10+ Year Old Account

Advice PLEX - Local Media>TomatoUSB>Fire TV Stick

Hello again to my favorite forum =).

I recently purchased an Amazon FireTV stick that I am trying to use as a replacement for my HTPC. I am trying to set up a PLEX server to stream media from my hard drive bay. I have a sort of bootleg NAS set up with my Cineraid HDD bay (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-039-_-Product) plugged into my Asus RT-N16 router via USB which is running TomatoUSB firmware.

I learned that I have to set up a PLEX server to stream local media to the FireTV stick so I am trying to do that. I am not sure if it is possible for the router to handle this because I am reading that PLEX transcodes video on the fly and that sounds like it will take more powerful hardware than the router can provide. I am thinking maybe if I buy one of those little Raspberry pi things and rig that up somehow? I have no experience with linux so I am worried about trying that. (I have to use linux with those right?)

If anyone has any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to inquire for more information I will try to answer everything.

Thanks guys and have a good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    google install kodi on firetv stick

Kodi will playback all formats without transcoding and without using plex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you I will try it out.