Poll: Do you believe love and sex can be mutually exlusive?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you believe love and sex are always connected?

Some friends of mine (2 couples) have open relationships.

They love the person they are with but both partners sometimes feel the urge to sleep with someone else. They believe love and sex are connected, but also exist mutually exclusive. One couple actually shares their experiences with eachother, learns from them, etc. The other basicly sees it as something that simply exists but they dont want to know whatever one another did with someone else.

Personally i believe if both partners are OK with it, why not. But i see alot of risk in it aswell. Have you ever had this kind of relationship?

I think love and sex have a negative correlation, honestly. If all you've got to base a relationship on is fuckin', that's not a stable foundation. If you can get both, you've won the lottery, metaphorically speaking.

7+ Year Old Account
    no i havent had that relationship and i would never that is something between 2 people to do

Some people can do it. I wouldn't, unless maybe there was no other connection besides sex. That would be tough though, because it's almost like looking at them just like a piece of meat.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love and sex can be connected.
    But they don't have to be. Kinda.

No. Those relationships never work out. One of the people will eventually develop feelings for one of the flings and things will spiral downwards from there. Then of course there's the drama that comes if one or more of the 3rd parties develop feelings that aren't reciprocated, and then they go out of their way to dismantle the relationship. Besides, the level of trust found in a monogamous relationship can never be found in an open one.

It's better to become swingers and do things as a couple than to sleep behind your partner's back.

Depends on what country. In most countries I will have to say no. Not in the least. (Regarding thread title/question)

So long as both are fine with it then whatevs. The moment it is not fine with one it needs to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Why even call yourselves a couple? You're dating. Sometimes you date one person more than another. Now, I've heard of married people doing that when they get old.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Sex WITHOUT a relationship works fine. But when in a relationship someone is bound to get hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Purely situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Petyr Baelish View Post
    Sex WITHOUT a relationship works fine. But when in a relationship someone is bound to get hurt.
    That's usually the issue, as sex a lot of times brings people closer together.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why even call yourselves a couple? You're dating. Sometimes you date one person more than another. Now, I've heard of married people doing that when they get old.
    When does dating end? Theyve been together for over 5 years, live together etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    Love and sex can be connected.
    But they don't have to be. Kinda.
    Long term love will come into play if both parties agreed to sex (love as in feelings). Friends with benefits does not work long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    When does dating end? Theyve been together for over 5 years, live together etc.
    Sounds like each is waiting for something better to come along.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

For a few people yes, for most rarely, for others never.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

You can have sex without love... and you can have love without sex... but sex with someone you love is incredible and far superior as far as my experiences are concerned than just having sex to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Personally i believe if both partners are OK with it, why not. But i see alot of risk in it aswell. Have you ever had this kind of relationship?
    I agree with you. If both partners want to be in an open relationship, then more power to them. Additionally, people can just have anonymous sex without love coming in to play. With the open relationship though, I see a lot of insecurity and jealousy just waiting to happen. What if they both decide to enter an open relationship but partner A sleeps with 10 people, while partner B only manages to get one other person? You can't tell me that Person B is just going to sit by and accept that with no hard feelings to be had.

Overall, my personal choice is no sex without love, but again, that's just my choice. I'm happy with that, and it all comes down to that.

Sex can exist without relationships (friends with benefits)
    Relationships can exist without sex (many asexual relationships)

One size fits all is WAY too definite. People are different. What works for one person may not work for another and vice versa.

Deleted
    Equating sex with love is pretty unhealthy. Love is far too profound to be broken down to just a physical act. And the physical act can just be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    am i the only one who is confused as to why the question is the opposite of what the thread title is?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.