10+ Year Old Account

Are prot paladins really as bad as people are making them out to be come 6.2?

i have a warrior at about 685 ilvl hes prot i have a 666 prot paladin which i feel much tankier on but all ive been seeing lately is people saying prot pallys are just behind all the other tanks in every way even though on my warrior i feel like i have far less ways to mitigate damage. Any info from anyone?

Not sure how you could ever feel tankier on a 666 paladin than 685 warrior unless you're talking about something silly like 5mans or lfr or you're not pressing shield block. In that easy content the warrior's lack of self healing would mean you require some healing while a paladin doesn't, but otherwise you're playing wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have so many more ways to keep myself from taking damage on a pally and my active mitigation on warrior just seems to do so little in comparison

In easier content it doesn't matter what tank you play they are all viable.

In Mythic prot paladin's and warriors have the same problem they can get trucked even with AM up because of low health pool compared to DK's/Druids and Monk's have massive guard absorbs.

It was night and day doing progression mythic gruul with dk/monk vs prot pal/warrior.

Druids are getting a massive buff and Monk's and DK's are still kings in 6.2.

@Tripleblack:
    Basically paladins are bad in progression mythic.
    In the correct gear (eg; if they had mythic gear already, going into mythic), all tanks are fine/equal.

A warrior and a paladin are 100% equal when it comes to HP( they both have +10% Stam)
    Warrior gets -25%, (-30% if glad stance talent) dmg taken... and then has mastery for block(Crap) and crit block(Scaling factor for AM)
    Paladin gets -10% dmg taken... .. and then has mastery for block (crap), Increased Bastion effectiveness(Crap), and SOTR scaling (scaling factor for AM)

This generally makes warrior better at all things unless you need the raid utility aspect of HOPs/Sacs.. or soloing mythic maiden Marak boat with empowered seals healing(No healer on boat).... because the warrior is, base, taking -20% dmg then the paladin is.

Then when you actually LOOK at the content incoming in HFC//6.2... alot of fucking spell dmg intake on the tanks.. making warriors miles better then paladins because you can't rely on the RNGesus of Holy Shield talent to actually *block* a 600k magic hit.

This is why most people are going Druid/Warrior for their 2tank setup in progression now... Druid has the massive HP pool, a -10% magic, and talented -12% all -- for DR%... and the warrior can spec around a -25 or -30% DR, or faster recharging CDs/Ravager.

Deleted
    No everything should be viable.

Effective Health basically.
    Monks have Stagger + Guard that increases their effective health tenfolds.
    DKs have shields / heals for the same result, Guardian Druids have big self heals as well.

Warriors and Paladins are "limited" to block and active mitigation.

For protection paladins in 6.2 you're lowest on damage, self heal and ability to mitigate or sustain damage taken for longer without a healer.
    It's a problem caused by the absorb/selfheal model of the non shield tanks, kinda shared with the absorb healers (Disc priest and holy paladins).
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    For Prot Paladin, one can't say that they are crap, persay (If your guild has a prot paladin for tank, any issues raiding Mythic will NOT be because you have a prot paladin), but that they are currently worse then ALL other tanks. Currently you have DKs (Godly absorption/mitigation for burst hits, which are generally what kills when raiding, and decent constant mitigation), Monks (Not quite as good as before, but still extremely strong, with the best ways to mitigate instant burst damage), and Druids (Highest EH of all tanks, and they got some nice buffs this patch bringing them ahead of monks) at the top of the chart.

Then you have warriors, who not only have BETTER baseline mitigation (They now get, what, 30% baseline mitigation with the 5% buff to Dstance?), but also better actives (SotR only affects physical damage. Prot Warriors can absorb non-physical damage, and are pretty decent for physical damage mitigation with their active mitigation). They are both about equal in terms of defensive CDs as well now.

So yea. Between Warriors and Paladins, Warriors currently come out ahead in most circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.