10+ Year Old Account

Russia demonstrates first 'microwave gun' that can disable drones and missiles (GGT)

Russia demonstrates first 'microwave gun' that can disable drones and missiles from up to six miles away at Army-2015

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10323243.html

Russia claims to have developed a high-frequency “microwave gun” that can disable military drones and missile warheads from a distance of up to six miles.

Defence manufacturer UIMC, part of the state-owned Rostec Corporation, announced that it would be demonstrating the power of the weapon at the Army-2015 conference attended by Vladimir Putin on Tuesday.

According to state media outlet Sputnik News, the gun has been developed for the use of the Russian military and can be fitted onto existing BUK missile systems.

UIMC officials said the weapon is capable of firing super-high-frequency electromagnetic waves to suppress equipment on board low-altitude aircraft, as well as the precision targeting systems on board missiles.

Speaking to Sputnik News, a UIMC spokesperson said: “The new system is equipped with a high-power relativistic generator and reflector antenna, management and control system, and a transmission system which is fixed on the chassis of BUK surface-to-air missile systems.

“When mounted on a special platform, the ‘microwave gun’ is capable of ensuring perimeter defense at 360 degrees.”

Mr Putin opened the Army-2015 international conference with a presidential address on Tuesday, during which he announced that Russia would be adding more than 40 new intercontinental ballistic missiles to its nuclear arsenal.

The military forum was planned to run until Friday. UIMC said it would be demonstrating the “microwave gun” during the closed portion of the conference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't these been on US destroyers for several years?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

That's not good for them dronez.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    nope. EMPs and jamming is were its at now besides nukes.

Depending on what the actual frequency is, someone might need to be slapped for calling it a microwave gun. Microwaves are low frequency compared to everything except radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one that saw he's adding more and more ICBMs to the arsenal...?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Am I the only one that saw he's adding more and more ICBMs to the arsenal...?
    He won't use them anyway so it's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Depending on what the actual frequency is, someone might need to be slapped for calling it a microwave gun. Microwaves are low frequency compared to everything except radio.
    hence calling it a “microwave gun” instead of calling it a microwave gun
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    hence calling it a “microwave gun” instead of calling it a microwave gun
    Quotation marks don't make it any less stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Quotation marks don't make it any less stupid.
    but it allows it to be stupid.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/382119.jpg
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    nope. EMPs and jamming is were its at now besides nukes.
    Nope, we've had infrared & microwave "guns" that can kill off ICBM's for years now (technically we had really crappy versions back in the 90's but we have cooler, much more practical versions now). Biggest difference is that the U.S. doesn't shout on the top of its lungs on each new cool toy it gets. Knowing in general how the U.S. variation works I literally don't see how it couldn't also be applied to drones, although not many countries are launching drones other than the U.S. so I doubt the application is attempted often.
    The technologies U.S. defense researchers come up with some times puts current science fiction to shame, there is a good reason why the Department of Defense takes up an absurd amount of the U.S. budget. Similar to NASA the products of the research comes back to public benefit like forty years after it's put to use (like kapton tape, cell phones and the internet).

edit: For Skandulous's benefit, most of these fun toys end up with the air force, because planes go nearly anywhere, while boats stay in the water.
    Last edited by kendro1200; 2015-06-22 at 12:26 AM.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No but this thing they made has been around for decades, nothing new