Thread: Lobster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The humane thing to do, is get a second one, and then race them across the tub, before washing them. Must tire them out. Then you tell it what you are going to do to them. once the water is boiling, you hold it over the steam, to let it know what is going to happen, before placing it in. Let the second one watch. The tell it, the same is going to happen, and then dunk that one in. Cover, and wait.

In truth, though, the humane thing to do is wash and then toss em into the lobster boiler (the large pot), without killing them, and chopping them. Plus, they taste better that way, and you are not losing any of the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You may get food poisoning since you didn't prepare it properly. There's a reason why they need to be boiled alive.
    The reason shellfish is often boiled while still alive is because the meat turns sour quickly after they die. You would have to have a dead shellfish out for a while to get food poisoning. Of course if you kill it and then don't throw it in the pot right away, it won't taste as good.

BTW the way you humanely kill a lobster is to stab it at the base of its head (where it meets the abdomen) and slice forward.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Is there a certain cooking tool to mash them? I could just use my hands to get the job done right?
    drop an elbow on em like the rock. but seriosuly though there is a thing that looks like a S and a handle

Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    drop an elbow on em like the rock. but seriosuly though there is a thing that looks like a S and a handle
    I use this kind, it works better.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Gonna start taking pics. My cooking is getting amazing. Eat Mr Krabbs with some buttery mashed potatoes (microwavable) and canned corn.

(Retreats back to fat cave)
    Mr krabbs is a crab not a lobster.

I always got a kick out of people talking about humanely killing certain kinds of arthropods, but won't hesitate using extremely inhumane methods on others.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Thank you for supporting the Maine economy, we need it. Don't forget to pull out the poop chute before you eat the tail.

Cook that lobster quick if you haven't already. When I make lobster, I use a nice sweet white wine, a lemon and some other seasonings to add more flavor to the meat. And you need clarified butter. Melt some butter (real butter not like country crock or i cant believe its not butter) and skim off the white foamy stuff. Mashed potatoes, if you dont have milk/cream and butter, your taters are gonna SUCK. And don't be afraid of salt and pepper. Seasoning is very important in cooking, not enough and too bland. Salt brings flavor out. And try different things. I had a good spicy pepperjack cheese, put that on prosciutto then wrapped it around a black grape...oh man...spicy, sweet, creamy, salty. Awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by talwynn View Post
    Cook that lobster quick if you haven't already. When I make lobster, I use a nice sweet white wine, a lemon and some other seasonings to add more flavor to the meat. And you need clarified butter. Melt some butter (real butter not like country crock or i cant believe its not butter) and skim off the white foamy stuff. Mashed potatoes, if you dont have milk/cream and butter, your taters are gonna SUCK. And don't be afraid of salt and pepper. Seasoning is very important in cooking, not enough and too bland. Salt brings flavor out. And try different things. I had a good spicy pepperjack cheese, put that on prosciutto then wrapped it around a black grape...oh man...spicy, sweet, creamy, salty. Awesome.
    Stop making me hungry

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You may get food poisoning since you didn't prepare it properly. There's a reason why they need to be boiled alive.
    You only get food poisoning if it has been dead for a while.

Insert knife at back of the head and push it down towards the front of the lobster. Then drop it immediately into boiling water. That is the most humane way to do it. It'll take 6-10 minutes depending on how big it is. The meat is mostly in the tail and the claws. Reserve the shell and the cooking water to make stock for fish soup (break the shell up and fry it in butter - add prawn shells and heads for more seafoody flavour in your stock, then add some veggies and sweat them down, then add some of the reserved lobster poaching liquid and simmer for an hour or so).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2015-06-20 at 11:20 PM.