Thread: XP boost guide

XP boost guide

I just figured I would post a quick guide on how to effectivly powerlevel while the 12x boost is going on since it may not be clear to every player.

What is 12x?

In short, every mission you do that is part of the Class story gives 12 times the normal amount of class experience, and 12 basic commendations. You will be able to level doing only story content.

When does 12x end.
    Level 55. You can get 12x XP until level 55.

Does 12x Affect Makeb (Rise of the Hutt Cartel) XP?
    Yes. You can start makeb at 47 and I recommend you do so. You will get very good xp from makeb mission.

Makeb is too hard. Can't I keep doing class missions.
    Yes you could, but I recommend doing Makeb. Make sure you use the GSI Satellite buffs. They are located near the shuttles on makeb orbital station, and near every flight path.

I have trouble killing silver and gold bordered enemies. I don't get much gear from missions, please help.
    Between levels 15 and 25 try to buy Orange colored gear, using commendations, from the vendors in the supply area of your fleet.

After level 25 you can use your comms to buy better Mods, Armoring, and Enhancements to go that same gear.

You can drop mods, armoring, and enhancements right on top of the old ones. Don't have to remove the old ones. This will boost your gear to the appropriate level.

Okay 12x sounds good. How do I do it?
    Subscribe for 15$. Then follow this simple guide. It will help you get ahead. Levels are approximate. If you are 1-2 levels ahead of or behind the level range it is fine to continue.

1-14 - Starting Planet
    14- 15 - Fleet.
    - go train skills.
    - go to crew skills and strong holds area.
    - Check for the crew skills mission at a terminal in the area.
    - Talk to each profession trainer to get a small amount of xp
    - Pick 3 crew skills to train
    * (Optional) Talk to Strongholds Hologram. Purchase a stronghold and visit it, or visit one purchased on another character. You need to walk around a bit to get credit.

15-25 Class Story missions
    - Visit trainers at least every 2 levels to train stronger versions of spells

25 Fleet
    - Spend Basic Comms on gear at the vendors in Supplies area.
    - Train spells

25-35 Story Missions

35 Fleet
    - Get Armorings, Mods, and Enhancments for all gear that will take them. Get barrels for blasters, hilts for lightsabers.

35-47 Story missions. Don't spend anymore basic comms.

47 - 52. Makeb
    - Visit your ship. Use the terminal next to the holo projector.
    - Take the makeb quest.
    - use the GSI Satellite buff to easily finish content.
    52 - 53/54
    - Finish your class story
    54- 56
    - Finish makeb story. You stop getting 12x XP at 55.

56-60 Shadows of Revan story. You will get good gear from makeb, and better gear from SoR content. Don't spend anymore basic comms. USE XP BOOSTS. Log out if inactive.

The XP boost items you get from story missions should be used along the way. Make sure you save at least 6 hours worth of XP boosts to finish leveling from 55-60. I always save 6 of the 1 hour boosts.

At 60, finish the Yavin 4 story if you have not.

Then take the mission from your ship's terminal to go to Ziost. Finish the ziost quest line. You receive a basic set of 190 level armor. Fill in remaining slots with 186 gear from the basic comms vendor at fleet. Enjoy your new, or first 60.

I am still having problems killing things.

1. Use a healer companion.
    2. Make sure you upgrade your companions gear too.
    - Open the character sheet with a companion out (you need to be off your mount)
    - Look at the tabs at the bottom where it says companion
    - Companions can where regular character gear with the appropriate armor type.
    3. Bring a medpac.
    4. If all else fails, go to the fleet and spend basic comms on gear upgrades.
    Last edited by Tanro; 2015-06-19 at 06:20 AM.

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    .... SAVING!

From a first time player to SWTOR (well, I played once shortly after it went F2P, but then stopped because I kept getting stomped into the ground doing quests... so I stopped...) THANK-YOU! I had figured out the orange gear thing around 22 myself. I'm just having issues getting enough credits for a mount though :S I've got 2 20+ characters and can't afford a mount on either. Should I not be wasting creds on stims? Just med packs?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Honestly I just came back into SWToR myself, but I had played long ago, and just quit soon after launch to go back to wow. When I came back I re-rolled to relearn how to play. I had very few credits at level 15, a guild mate gave me a mount. I try and return the favor to new/returning players in my guild since I can make enough credits to buy a mount in 5 minutes.

My best suggestion for getting your first mount without a guild is to get a whole stack of stage 1 crystals from archaeology and sell them on the gtn. At least on my server stage 1 and 2 crystals sell very well.

If you use a healing companion you shouldn't need to many medpacs. Stims seem to be a waste if you are using coms to update your gear with Armoring,mods, and enhancements every few levels. Don't forget your companions!

If you are a ranged class (Operative, Sorceror, Sage, Smuggler) use a tank companion, toss a heal onto it when needs be. Dismiss and re-summon after combat, or just get on your mount and off to heal the companion to full.

Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter, trooper, Tank Spec Inquisitor/Sentinel and to a lesser extent melee DPS Inquistor/Sentinel should use the healing companion for leveling. Melee dps Inquisitor/Sentinal can also use the tank companion.

One think that can help a great deal is the +pressence buff drinks from cantinas. Pressence enhances your companions ab

FML... Shamans suck.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    .... SAVING!

From a first time player to SWTOR (well, I played once shortly after it went F2P, but then stopped because I kept getting stomped into the ground doing quests... so I stopped...) THANK-YOU! I had figured out the orange gear thing around 22 myself. I'm just having issues getting enough credits for a mount though :S I've got 2 20+ characters and can't afford a mount on either. Should I not be wasting creds on stims? Just med packs?
    I have found some really cheap mounts off the GTN. Since you no longer have a cost to riding skill (or any ability for that matter) just grab a cheap mount off the GTN. It may not be the one you want but you have plenty of time for that later.

I would not waste credits on stims of any sort.

If your character does not get a healing companion till later in the story, just use the ship droid. He is not the best healer but when I first leveled a sentinel way back, I found using him made a difference in levleing till I got the real healer. If you find yourself in a comfortable position to buy the ewok Treek (credits or real cash), do it. You get that companion at level 10 on any toon you ever level after that and treek is damn near the best healer and tanking companion the game has.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-06-29 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    .... SAVING!

Quaras has some good advice but for me, if you have the extra cash. Pick up Treek from the Market. Shes a great healer or tank if you need instead of wasting your credits on stims.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Quaras has some good advice but for me, if you have the extra cash. Pick up Treek from the Market. Shes a great healer or tank if you need instead of wasting your credits on stims.
    That crazy talkative ewok (oh how I wish I could put a muzzle on him) really is the best companion healer so far. It's well worth the money.

AOE heals, cleanse plus DPS while healing. Then if you want you got a tank who can heal a little as he tanks. It's money worth spending if you plan on level alts.

Each alt can get Treek at level 10 or once you get to the fleet. Save up credits or spend some cash. Either way, it's one of the best perks you can get. That and rocket boost.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-06-29 at 06:36 PM.

So I just spent some commendations on mods for my gear at 41, but I still have over 300. I should basically be ok until for the next 6 levels until I get to whatever this Makeb planet is? And why not just finish it, then your class story or whatever if you get what sounds like a super buff the whole time you're there?

I ended up maxing out my commendations by the time I hit 60, and had precious little to spend them on (apart from a few off-set pieces at the fleet vendor as the OP said) - and still had ~700 left over.

I've started a few alts to level, and am just kitting them out with adaptive gear from the Galactic Starfighter xpac reward and using the leftover commendations from my main to buy mods and send them over. Makes it unbelievably easy.

Yeah i also max out my commendations before i even hit 50, pretty useful to do.
    Not a fan of using elo boost to rank up.
    but i prefer the tier list instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how do I get the XP boost? I'm thinking of playing again, but just want to do the main story and get to the end to be ready for the next expansion.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    As soon as you subscribe you get the 12x experience for all class missions (your experience bar will have like a gold border on it.)

If you're thinking about picking it up again, if it's been over 90 days give the link in my signature a shot and you'll get 7 subscription days free and a few nice unlocks if you decide not to subscribe after.

You just need to be subbed to get 12x

Also even if you are a sub, use a referal link because one of the items you get will save you 200k a toon on inventory lines.

FML... Shamans suck.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    You just need to be subbed to get 12x

Also even if you are a sub, use a referal link because one of the items you get will save you 200k a toon on inventory lines.
    Assuming you save it for one of the last lines of your inventory and spend credits on the cheaper ones, but yes this is technically true.

Deleted
    Nice info cheers.

Deleted
    I may sound a bit strange, but that 12x XP drives me nuts sometimes...

I'm doing my Gunslinger and I'm in about 1/3 of the story quest on Coruscant and I'm already lvl 20 :/

I'm doing side quest, flashpoints etc as well. There is no fun in Heroics if I'm able to solo them

And I don't need to change my gear, cause I smash the enemies before they reach me...

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    I may sound a bit strange, but that 12x XP drives me nuts sometimes...

I'm doing my Gunslinger and I'm in about 1/3 of the story quest on Coruscant and I'm already lvl 20 :/

I'm doing side quest, flashpoints etc as well. There is no fun in Heroics if I'm able to solo them

And I don't need to change my gear, cause I smash the enemies before they reach me...
    IF your doing all the side quests and flashpoints as well no wonder you're over leveled for the content. If being over leveled is a concern, go to fleet and get the item that stops the 12X. It's free and lasts 8 hours. You can click it off if you want as well.

You could turn off the 12X till you got back within a level range that made things more of a challenge.