Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Is "black church" preaches different religion or approach (is this even a right word?) to religion? Because Russian orthodox church and Jewish synagogue are very different hings and they divided by its believes, not by colour of skin.

My point is, is this "black church" is different from "white church" like "white school" is different from "black school", or it's different like "gay bar" and "a bar"?
    "Black church" is a church frequented majoritarily by blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    ...damn. Didn't think you would say that.
    You didn't think that I, personally would say that, or you didn't think that someone would say it?

10+ Year Old Account
    So, it's basically just a church, where majority of its "visitors" are black? Why label it as "black church" then? It just sounds very racist
    because historically, blacks had to make their own church. Whites wouldnt let blacks integrate with their church.

Quote Originally Posted by Khovai View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...an-ame-church/

Oh boy, here we go. This won't end well.
    Already ended badly didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    And his race has to something to do with it, how?
    White guy shoots up black church.

Yeah I'm sure race has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Edit: African-American church. Uh-oh.
    Doesn't say the victims are black.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    You didn't think that I, personally would say that, or you didn't think that someone would say it?
    Who else could I be referring to when I said you, especially since I was directly replying to your post.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    Still zero proof yet that race was a factor. News outlets will go out of their way to not mention race when the perpetrator is a minority, but advertises the hell out of it if they are white. Its an intentional move to fan the flame of racial hatred.

Well no laws ever get enforced for crimes against Christians, but there is no proof yet that this is a hate crime in any way. It will painted as such, even if race was never a factor in why the perp did what he did, but with a white perp and black victims it will be called a hate crime no matter what.
    So... a white guy going into Denmark Vessey's church on the anniversary at that and just shooting 9 black people isn't enough to be race as a factor? Hmph. Ok. It is a hate crime. White people kill black people for what other reason? For love?

So, it's basically just a church, where majority of its "visitors" are black? Why label it as "black church" then? It just sounds very racist.

And maybe this shooter was some sort of sect member who wanted to murder X religion people
    Because the name accurately reflects an ethno-social phenomenon in America?

Is "black church" preaches different religion or approach (is this even a right word?) to religion? Because Russian orthodox church and Jewish synagogue are very different hings and they divided by its believes, not by colour of skin.

My point is, is this "black church" is different from "white church" like "white school" is different from "black school", or it's different like "gay bar" and "a bar"?
    A church where black people go. A church with a black congregation = black church.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenominon View Post
    So... a white guy going into Denmark Vessey's church on the anniversary at that and just shooting 9 black people isn't enough to be race as a factor? Hmph. Ok. It is a hate crime. White people kill black people for what other reason? For love?
    No no no, it was just your ordinary, every-day guy-shoots-a-bunch-of-innocent-people type crime.

I mean, why do we assume the worst? I'm sure that he would have had an equal chance of shooting up a... convent of nuns, or an orphanage.

Come on, think positive...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Doesn't say the victims are black.
    I think you guys are going to extreme lengths to pretend to be race-blind.

Emanuel AME Church has been a landmark in Charleston for more than 150 years. Often called, “Mother Emanuel,” it is one of the largest and oldest black congregations in the region, according to its Web site. The pastor, Clementa Pinckney, who is also a state senator, was in the church at the time of the shooting, a Statehouse Democratic caucus member told the Post and Courier. His condition is not yet known.
    The victims were all inside the church, they'd gathered there for a service.

Who else could I be referring to when I said you, especially since I was directly replying to your post.
    What makes you think that I wouldn't say that? I've made my views on religion plainly known.

Look, I love a liberal lynch mob as much as anyone else, but you can't just point at something and then say 'aha! This event proves my hypothesis/belief.'

That's not how arguments/debating or in this case, a trial works.
    And that's not what's happening. There are facts. That can be seen. There is a history in this country of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    What makes you think that I wouldn't say that? I've made my views on religion plainly known.
    Fair enough. I probably haven't seen the threads where you post about religion then.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, I love a liberal lynch mob as much as anyone else, but you can't just point at something and then say 'aha! This event proves my hypothesis/belief.'

That's not how arguments/debating or in this case, a trial works.
    I am not debating anything, that is what is reported, as for jumping to conclusions, the only conclusions I am making is that this was a white guy, who went into an all black church and shot 9 people, so race is a factor so far that is it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think you guys are going to extreme lengths to pretend to be race-blind.

The victims were all inside the church, they'd gathered there for a service.
    Bible study i hear.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, it's basically just a church, where majority of its "visitors" are black? Why label it as "black church" then? It just sounds very racist.

And maybe this shooter was some sort of sect member who wanted to murder X religion people
    Maybe he was delusional, and shot the 9 black people to protect them from the dragon he saw fly in there. Honestly at this point I am going to go with the more likely.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be political, A state senator is among the victims
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I am not debating anything, that is what is reported, as for jumping to conclusions, the only conclusions I am making is that this was a white guy, who went into an all black church and shot 9 people, so race is a factor so far that is it.
    ....I'm trying to put this delicately.

What I'm trying to say, is that like a trial (which is already underway, this public trial so to say), everything has to be proven, with evidence and corresponding witness testimony.

Sure we can have an opinion, but if we're going to go around 'convicting' people and treating conclusion as authoritative fact, there is a process for that, and we should at least recognize that we should abide by that process.
    Last edited by taliey; 2015-06-18 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    No no no, it was just your ordinary, every-day guy-shoots-a-bunch-of-innocent-people type crime.

I mean, why do we assume the worst? I'm sure that he would have had an equal chance of shooting up a... convent of nuns, or an orphanage.

Come on, think positive...
    Gotcha *wink*

- - - Updated - - -

Senator was the pastor apparently. When if they catch the guy he'll be said to have some kind of mood disorder.

And they'll put up a picture of him at prom or graduation of some sort. He'll be such a nice guy. Nobody ever would expect...