Thread: Chips!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    I use sunflower oil, but I imagine many others could do. Olive oil has too strong a taste for chips imo, though.
    Also, adding a garlic clove or two while they're frying make them delicious.
    Olive Oil has a fairly low smoke point (160-200°C depending on the extraction process) which makes it unsuitable for deep-frying, as you fry chips at ~170°C.

Refined peanut oil is odourless and has a very high smoke point (230°C / 450 F) . It also has had all of the peanut proteins removed, making it safe for all but the most extremely allergic people to consume. Rape-seed (canola) oil can also be used if you don't want to use sunflower oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You can buy a 5 pound bag of potatoes for like 3 bucks (even cheaper at a farmers Market). A one pound bag of chips cost like $4 unless you buy nasty generic chips.
    Unless you're constantly doing it, or frying other things, and know how to handle your oil, and you have the time... It's a pain in the ass.

I make my own at work, but I buy potatoes in 50 pound bags, have a two deep fryers, and a staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Olive Oil has a fairly low smoke point (160-200°C depending on the extraction process) which makes it unsuitable for deep-frying, as you fry chips at ~170°C.

Refined peanut oil is odourless and has a very high smoke point (230°C / 450 F) . It also has had all of the peanut proteins removed, making it safe for all but the most extremely allergic people to consume. Rape-seed (canola) oil can also be used if you don't want to use sunflower oil.
    Peanut oil is my choice, but any refined vegetable oil is fine. Olive oil should only be used for saute or dressings, imo.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Olive oil should only be used for saute or dressings, imo.
    Confit duck leg.

Your serve

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Confit duck leg.

Your serve
    Rendered duck fat potatoes.

Butter braised shrimp...

I can go all day.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I've done it with sweet potatoes, turned out decently.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Deleted

These are chips.

These are crisp.

So now that is settled, Yes I do make my own chips, then I smother them in salt n vinigar and have them with a nice bit of battered fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ROI isn't in there for making them myself.... Once in a while for certain dishes as garnish, yeah.. else.... nope..
    But then again, I also don't eat a lot of chips anyway. If I do.. Pringles, nothing else.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Look fact of the matter is, we brits invented the potato. Yes, our advance science invented it in a lab before any other civilization, millions of years ago, so what we call them when their cut up and cooked is all that matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I make my own home made chips

I also buy ready made ones and stick them in the freezer!

Come at me America..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The ROI isn't in there for making them myself.... Once in a while for certain dishes as garnish, yeah.. else.... nope..
    But then again, I also don't eat a lot of chips anyway. If I do.. Pringles, nothing else.
    Pringles arent even real potatoes. I guess technically they are but they are made the same way instant mashed potatao flakes are made. Calling them chips is like calling a tater tot fried potatoes

Too time consuming for me. It takes long enough to cook dinner, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time making snacks too. Plus I don't like to deep fry very much. Cleaning up the used cooking oil can be a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    We make chips all the time. Usually something like steak and chips, or fish and chips. Nom!

*pokes fun* - Silly Americans and their mislabelled crisps. ;D
    I was gonna say. It's not hard to make proper chips; get a potato, peel the potato, chop the potato, CHIPS.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    Too time consuming for me. It takes long enough to cook dinner, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time making snacks too. Plus I don't like to deep fry very much. Cleaning up the used cooking oil can be a hassle.
    Youre supposed to reuse the oil. You dont fry once and dump it

We make a lot of our things, everything from chips, tortilla's, and bread to salsa and a variety of dips. We also grow almost all of our own vegetables as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    We make a lot of our things, everything from chips, tortilla's, and bread to salsa and a variety of dips. We also grow almost all of our own vegetables as well.
    Id like to figure out how to make homemade Doritos. Ive seen a couple recipes but they dont look right. Also getting the cheese would be a mystery

I work in a potato chips factory, so I have access the freshly made chips already.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Yeah, but I could be doing something more productive, like arguing on a World of Warcraft off-topic forum, instead of making chips.
    You humbled yourself just in time mat. I was on my way to nerd rage at you instead of making my own delicious home made chips!
    That, my friend, is called building an empire.

Id like to figure out how to make homemade Doritos. Ive seen a couple recipes but they dont look right. Also getting the cheese would be a mystery
    Ive never tried to make Doritos, we only ever make potato chips and flavor them or corn chips for salsa's, guacamole, nacho's, etc.
    Would be interesting to try to make some though, but yeah, the cheese would be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    However, contrary to popular belief, time is not money, unless you're self-employed.
    Opportunity cost exists in moneyless systems. Time-Currency equivalence is just shorthand to differentiate between productive choices.

Youre supposed to reuse the oil. You dont fry once and dump it
    I realize that, but you also want to skim the junk off the top, then store the oil away safely if not being used again right away. It's not like other kinds of cooking, where I can just throw the pan in the dishwasher.