Deleted

from disc to holy

ive recently come back to wow after a 3 month break & im considering changing from disc to holy.
    im just wondering what the pro's & cons of doing so would be?
    is proactive better than reactive when it comes to priest healing? i know its all about enjoyment of the game & all that, but im curious to know where holy stands as a healer compared to disc?

If you're raiding in a guild, and you don't have a disc priest, definitely go disc, it's light years ahead of holy and everything else. If you just plan on pugging, disc is still better, but you can go whichever I guess. If you're in a guild that has a disc priest, you should probably be holy (though I expect it to be so bad in HFC that the best choice is to go disc or reroll another class).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    ive recently come back to wow after a 3 month break & im considering changing from disc to holy.
    is proactive better than reactive when it comes to priest healing? i know its all about enjoyment of the game & all that, but im curious to know where holy stands as a healer compared to disc?
    Disc is getting better in 6.2 and Holy is getting worse due to the tier bonuses. Disc also offers far more utility than Holy. If you're the only Priest in the raid, you would be much better off as Disc.

The only time you should be Holy is if there is already a Disc Priest in the group. Holy isn't terrible, but Disc brings something unique (a massive amount of absorbs), which most guilds will be seeking.

Deleted
    Holy is more fun. Holy is just as good as all the other healers, except for tank healing. It's just that disc is crazy good, they should give that PWS a 5 second cd or something like that.
    Last edited by mmoc66f43097a4; 2015-06-22 at 12:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why everyone thinks that running 2 disc priests is so bad. My guild runs 3 priests (2 disc 1 holy) and we do just fine.

To the OP, disc is far ahead of holy when it comes to healing right now. Our holy priest out gears me by like 10 ilvl and I top meters most fights as disc and that's with us running 2 disc priests in the group. There's only a couple fights where holy will pull out ahead. Not sure how things will be in Hellfire Citadel yet though. My homework is to look fights up tonight & tomorrow in prep for Tuesday and I'm slacking lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    pros: people might think you are retarded and /wave at you ingame so they might feel sorry for you and give you free things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    (though I expect it to be so bad in HFC that the best choice is to go disc or reroll another class).
    This doesn´t make me feel good rerolling Holy in 6.2 cause we recruited a disc and my guild didnt want 2 resto shamans when i offered my shaman instead...
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2015-06-22 at 10:18 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I don't see why everyone thinks that running 2 disc priests is so bad. My guild runs 3 priests (2 disc 1 holy) and we do just fine.

To the OP, disc is far ahead of holy when it comes to healing right now. Our holy priest out gears me by like 10 ilvl and I top meters most fights as disc and that's with us running 2 disc priests in the group. There's only a couple fights where holy will pull out ahead. Not sure how things will be in Hellfire Citadel yet though. My homework is to look fights up tonight & tomorrow in prep for Tuesday and I'm slacking lol.
    During high end progress it usually comes down to class balance. You want 1 disc priest to bypass certain mechanics, then probably a shaman and 2 holy paladins and a resto druid if you're 5 healing (this is just an example). Having a second discipline priest doesn't bring anything extra utility wise so there are simply better options.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post

It's not bad, it's more of a gearing issue than anything else. Double disc is perfectly fine if not optimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

As a holy priest raid leader in a 8/10M guild it pains me to say that you should stay disc as holy is in a very mediocre spot atm.
    As others have said if you only have one priest in the raid they HAVE to be disc if you are looking for any meaningful progression.
    At the moment holy is just very lackluster in basically every category and its niche spot as a healer can be filled by basically every other healer but a bit better.

That being said its by no means not viable! If you already have a disc in the group then holy is a perfectly fine choice for progressing if you play it properly. With the new leech healing trinket holy make actually make a surprise comeback depending on the interactions with that and our mastery.
    Some of the main concerns with holy priest now are the lackluster tier bonuses we are receiving in addition to losing some of the best we have ever had.

In summary if you like disc-play disc and you will benefit extrodinarily since disc is and has been in a dominant position for the past couple expansions
    If you like holy PLAY HOLY (we gotta stick together) its a very enjoyable and versatile class and is still perfectly viable especially if you are just coming back to the game i encourage you to play what you enjoy.

Deleted
    thanks for all the comments guys, theyre very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    If you're raiding in a guild, and you don't have a disc priest, definitely go disc, it's light years ahead of holy and everything else. If you just plan on pugging, disc is still better, but you can go whichever I guess. If you're in a guild that has a disc priest, you should probably be holy (though I expect it to be so bad in HFC that the best choice is to go disc or reroll another class).
    Assuming Heroic: There's really never anything wrong with Double Disc unless you have a Holy Pally. If you have two Disc Priests one just specs Clarity of Will and sits on the tanks, and the other specs Words of Mending, and Shield spams. I always laugh when I'm in a pug and we are waiting in queue for like 10 mins for another healer, but there are like 5 Disc Priests in queue, but the RL refuses to run double disc when the other healers are like Shaman/Druid/Monk. But yeah literally the only time you don't want to run double Disc is if you have a Holy Pally, or are just doing 10 man, because 10 man can be two healed, and two healing with double Disc would be awful (exception being a fight like Maidens where double Disc Clarity of Will is disgusting). I have two healed 15 man with a Holy Pally before and that was painful. In 15 man+ double Disc is perfectly fine, for Heroic at least. Mythic you probably only want one.
    Last edited by muto; 2015-06-23 at 02:37 AM.