Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Best machine for weight loss?

It's winter here wet and cold outside so I want to get a machine to use at home.

I don't need anything other than burning calories just want cardio work out really.

Treadmill was my first thought but I want to save walking for moments I can find outside to mix things up.

Anything that's going to use a lot of muscles and keep your heart rate high... Probably rowing machine? I know they kill me at least.

diet machine with an exercise bike
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

The elliptical machine, used properly, is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    It's winter here wet and cold outside so I want to get a machine to use at home.

I don't need anything other than burning calories just want cardio work out really.

Treadmill was my first thought but I want to save walking for moments I can find outside to mix things up.
    A bike would do wonders, I know it did for me when I wanted to lose weight. Biking for 1 episode of house (~45 minutes-1hr) every day.

I guess a rowing machine would be amazing as well. I know it is, I started using one at the gym. I can bike for 1 hour without any issues but 10 minutes on a rowing machine still kill me. There's a HUGE issue with rowing machines at least in my country, the price. I payed 100e for my bike (50% off) and since I liked the rowing machine at the gym I wanted to buy one... only to find out the cheapest "first hand" ones were around 2000e. The ones with water at least.

There are similar ones on Amazon for around 1k $ though, like this one. They still seem overpriced for my taste.

I feel like running or going on a treadmill when you are fat puts too much pressure on your joints so I don't like doing that.
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2015-06-21 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I feel like running or going on a treadmill when you are fat puts too much pressure on your joints so I don't like doing that.
    Yeah, it will do. I'm pretty big too, so Treadmill still makes my feet and shins hurt though after a while. I can ride a bike forever as my legs are pretty well built due to carrying my weight, and there's not really any pressure on the joints. Same a swimming, that's really good if you dare expose yourself (or others to you), no pressure on your joints but lots of exercise.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2015-06-21 at 06:20 PM.

Exercise bike is the simplest answer. Get one with a decently weighted fly-wheel, preferably a magnetic one, with a good number of levels of resistance.

Good cardio, low impact on the legs/feet/joints, especially compared to running/jogging. Also, jogging/running will build a lot of leg muscle, where as cycling will more specifically tone the muscle areas.

Your feet! Seriously.

Outside of a treadmill I would recommend heading to a local gym that has an indoor pool - swimming is stellar cardio, as well as a full body workout that keeps the running stress/impact off your knees.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Deleted
    I always feel as if crosstrainers work well. Aside from your leg muscles you will also use biceps, triceps, back muscles.
    Thing is you need to either do HIT's on it or put the resistance way up or it will more more of an automatic movement.

Best thing is simply HIT sprints.
    Take a bikelane. Take a 100m reference marker.
    Sprint, all out.
    1 minute rest.
    Sprint all out.
    1 minute rest
    Sprint all out.
    30s rest
    Sprint all out
    30s rest
    Sprint all out
    30s rest
    Sprint all out
    Rinse and repeat.

Do 3 of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shake weight.

Deleted
    Elliptical trainer is the best thing, my dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    The elliptical machine, used properly, is amazing.
    This. Also, if it has some kind of resistance option, keep increasing that overtime. The only downside is that it gave me a big butt... And I am a guy lol.

Deleted
    Treadmill + hiit

The very best is a prowler but very few places have those. You can build your own though.

Deleted
    Low carb diet + strength training + 20 minutes of HIIT. Forget about the tedious treadmill and ellipticals unless you want to achieve the marathoner look.
    The diet takes care of the weight loss, strength training keeps your body in shape and HIIT is a perfect combination of cardio and strength training.

Last edited by mmoc3084e27e77; 2015-06-23 at 09:23 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    Low carb diet + strength training + 20 minutes of HIIT. Forget about the tedious treadmill and ellipticals unless you want to achieve the marathoner look.
    The diet takes care of the weight loss, strength training keeps your body in shape and HIIT is a perfect combination of cardio and strength training.
    Sprinter..
    Low Carbs..

Hate it when people post absolutely crap and misleading shit.

Sprinters - They do not eat "Low Carbs". They eat pretty much whatever they throw at the body. Mostly extremely high in carbs.
    However on the other hand, marathon runnes, those guys are starting to change to "Low Carbs".

If you wish to lower you weight, easy. Eat less. Or work out more. However stay @Deficit. That's it. Low Carb, High Carb, you need to burn more than you eat.

Deleted
    The key is treadmill with the maximum incline you can get. 15% is good and do medium paced jogging/walking. I do 6 km/h with max incline and burn lots of calories each workout.

Machines suck, unfortunately. Get some free weights and lift. It burns calories well and has a nice afterburn which keeps burning calories after you've stopped, if you lift heavy.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

No machine. Be a man. Do Yoga.

TLDR: Best machine, your own body.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I always feel as if crosstrainers work well. Aside from your leg muscles you will also use biceps, triceps, back muscles.
    Thing is you need to either do HIT's on it or put the resistance way up or it will more more of an automatic movement.

Best thing is simply HIT sprints.
    Take a bikelane. Take a 100m reference marker.
    Sprint, all out.
    1 minute rest.
    Sprint all out.
    1 minute rest
    Sprint all out.
    30s rest
    Sprint all out
    30s rest
    Sprint all out
    30s rest
    Sprint all out
    Rinse and repeat.

Do 3 of those.
    Actually, if you aren't in shape and are just starting to work out, shocking your heart like that is terrible for you. On topic though, I have a rowing machine in my basement for winters and lemme tell you, its a hell of a workout.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!