. Oh dear. Archangle? Whats that? PI usage? That's a talent? Barrier? hahahahhaha. He uses the 80/20 glyph for PWS..... Just dear lord, not the way I learned disc, nothing how i've read from top mythic disc to play. Yuck.

However, he is top heals. How do I bring these up? I'm last on the meters, so I'm afraid I'll be ignored or told I don't know what I'm talking about. Is it even worth bringing up? We aren't dying, granted most every overgears NBRF. Not sure how to hand this. A friend of mine says just leave it alone, we aren't close to mythic, I'm new to guild. Also, he overgears this so maybe he wasn't playing the best, the optimal priority as far as buffs/spell usage. Just bugs me I switched to holy, the inferior spec, gave up disc to this guy and I don't see him playing it correctly. I probably should just be grateful I'm in a guild that does raid. Oh well.

Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by rawrcain View Post
    I probably should just be grateful I'm in a guild that does raid. Oh well.
    Pretty much this. Either point out all the flaws of a (possible) long term member and then find yourself most likely kicked and looking for a new guild or stay quiet and enjoy raiding.

If you're getting the job done optimization is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of why disc needs a revamp. Even badly optimized and poorly played, it still tops the meters. ;/

But yes, be thankful you're in a guild that downs bosses, mainly.

I would dedicate myself to becoming the best holy priest this guild has ever seen. I would be annoyed by the disc priest, and never stop being annoyed, but I would only divulge this information to close friends, with the mutually agreed upon understanding that it was 90% venting frustrations, rather than real complaining.

If, by some miracle, the guild entered into Mythics and saw some promise of progress beyond 1 boss, and I had proven myself to be an invaluable healer as holy, I would approach the priest in a private vent channel and discuss how the healing team can be more effective, with no intention of switching roles, but instead to form a stronger healing team.

If you lack the conviction to wait long enough for all of these events to play out, which will in all likelihood take months to both prove yourself and earn enough trust to have a frank, candid conversation with a fellow healer, then I would perhaps look for a new guild that fits whatever ideals you perceive.

From the outset though, I'm not very sympathetic to people who want to tell others how to do their role while also admitting they are not very good at their assigned one. Although it will take time, you should be in a position to play whatever role you are in to the best of its and your abilities. If I showed up for my raid tomorrow and my guild told me that they didn't want my priest at all, and that they want me to level my level 85 ret paladin and get it ready for 6.2, I'd have three options:

1. I really want to raid with this guild. I accept their terms, and throw my everything into learning how to be the best ret paladin the world has seen.
    2. I'm really not that into them. I decline and stop raiding, and look for a guild that needs a priest that will allow me to play the way I want to.
    3. I try to work something out with the guild that will allow me to only come to raids when a priest with my abilities are needed, and I become a backup raider. Only showing when I'm allowed to play my chosen spec and role. The guild then has the option to decline and drop me from the raid. If I choose this path, I must be ready from the start to accept an unfavorable decision.

With whatever happens, good luck and have fun.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

You probably won't have any luck approaching the issue until you've proven yourself and done your time like Kilee said. There are very few guilds out there who are open to criticism (no matter how well intended or how accurate) from a new trial. So If you really want to stay in this guild, you'll just have to grin and bear it for now.

If it's something you just can't tolerate seeing, your best bet would be to try to make friends with the disc then casually keep asking about his/her strange choices without overwhelming him. Then you'll be able to at least see what his attitude is about having his choices questioned. If he reacts badly or defensively you'll be able to easily back up with an excuse, as long as you are subtle about it and sound modest.

You might be surprised and he might sound open to discussing disc mechanics, then you'll at least know that there is hope that you might be able to help him improve in the future.
    Last edited by carabaci; 2015-06-17 at 11:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so you killed seven bosses in NORMAL BRF and you're analyzing the potential for MYTHIC progression?

Yeah...you should probably just do all of those people a favor and quit the guild yourself. They're obviously not going to achieve what you want, and they obviously don't really care.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    From a political standpoint, it's probably best to just let him do his thing for as long as your group overgears content and is cruising. Whenever your team pushes higher content and finds its level (the point where progression becomes slow and difficult) is a good time to start discussing how people can optimize their play. That also means you gain some time to become better known in the group and people may be more inclined to listen to you.

But if your group is doing normals, it's likely just a casual "friends" type of guild and they may not ever be interested in optimizing their play. Which is fine so long as everyone on the team is okay with that (with any game, every player of it can decide for themselves how interested they are in putting in the time to develop expertise--any choice is personally valid so long as you aren't wasting other people's time). So that's also something you should evaluate and decide if you're in the wrong guild for your expectations.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.