Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Wiifm (What's in it for me)

Figured that since the vast majority of us are young adults (while some are even older with some rust in your shots), that a discussion like this would be insightful.

Basically, before I make any decision, I always ask myself Wiifm (what's in it for me). If i'm about to spend money (wiffm). Before I decide whether or not I do someone a favor, Wiffm again.

It's not necessarily because i'm self-centered. It's just that doing so, IMO, forces people to actually sit and think about what they're doing instead of just doing something because they're expected to or because of impulses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Outright revolutionary.
    Well don't you have an eye for talent.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not necessarily because i'm self-centered.
    No if your approach in life is always WIIFM it's for sure because you are self centered there is no other explanation for it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No if your approach in life is always WIIFM it's for sure because you are self centered there is no other explanation for it.
    What?

No it fucking doesn't Mall.

WIIFM is certainly a useful concept to know about.

Hell, my college even discusses WIIFM.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    WIIFM is certainly a useful concept to know about.

Hell, my college even discusses WIIFM.
    It's apparently a sales acronym in the corporate world.

I've done it for about a year now, but didn't have a fancy acronym for it until a buddy used it recently.

Putting thought into actions before hand, ground breaking.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I don't get it, doesn't everyone consider "what's in it for me" when buying something? That's kind of how the economy works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Smart man. You should get something from every interaction. Even if it does not have a dollar sign like a good conscious. The best advice I ever got involved my cuz explaining that is how folks work. So always make sure I am getting as much out of a friend as they get from me.
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    It's apparently a sales acronym in the corporate world.

I've done it for about a year now, but didn't have a fancy acronym for it until a buddy used it recently.
    On WIIFM, the subject matter that is connected with the acronym, is of sales pitches apparently.

Gotta convince the person that the subject matter relates to them and that they should pay attention, thereby using their audience's self interest to the presenter's advantage. Really, its hook, line and sinker.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    So always make sure I am getting as much out of a friend as they get from me.
    oO

OT: Eh, that sounds way too self centred to me. I usually just ask myself questions relating to what I'm doing, so if I'm buying something it'll be like "is this good value for money, does it meet my criteria" etc... If someone's asking me for a favour it'll be along the lines of "Do I have the time/ability to do this properly"
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2015-06-22 at 05:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Hmm I usually ask myself 1 of 2 questions Would I want someone to do this to/for me? When buying something Do I really need X? I don't like to outright refuse someone unless they are asking for money, which I don't do because I wouldn't ask someone for money nor would I like asking them for money as it would be embarrassing to me. After some of the shit I have purchased and never used or used once I make it a habit to not make impulse buys anymore either. I remember when I bought a PDA when they were huge and smartphones hadn't blown up yet. I messed with it for about 2 hours and was like why the hell did I buy this thing, I'm never going to use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What?

No it fucking doesn't Mall.
    If everybody thought that way BigZoMan your life and the way you live would be in a whole world of shit, you are confusing with long term pay off, with going into something and expecting something coming out. Those aren't the same things. Sometimes you give what you get, or get what you give, but there is almost never consistent situations where, you are going to get something for it. It's a stupid premise, and one pretty common among some of the worst cultures not the best.

"Ask not what your country can do for you" Speech mentions nothing about holding the receipt. You either give or you don't, but you don't get to decide later on what is owed to you because your excuse is that you didn't kick in because of your WIIFM attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    oO

OT: Eh, that sounds way too self centred to me. I usually just ask myself questions relating to what I'm doing, so if I'm buying something it'll be like "is this good value for money, does it meet my criteria" etc... If someone's asking me for a favour it'll be along the lines of "Is it an emergency, am I the only one capable of doing this for this person, is this going to fuck up anything important I had planned"
    To be fair, I think what Bigzoman is advocating, is rational self interest.

In addition to the knee-jerk 'immediately think greed' reaction, I think there is a line to be drawn (read: eye of the beholder) - what is greed exactly?

I mean, acting in your self interest does raise eyebrow, but to what extent is it acceptable?

Like what if someone does something so that they can maintain a minimum standard of living?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, perhaps greed is a reflection of marginal benefit, and economic yada yada.

10+ Year Old Account
    If everybody thought that way BigZoMan your life and the way you live would be in a whole world of shit, you are confusing with long term pay off, with going into something and expecting something coming out. Those aren't the same things. Sometimes you give what you get, or get what you give, but there is almost never consistent situations where, you are going to get something for it. It's a stupid premise, and one pretty common among some of the worst cultures not the best.

"Ask not what your country can do for you" Speech mentions nothing about holding the receipt. You either give or you don't, but you don't get to decide later on what is owed to you because your excuse is that you didn't kick in because of your WIIFM attitude.
    Not necessarily. WHen you consider what you're gonna get out of it, surely you consider whether or not doing the favor tightens your bond with the person in question + if it's even in your best interest to keep the bond strong to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    To be fair, I think what Bigzoman is advocating, is rational self interest.

In addition to the knee-jerk 'immediately think greed' reaction, I think there is a line to be drawn (read: eye of the beholder) - what is greed exactly?

I mean, acting in your self interest does raise eyebrow, but to what extent is it acceptable?

Like what if someone does something so that they can maintain a minimum standard of living?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, perhaps greed is a reflection of marginal benefit, and economic yada yada.
    No, it's not a knee jerk reaction, it's a well informed one, every dollar you spend or every resource you invest or put fourth isn't always about what's in it for me. Not every solider that fought in WW2 for instance had kids, or had a chance to make any. Regardless to what reason people think they gave up their lives, it doesn't change the fact that out the back end they weren't really getting anything but death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't get it, doesn't everyone consider "what's in it for me" when buying something? That's kind of how the economy works.
    Not entirely. Buyers remorse is a very real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. WHen you consider what you're gonna get out of it, surely you consider whether or not doing the favor tightens your bond with the person in question + if it's even in your best interest to keep the bond strong to begin with.
    No, if I knew you and we were friends, and you said "hey Mall, can you loan me $200, my car broke down, and I don't know anybody else, and If I don't get this car fixed, I can't make it to work, and I'll lose my job and be in a tight spot, can you help me out?"

You want to know what one of my first questions WON'T BE?

If I can help you out I would, I am not going to attach say interest on the loan or have you sign something to get it back, if I know you and trust you then I will loan you the money and expect it when you say you will pay me back, NOT because I am going to personally get anything out of it.

Self-interest is always bounded by the person's time preference. Time preference dictates pretty much how every person will act in a given circumstance, but it makes perfect sense to ask the "WIIFM" question, as long as you know what your time preference for recompense is. Most people's time-preference is very high, they want things as soon as possible, which is why people are always very suspicious of arguments in favor of self-interest, because whether they are aware of the term or not, they know that people think in the short term, thus it is better to have structural support nets instead of "I help you in exchange for you helping me at some undetermined point in the future."

However, that doesn't make the latter system any less workable; it's how family systems have worked since humans first developed agriculture. But it does mandate a less impactful time preference.