10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrabit View Post
    And you reason for that is ... ?
    no warranty
    HW is still outdated
    it takes extra work

And you reason for that is ... ?
    Because 10 years old is ancient in computer terms. I mean, if you had an old classic car that you were using as your daily driver and something broke, is it better to repair it or get a more modern car? I suppose you could just repair it, then 2 weeks later something else breaks, then repair it ad nauseum. Alternatively, you could spend far less in the long run by just buying a new car, or at least a newer used car.

It's the same thing here. Sure, he could go get some cheap used RAM and keep it hobbling along for a few months, then have something else die and have to replace it, so on and so forth. In the end, he is eventually going to have to buy new stuff anyway. There may be a a cheap fix now, but what about the long run? If he continues to just fix what breaks, in the end he will have spent more than if he just bought something new(or at least used and newer) now, he will spend less overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    no warranty
    HW is still outdated
    it takes extra work
    No warranty, and extra work point for you.
    All HW released is already outdated compared to laboratory samples, but on this old HW can do office work on compared level with newest one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Because 10 years old is ancient in computer terms. I mean, if you had an old classic car that you were using as your daily driver and something broke, is it better to repair it or get a more modern car? I suppose you could just repair it, then 2 weeks later something else breaks, then repair it ad nauseum. Alternatively, you could spend far less in the long run by just buying a new car, or at least a newer used car.

It's the same thing here. Sure, he could go get some cheap used RAM and keep it hobbling along for a few months, then have something else die and have to replace it, so on and so forth. In the end, he is eventually going to have to buy new stuff anyway. There may be a a cheap fix now, but what about the long run? If he continues to just fix what breaks, in the end he will have spent more than if he just bought something new(or at least used and newer) now, he will spend less overall.
    Comparing Car to PC is wrong idea, and he not encounter any parts failure, CPU life spawn is around 30 years, rams even longer.
    Simply if you put to PC good parts he can work decades.

Deleted
    Sure it will, you can keep playing tetris for 20-30years....5-6years is already too much for a rig to be outdated. Even chrome has so many requirements atm. Your way of thinking in this thread is so wrong that i dunno where to start. You lost it right there where you proposed to find some cheap ddr2...

Comparing Car to PC is wrong idea, and he not encounter any parts failure, CPU life spawn is around 30 years, rams even longer.
    The parts may last that long, granted. However, by that time, they will not run current software anymore. Also, it is a good comparison, as once one thing goes, other things will start going. If he replaces RAM, and motherboard dies, you suggest he buys another used motherboard capable of holding that shitty old slow RAM? Just get something newer now. It's easier, less hassle and costs far less in the long run.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just get the shittiest, cheapest prebuilt at walmart. It'll still be leagues more powerful.
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

No warranty, and extra work point for you.
    All HW released is already outdated compared to laboratory samples, but on this old HW can do office work on compared level with newest one.
    No, you really cant.

You'd be shocked at how CPU intensive Word really is.

And modern web browsing. As CPUs got exponentially more powerful, website designers got sloppier and sloppier, figuring they would always have plenty of overhead.

A few tabs open in Chrome or Firefox will bring a single core CPU to its knees pretty handily.

He's better off getting something new in the ~300$ range (money that will be saved/recouped by increased productivity within a few months at the outside) or getting something substantially newer that is used (like i said, you can often grab a Sandy Bridge based i5 Mac Mini for 200-250 - and if you dont like MacOS it takes about 10 minutes to put Windows on it and never boot into OSX again) for even cheaper.