Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    You wot? Gets fermented if you keep it in the room.
    Not any kind of Norwegian super market ketchup Just the very fancy fresh kinds you get at farmer markets and stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Not any kind of Norwegian super market ketchup Just the very fancy fresh kinds you get at farmer markets and stuff.
    I've got felix ketchup and if I don't keep it in the fridge, it ferments. >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    I think that's probably a good sign, might have some traces of genuine tomato in it, lol.

The only thing I kow about Felix is cloudberry jam. Every kepchup I've had doesn't ferment though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wot? Gets fermented if you keep it in the room.
    Fermented you say? As in . . . alcohol? Can I . . . can I get drunk on it?
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    I am extremely paranoid about food safety so I refrigerate almost everything after opening it.

Things that I don't refrigerate after opening: Olive oil, vinegar, dry goods (cereal, bread, cookies, etc)... can't think of anything else...

15+ Year Old Account
    Peanut butter never seems to go bad either, and you'd think it would since it doesn't have any vinegar in it. I don't refrigerate it because it's too hard to spread then, but always feel like I should.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Fermented you say? As in . . . alcohol? Can I . . . can I get drunk on it?
    Eh, idk. I don't intend to find out, it probably tastes really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseven View Post
    Peanut butter never seems to go bad either, and you'd think it would since it doesn't have any vinegar in it. I don't refrigerate it because it's too hard to spread then, but always feel like I should.
    Peanut butter has a lot of salt in it. Salt kills bacteria just as effectively as vinegar and sugar do. Peanut butter also contains no butter

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Peanut butter has a lot of salt in it. Salt kills bacteria just as effectively as vinegar and sugar do. Peanut butter also contains no butter
    Again, the major brands do. The peanut butter I buy just says, Ingredients: Peanuts.

(Then redundantly in the Allergen Information: This product contains peanuts. lol.)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Again, the major brands do. The peanut butter I buy just says, Ingredients: Peanuts.

(Then redundantly in the Allergen Information: This product contains peanuts. lol.)
    Best is when the allergen info has the qualifier "may". Oh, and when it informs you that it was produced in a factory that handles nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Depends on what it is. BBQ sauce I find doesn't need to be refrigerated.
    Hell, the best BBQ sauce I ever had was a home-made Honey BBQ with Apple Cider Vinegar. It was good the first time I tasted it, but when it accidentally got put in the back of the shelf.... I found it almost a year later, it was a super strong sauce that I could just add a dab of to things and...MMMM!

I hate any food I do not "control", so I need to know when it was opened, how long it has been open for, and if it has been stored in an appropriate manner, if not, it's not being eaten by me.
    Kindness goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I follow the directions on the bottle. If it says it needs to be refrigerated, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Like everything else you encounter, read directions, follow directions and win.

- - - Updated - - -

Hilarious! Keep telling them jokes.
    http://www.heinzketchup.com/FAQ.aspx

I typically use ketchup within a month... it doesn't need to be in a fridge. Ketchup last about one month out of the fridge in a cool dark place.

In the fridge it'll last several months, up to six they say... I've never had ketchup that long.

I make a lot of escabeche and often times I'll substitute with ketchup.
    Last edited by Themius; 2015-06-21 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne Blake View Post
    I hate any food I do not "control", so I need to know when it was opened, how long it has been open for, and if it has been stored in an appropriate manner, if not, it's not being eaten by me.
    Prep labels!

Also if you're working in volume, these...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice summary.... Good old Reader's Digest..
    http://www.rd.com/slideshows/ending-...iments/#slide1
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Prep labels!

Also if you're working in volume, these...

You are awesome <3
    Kindness goes a long way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    My friend had opened bottles of bbq sauce and ketchup in the pantry cabinets. I've always refrigerated everything and was too paranoid to use any. On the other hand cold condiments on a hot meal kinda ruins it.

Obviously anything with dairy needs to go in the fridge. Is there enough salt/preservatives in most stuff that it doesn't matter? I was wondering what the norm is?
    nah, there is so much sugar in those things it acts as a preservative anyway. Besides, I generally dont use many condiments like that, only keep them for when others want them.

If I want a bbq sauce, I whip some up from scratch anyway, that way it tastes much better and I know exactly whats in it. And I generally use a relish or salsa (both homemade) instead of a ketchup anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne Blake View Post
    You are awesome <3
    Heh, Everything is labeled where I work. Mandatory. Hell, I'll fire someone if they don't have a pen with them. (kidding... kind of).