Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

For a machine workout - Rowing.
    For non-machine work out - Swimming.

Both of those will use the most muscles, and aren't too heavy on your joints. Enjoy your workout!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pull up and dips bar in the park. If the weather's going to stop you what can I say?

So many posters aren't actually reading the OP full post. If you are just looking to burn calories stick with any cross fit type machine, such as an elliptical as others have said. You can get an upper body workout on a treadmill if you work hand weights into it. Also, as another poster mentioned, rowing machines can absolutely kick your ass and build up upper body physique as well. If you are willing to put the money into it, don't go cheap. Cheap machines tend to break down really easy so you get what you pay for in the long term.
    Last edited by Hexian; 2015-07-14 at 04:18 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Calories in over Calories out for weight loss,

Full body workouts and primal lifts would be your exorcise, Swiming & Stair master is the highest cals burning cardio.
    If you maintain approx 160BPM for 45 minutes you'll see huge results and cardiovascular improvements and weight loss.

A diet of high protein, healthy fats and lower carbs (from Vegetables and some whole grains) will be ideal. Also backloading your carbs (post workout) will shorten the process too.

However this takes a lot of discipline if you don't allow for a cheat day you'll likely quit within a week or two.

There are lots of techniques are used to take the weight loss issues. I think vaser high definition liposuction is one of the best and latest procedure is used for fat loss or getting perfect body look.

Don't need a machine.

Pushups, Dips, Squats, Glute Raises, Jumping Jacks, Lunges, all with bodyweight will help you lose weight. (You can do crunches too... but I hate those)

During the days I don't feel like going to the gym I can still get a nasty workout doing reps for time.

Deleted
    whatever you will stick at.

Sure a rowing machine will probably burn most calories....but if you get bored on it. it does nothing!

A bike may burn less, but you can more easily watch a film/whatever and may enjoy it more.

Calories in < calories out = lose weight.

There is no magic to it, no special "correct" way, other than what works for you, and what you will stick at.

Power Rack ftw!

I have kept diet for over months. Seems it has no affection.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eating clean is also a big part of it try to stay away from as much processed crap as possible. Rowing machines are great yes swimming is another, high intensity circuit training is another also. Trying to keep the heart rate high enough at a healthy level with low periods of rest.

There's a reason why rowers/ skullers are the fittest athletes in the world and have some of the largest lung capacity among athletes using your entire body as a machine full out like that is killer.
    Gaming Rig:
    Intel i5 3570k OC @4.5 / Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 / Corsair Vengance 1600 ddr3 (16gigs) / Crucial M4 128gig (system/games), 1tb Western Digital 7,200 (file drive) / AMD Radeon 7950 / Corsair Carbide 600t / Seasonic M12II 620w / Asus 24inch LCD / Windows 7 64bit

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Necroing this because lol.

It's still conventional wisdom that endurance athletes like road cyclists and marathoners/ultrarunners taken in a couple hundred calories of carbs every 30-45m. Eating high-protein / high-fat foods before or during exercise will destroy you because it takes extra steps for both to be stored as glycogen. Furthermore fats/lipids do a great job of encapsulating carbs in your digestive system, further blocking absorption of sugars in the small intestine. I can't tell you how many times I've bonked because I had protein / fat before a bike ride vs having brown sugar + oatmeal or something similar.

Also cardio is a lot of work for burning fat. If your body muscle is a low percentage, your base metabolic rate will be lower too. That's how you lose weight in combination with a normal diet, you get your base metabolism up so you are burning more calories at rest. If you want to lose weight, start working all your skeletal muscles in addition to light cardio. On a 2 hour bike ride averaging 18 mph, I burn under 2000 calories, but I also need to consume 3 Clif Shot gels (or stroopwafels) and 1L of Gatorade. In the end that ends up creating a calorie deficit of maybe 1200.

I do a lot of sports and during winter i find myself often on an elliptical trainier in the gym (i can go for free). In summer i never use it because i have enough outdoor activites.

The thing i see problematic with the trainier for home:

1. It uses a lot of space

2. Its expensive

3. You need to test the model you want to buy first, since some of them (not only the cheap ones) have a strange movement sequence and it feels unnatural to run with it. The newer models of which we have some in one of the gyms now are less "guided" and allow to adapt to your natural movement pattern. Those are cool.

Besides that, swimming in an indoor area is also always a nice option. Thats basicly the 2 things i do in winter

For weight loss and efficiently nothing beats a rowing machine, it's a full body workout and burn. Vastly more effective then running/jogging.

Endurance exercise. Running, jogging, cycling, rowing, swimming etc.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    Endurance exercise. Running, jogging, cycling, rowing, swimming etc.
    I cycle...a lot. It's a shitty way to lose weight vs increasing skeletal muscle mass. It doesn't push my upper body, just my core, my quads and my glutes...not even calf muscles unless I toe-down or pull-up.

I cycle 3 hours a day, 3 times a week generally...>100 miles every week. I burn about 2500 calories per ride, but I also consume almost 1000 calories in the process.

Once again, the key is to build-up your metabolism by increasing muscle. That will help your body eat into its fat stores even at rest. Supplement with cardio when able, but if you have to pick one, do strength / anaerobic exercises.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    It's winter here wet and cold outside so I want to get a machine to use at home.

I don't need anything other than burning calories just want cardio work out really.

Treadmill was my first thought but I want to save walking for moments I can find outside to mix things up.
    The best thing you can invest in is a pair of good running shoes and some running clothes for different kinds of weather(remember to buy the shoes at a place where they can test how you run so you get the right shoes you need).

You can run in all kinds of weather its just about getting a good start on it.

I also recommend Endomondo(even the free version) to keep track of your own records(dont be annoying and start posting that shit on facebook) and constantly try beating yourself. It helps keep you going(it did me at least)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    I cycle...a lot. It's a shitty way to lose weight vs increasing skeletal muscle mass. It doesn't push my upper body, just my core, my quads and my glutes...not even calf muscles unless I toe-down or pull-up.

I cycle 3 hours a day, 3 times a week generally...>100 miles every week. I burn about 2500 calories per ride, but I also consume almost 1000 calories in the process.

Once again, the key is to build-up your metabolism by increasing muscle. That will help your body eat into its fat stores even at rest. Supplement with cardio when able, but if you have to pick one, do strength / anaerobic exercises.
    That is a shitload of calories each week bro. Sounds like its not that bad a way to loose weight

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Running is definitely cheaper, but less efficient than cycling at pure caloric burn by around 40%. Rowing is probably the best machine-based exercise because it works the legs, core, arms, back, etc. I just like cycling because of the varied scenery and it's a viable mode of transportation too. It's also something I've been doing since I was 4 years old.