Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I like to label myself as conservative although I'm for gun control, against religion in politics, for regulation, and for moderate tax increases.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Ummm, I guess many of the more liberal members of this board (which I more closely identify with than conservative) tend to think xKeyscore and other such dragnet internet surveillance systems are fine, but I think they're potentially very dangerous.

I also think Nuclear Power is awesome, and I think any solution we find for global warming and energy independence needs to be economically viable.

I'm also not a fan of Obama or Hilary Clinton, both because I think they're authoritarians.
    ^ We share all the above

On the topic of energy and climate change - I think the first step to making renewable solutions competitive, is to stop providing disproportionate subsidies and advantages to the fossil fuel markets. A study last year suggested that between 2002-2008, in the US, $72 Billion of federal funding alone (excluding states and municipalities) went to the fossil fuel industry, versus only $29 Billion to non-fossil sources.

While part of that is explained by the much larger signature of fossil fuels on the current energy market, if we're going to get serious about incentivizing a change - we need to stop bracing the existing market up - because it makes new alternatives look less competitive than they actually are: some estimates suggest green alternatives are already cheaper, once all government support for either sector is factored out.

Politicians are afraid of the transitional unemployment to the new market adaptation - so subsidies are a good idea in the political short-term - but it's not in our long-term best interest.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

im quite leftist in most cases conserning economy. But some of the things the far left does here in sweden is batshit crazy.

I disagree that the extreme immigration is an "enrichment" of our multiculturalism.

i disagree with quotas. merits should be the one and only thing that matters when seeking a job. not skincolor, religion or sex.

i disagree with feminism, in all of its forms. its an ideology that have changed from being about equality and is now promoting active inequality by enforcing rules that favor women over men. It claims to be about equality but only acts to further increase the inequality between women and men. It should be labed a hategroup and be banished from any place of authority.

I disagree with the media intentionally leaving information out in their reports to fruther their ideological agenda that there is no tension between diffrent cultures. Conflicts should be highlighted and dealt with, not swept under the rug.

If i whould go further from reality and step into my own view of an utopia:
    I think that political debates as a practice should stop. Its not helpful to anyone seeing ppl throwing insults and lies around. Made up statistics and halftruths.
    Discussions should be made with facts that suppots them and arguments should be met and countered back and forth.
    Discussions about politics should be handled just like any scientific study.
    Points of view clearly stated, factchecked data presented, and opinions fully explained. And counter arguemnts should be followed up upon.
    I think politicians as a whole is an outdated and useless concept. Rather than voting for ppl, we should be voting for ideas. Ideas presented as a scientific thesis.

10+ Year Old Account
    My views are so scattered depending on the subject I fit into no categories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on edit... I am anti-authoritarian, but support corporal punishment.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    you sound like a liberal on all those issues - at least in the laissez faire sense of the term liberal.
    I've always found trying to fit someone in a box where political views in question to be extremely unforgiving.

I'm not a fan of most criminal incarceration. I don't find it to be very productive to society. That being said, my wife and I were just talking the other day and I'm pretty clear on the "asian" format of things.

Oh, is that a kilo of cocaine you have there? That's a hand, prefer left or right?

I lean pretty heavily to the left, in social issues at least, but I have a strong streak of realism and practicality which leans rightward on economic ones. I have no problems spending government money on things that work, but I think certain programs need to be assessed pretty regularly to determine if they're "working", for the money invested, and if not, they need to be torn down and done properly.
    This is my position as well. Though I also tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to issues of economics and effective government spending.

Deleted
    I'm a leftist right-wing anti-fascist who leans backwards.

My ideology is to the right, which is limited government. I go against my ideology when it comes to the military. I'll support a Big Government military. The GOP shares this view, so that makes voting pretty easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm moderate on gun control. i'm for background checks but against assault rifle bans.
    i'm staunchly pro death penalty.
    everything else i'm to the left on.
    with some authoritarian leanings.
    (i'm also anti draenei.)
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-06-24 at 02:05 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm rather strongly left-wing (<cough> understatement <cough>) and tend to vote Green, but...

I'm fairly strongly pro-gun; I think most "anti-gun" activists don't know what they're talking about, and support public (but not mandatory) firearms education, along with state-level firearms licenses. (Too many people who do buy guns don't know wtf they're doing. The things you see people doing at the range... /facepalm.)

I'm also pretty strong pro-nuclear, though I don't believe for-profit corporations can be trusted to run reactors; have them operated transparently by the government or non-profits. (Or get the Navy involved - for all I criticize US institutions, the USN has accumulated an amazingly good safety record.) Oh, and tell the state of Nevada that they can either start storing nuclear waste in their storage facility, or they can pay back the other 49 states what it cost to build there.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Seeing as I am largely conservative, the most obvious outliers in my ideology is that I fully support socialized (free) healthcare and college.

I tend to be fiscally conservative to moderate and socially moderate to liberal depending on the specific issue at hand. In short... I believe taxes need to be at a certain level to maintain a properly functional society that cares for its citizens but I don't think they should be so high as to completely gouge those who do well for themselves. With that said, I don't think taxes are high enough on those that are excessively wealthy currently in the United States, or more specifically, by virtue of having that wealth, the rich have access to methods of avoiding paying their fair share of taxes and I believe that needs to be fixed. At the same time, I believe our government should give GENEROUS tax breaks to companies that PRODUCE products and employ citizens in the United States. Thus we encourage more jobs stay here and provide our citizens with employment. Made in the U.S.A. needs to actually exist again.

On social issues, I believe a woman has the right to determine what happens within her body... up till the point where any fetus she's carrying can survive outside the womb. I can't think of any excuse (outside of a sudden health issue that could result in death) to wait beyond the first trimester to have an abortion. If you're not going to keep it, you should be able to make that decision fairly soon after discovering you are pregnant. Three months (the first trimester) is a more than generous amount of time to think about it. I believe all people should be treated equally, regardless of ethnicity, religion, orientation, etc. I believe, barring logical justification (limiting marriage by age, or close blood relations), a person should be able to marry whomever they desire. With that said, I don't like that we need affirmative action laws. I believe each person should be judged based on their character and ability, not on ethnicity, religion, orientation, etc. Sadly while I don't like them, I feel we still need them. I just wish we could evolve past needing them.

I'm pro-gun to a point, but I do feel there needs to be some regulation and background checks. I have mixed feelings on the death penalty. I support single payer healthcare and I believe a basic college eduction should be accessible to all. I oppose religion in politics. I don't believe we should be giving welfare to certain corporations. I believe we can tremendously reduce welfare to citizens by ensuring jobs pay enough, even at minimum wage, to actually QUALIFY to pay income taxes. I don't believe dismantling welfare/social security will help our society in any way.

Politically, as far as I'm concerned, Republicans and Democrats suck, Libertarians are basically Republican-Lite, and the Tea Party is just an insane offshoot of the Republicans created by the Koch brothers. They all spend like there's no tomorrow regardless of what they spout about being financially conservative. The only difference is what they want to spend it on. Democrats main saving grace is that they typically throw a few bones to the little people to keep them pacified and are less prone to blatantly screwing minorities over (though I'm sure there's a lot that goes on that we don't hear about).

I'm not sure where that puts me politically. There is no party that lives up to my ideals in the United States.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2015-06-24 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call myself a social conservative but an economic democrat. Conservatives have really killed their own party with the monstrous levels of the income gap + inflation + declining economy + tax reform. Democrats have stalled the hell out of this as well I might add and saw other things more important to be aggressive on.

Deleted
    My political ideologie doesn't think its ok to kill anyone with a different opinion.

But thats about as far as the disagreement goes.