Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    For those who are going Frost for Hellfire Assault? Are you speccing into Frost Bomb or Unstable Magic? I've been testing a bunch of different specs and I'm underwhelmed with all of them. Looking for thoughts and opinions.
    Frost bomb is the way to go until full Mythic. UM requires an insane amount of haste to become better than Frost Bomb especially with its set bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelexip View Post
    Frost bomb is the way to go until full Mythic. UM requires an insane amount of haste to become better than Frost Bomb especially with its set bonuses.
    This is untrue, in fact by the time you're in full mythic you may well just be back to playing Arcane again.
    It is not haste scaling that makes UM outpace Frost Bomb, it is Archimonde's trinket.

Archimonde's Trinket demands you cast a Frostbolt before every Ice Lance, greatly increasing UM's proc rate (as it greatly increases your number of Frostbolts).

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    This is untrue, in fact by the time you're in full mythic you may well just be back to playing Arcane again.
    It is not haste scaling that makes UM outpace Frost Bomb, it is Archimonde's trinket.

Archimonde's Trinket demands you cast a Frostbolt before every Ice Lance, greatly increasing UM's proc rate (as it greatly increases your number of Frostbolts).
    OFC Arcane is better. I was answering a question about Frost. I gave a quick response to why UM will be better not a in-depth analysis.

What is the better lvl 100 talent for frost in hfc? If picking frost bomb or ice Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelexip View Post
    OFC Arcane is better. I was answering a question about Frost. I gave a quick response to why UM will be better not a in-depth analysis.
    You didn't give an answer about why UM was better, you said UM is never better until you reach Mythic. That's wrong.
    UM becomes better than Frost Bomb for Frost with the correct trinkets and set bonuses, then stays that way. It doesn't require mythic gear.

I am the person who explained why UM will be better. You just said "it's not".

Deleted
    Would be great if those that have killed 12 or 13 hc bosses could give their advice on specs/talents for the 13 bosses, so lesser progressed players like myself can take advantage of that knowledge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimme View Post
    Would be great if those that have killed 12 or 13 hc bosses could give their advice on specs/talents for the 13 bosses, so lesser progressed players like myself can take advantage of that knowledge.
    Check warcraftlogs maybe?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    Check warcraftlogs maybe?
    Thats what I have been doing so far.
    I was more thinking in terms of talent choices, and some tricks for the fights maybe.
    But you are right of course, if I dive into the logs a bit more I can see if IN, IF etc. was used.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Figure it out for yourself? :P
    Brilliant!, i agree <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Far from a top mage, but through 13/13N and 11/13H here’s what I played. Frost on Assault, Council, Iskar, Tyrant, and Xhul’horac. Arcane on the rest.

During Mythic progression I’d imagine a couple of those Frosts will be Arcane instead. You aren’t going to compete on the meters on Assault unless you’re Fire, so probably just stick with Arcane for the better single-target burst on adds. Hopefully it won’t be too long before I just spend the fight running in circles spamming AE. God I dislike that fight already. Could go Arcane on Xhul’horac if the last phase is the hurdle, Arcane might be more useful on Iskar as well.

I'd imagine most mages will be Arcane/Frost during progression. Plus, I believe that Arcane gets the best boost from the legendary rings once we have them so that may seal it as the best spec on most fights. I could see Fire being played for padding on a few fights and trying to rank, but not that much more.

Fire's gotten really bad. Anyone still playing fire?

Actually, fire is pretty good now in decent gear and proper trinkets.
    #1 on Archi M is fire mage for example.
    Fire can also be top on a half of the HFC encounters:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/8#class=Mage