Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Five years since last upgrade.

I will allow a budget up to $2500, and I would like to use a resolution of at least 1920X1080 that can also go beyond 60 FPS.

I only play WoW but I would like to begin playing other games on max settings. Live in USA and do not to worried about being to intense on 3D or anything like that.

Reusing Hard Drive and Disc drive+ peripherals. Do not require a new OS.

Ideally I would be getting a new 980 Ti vid card since I am still using the 260 model and a I7 CPU, and 32GB of ram.

Question is is the 980 Ti worth it?

That graphics card, 32GBs of RAM, an I7, and a $2500 budget are all huge overkill for WoW, and not even needed for most games.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I could go less if I wanted. I do want to be able to do more though and havent done any real upgrades in such a long time it would be nice. what would be a good vid card then if I don't need to spend that much?

A 970 is probably the best bang for your buck right now, and can handle anything at 1080p.

8 GBs of RAM if enough for any game, although I do use 16 myself, due to streaming/recording while playing and editing video.

If you are not running multiple things at once such as I am, (streaming/recording, etc) while gaming, an i5 will handle just about anything you can throw at it.

The specs you listed would be more suited to 1440p gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be interested in recording/stream though I have begun to use a second monitor and don't feel like I will ever be going back.

Quote Originally Posted by chromeshellking View Post
    I would be interested in recording/stream though I have begun to use a second monitor and don't feel like I will ever be going back.
    I would recommend a hyperthreaded CPU then. It performs a lot better in such cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which I have one picked out already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117369

Which I have one picked out already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117369
    Yeah, I am running a water-cooled 4770k OCed to 4.9, and could not be happier. It handles everything I throw at it with ease, so the 4790k should be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've also noticed my mutlitasking is starting to slow down, even restarting causes a freeze and I have to restart again.

Deleted
    The following is a high end pc, included one of the best monitors around. Case does not have an optical drive, you can either get an external or we can find a case that can accomodate one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($497.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($784.80 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2264.60
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-23 03:00 EDT-0400

10+ Year Old Account
    The few things in that list though I would compare a bit more on are the Case and monitor I have picked out Vs the other one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009742 Acer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236313 Asus

As for a Case I also Had a Full tower picked out but as long as it fits all around comfortably I could also slide on that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119297

Only reason I am adding a monitor into the cost of this one is I would replace one as this old system would be recycled to a home office system for the family.
    Last edited by Chromeshellking; 2015-06-23 at 08:35 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah well the monitors are night and day apart, different league. The Asus one is 1080p, TN panel, no Gsync/Freesync. The other is 1440p@144Hz IPS monitor, flicker free with Gsync.

With a gtx 980(ti) you don't play 1080p, its waste of money. You are looking at least 1440p@60hz. If you want a cheaper monitor then BenQ gw2765ht is decent choice.

Which case you had your eyes on?

edit: i saw your case edit. That an ok case but non one i would go for for the simple reason that you can get better case for the money. If it was sub 100$ i would say ok but not now. For that price you can find better cases like the one i linked and that is a little expensive too. You can even get a Fractal Design R5 /w for less. Also not a fan of full atx cases with 1 gpu setup, you don't get anything out of it, on the contrary if you have window looks empty, takes up more space and needs more time to clean.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-06-23 at 08:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119297 CM storm Trooper.

And that is a fair point if I am getting that kinda of Vid card I need to cash out to max out it's use.

- - - Updated - - -

I am assuming BenQ is a new brand? I have never heard of it before.

Deleted
    The only thing I'd consider changing from Kos' build is to potentially get the Broadwell Core i7 CPU next month.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    The only thing I'd consider changing from Kos' build is to potentially get the Broadwell Core i7 CPU next month.
    It is not worth waiting for Broadwell. Intel has decided for them to have a short "shelf-life", due to all the problems they have had with them, and get the next ones (Skylake) into the market. If one is going to wait, it would be better to wait a little longer for the Skylake series, which is superior in every way to Broadwell.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119297 CM storm Trooper.

And that is a fair point if I am getting that kinda of Vid card I need to cash out to max out it's use.

- - - Updated - - -

I am assuming BenQ is a new brand? I have never heard of it before.
    BenQ makes some good monitors and has been around for awhile now. The company spun-off from Acer in 2001.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2015-06-23 at 08:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    It is not worth waiting for Broadwell. Intel has decided for them to have a short "shelf-life", and get the next ones (Skylake) into the market. If one is going to wait, it would be better to wait a little longer for the Skylake series, which is superior in every way to Broadwell.

- - - Updated - - -

BenQ makes some good monitors and has been around for awhile now. The company spun-off from Acer in 2001.

Oh guess you learn something new everyday. But this is why I am happy to work towards/save up things replace so quickly but after 5 years I was like time to reward myself.

Deleted
    Well if you are not in a hurry and could wait till Sept-November the new intel cpu's - skylake is coming out. Its a good choice as well if you can wait till then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Well if you are not in a hurry and could wait till Sept-November the new intel cpu's - skylake is coming out. Its a good choice as well if you can wait till then.
    Might be even sooner than that. Skylake will be debuting August 5-9 at Gamescon 2015.
    http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-de...gamescom-2015/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Especially since Nvidia is shitting the bed right now with their drivers. Like all of their releases above 350 have been utter shit, unstable even sitting on the desktop or using web browsers.

---

For real though OP, just build a mid range system. ~4690k or around there, 970, 8-16GB, and get an SSD... That can max pretty much everything at 1440p or below 60+ fps...

I have an old 2500k, 970, 16GB and there isn't any game I can't run at max or near max with steady 60fps... Granted I play at only 1080p, but yeah.

980TI and that kind of shit... Those are enthusiast cards... Those aren't for "maxing" games... They are for getting high epeen scores in 3dmark and running shit at 2160p...

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Especially since Nvidia is shitting the bed right now with their drivers. Like all of their releases above 350 have been utter shit, unstable even sitting on the desktop or using web browsers.
    I have had zero issues with Nvidia drivers and have installed every update as soon as they come out.