Unhappy OnStar 'turn-by-turn navigation' is garbage.

Bought a brand new 2015 Silverado today.

Tried out the 'turn-by-turn' navigation assistance.

Step 1: Press OnStar Button
    Step 2: Wait up to a minute for customer support to answer
    Step 3: Listen to tech-support warning that call is being monitored
    Step 4: Listen to random person thank me for using OnStar
    Step 5: Listen to random person ask me how might they assist me
    Step 6: Ask random person why there aren't any maps, and how to input my destination
    Step 7: Listen to random person tell me that every god damn fucking time i want to go anywhere with nav support, i need to repeat Steps 1-5 then tell random OnStar person my destination of choice before they will download the special 'turn-by-turn' directions to my dashboard display.
    Step 8: Drive into retaining wall.

Seriously.
    This is fucking garbage.

OnStar 2015 'turn-by-turn' nav support is literally just an arrow pointing the direction you need to go, and how far till you need to turn or whatever.

No maps, nothing like Google Maps, nothing like Apple Maps even.

Just the destination till the next turn.

After calling the dealership, i was informed that the car i needed to buy (not the one i actually bought) was the one with the most expensive package, and totally different than the one i drove off the lot.

"But GeraltsBeard" (you might ask) "why did you not ask these types of questions before driving off the lot?"

Excellent question.

BECAUSE IT IS 2015 and when you see that a car has nav assistance, I did not fathom that it would take the form of a floating post-it note without any context to my surroundings, like every other navigation tool since 1999 has. I mean sure, i pressed the button, and saw a compass with a message to call OnStar, but i logically thought that since it was a test drive, and OnStar was not activated yet, that it would unlock when OnStar was set up.

It has everything i could want, except a potato for a navigation system.

Imagine needing to call customer service every time you wanted to find the nearest Taco Bell in an unfamiliar part of town.

The last car i had for 15 years.

This has been an exciting disappointment of a day

- - - Updated - - -

This is more a PSA and query if anyone else has experienced this nightmare of backwards technology.

Someone had the thought "You know how people hate calling tech support? lets make that an integral part of our navigation technology, while removing all actual maps and other useful information except an annoying DING DING DING when you are 50m from where you have to merge into traffic. People will LOVE that!"
    Last edited by Emageht Tsoluoy; 2015-06-21 at 03:09 AM.

I just use my phone for GPS and Navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    I just use my phone for GPS and Navigation.
    Same here, it uses very low data as well. I did an 8 hour drive using google maps the entire time and barely used any.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

You could put the onstar app on your phone and send the directions to your car with a press of a button if talking to a human being is a problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume the radio/nav panel has a USB mini or Aux input? As others have said- you'll have more luck using a phone based app and running the playback through the car.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    Bought a brand new 2015 Silverado today.
    the whole problem is in your first sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I used Onstar 'turn by turn navigation' to get from Alaska to Massachusetts. It was very helpful and didn't fail us once. We have since sold the car that had it, and now just use GPS from the iPad.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a Silverado. Best truck I ever owned.
    i think that maybe, i could have dealt with it, if there was any possible way to cut out the talking to OnStar part, but after several chats with OnStar people, whom all gave me the same response, it turns out, that no. there is absolutely no way to cut them out of the equation.

I did not buy my car to chat with random customer service people when i need directions. every time i need directions...
    I have an intense hatred of all customer service people. Not personally, but as vague nondescript entities of ruin.
    Every OnStar person i talked to were very nice, and cordial, and professional. The utmost examples of what customer service should be.

I wanted to nuke OnStar from orbit every time i talked to them.

I blame a lifetime of robocalls and belligerent creditors looking for people that i don't know for my conditioning.

I have it, works fine. I use my phone normally. As someone else said, use the app to send places to your car. No need for human involvement. Don't have to use data, etc. just do it from wifi. Takes 2 secs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Return it? I assume you can do that with no real issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google Navigation is really good now. It does real time route adjustments based on traffic and construction. Waze is pretty good as well.

And there once was a time people took 30 seconds to look up where they are going and then ... go there.

Like, I'm sure satnav is great and saves so much time and convenience but if you are *relying* on it, you're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post

I had a Silverado. Best truck I ever owned.
    eh. i have a bit of a problem with the massive bail out we gave GM and Dodge who in turn have continued to pump out inferior products compared to competition with no kick back in sight for the people (tax payers) who bailed their sorry ass companies out of the gutter. the least they could do is cut down on their ridiculous mark up or i dont know hire some electrical engineers that are worth a shit. they have had the same electrical problem with their headlights/taillights/daytime running lamps for YEARS. nothing like seeing a brand new 50k dollar silverado or escelade with a tail light that doesnt light up when you hit the breaks or doesnt work at all. i switched away from domestic 5 years ago and have not looked back. but thats a little off topic.

OT google maps/gps is pretty beastly. not perfect but has taken me all over the country and rarely fucks up
    Last edited by KOMO1211; 2015-06-21 at 07:59 AM.

My car has navigation, you just enter the address and it tells you where to go. Sorry OnStar sucks I never had it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go to Walmart, buy a mini GPS, use it on a long trip, come back, return it in its original packaging, and go on my merry way. That and mapquest. I personally feel that were I to use GPS for day to day occurrences, it would dull my ability to navigate independently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Same here, it uses very low data as well. I did an 8 hour drive using google maps the entire time and barely used any.
    Windows Phones don't even need that - at least Lumias. Offline maps ftw.

Then again we have unlimited data free here anyway with every phone so it wouldn't matter anyway.