Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me with my Masters!

Greetings,

My name is Garret Ford, and I am a Masters student at the University of Lethbridge in Canada. I am conducting a research study on the emotional and social profiles of World of Warcraft players. An online survey is running from June, 18 2015 and will be finalized in August, 2015. The study is limited to 250 participants. By participating you may enter a draw for a World of Warcraft in-game pet from the online store.

If you are of 18 years of age or older and have an active World of Warcraft account you are eligible to participate. Please click the link below to access the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L5XSRR5

Thank you.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    7. Have you deceived any of your family members, therapists, or others because the amount of your gaming activity?

Really?
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

5. Have you lost interests in previous hobbies and other entertainment activities as a result of your engagement with the game?
    Never
    Rarely
    Sometimes
    Often
    Very often

Really dude? Its a simple yes no question. The same with numbers 6, 7, 8 and 9. You could possibly add Maybe to them. But the answer options make no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Are EU people eligible for pets?

Deleted
    One shitty ingame pet?

Some of these questions were very poorly constructed, and I really doubt that they're suitable for a Masters Degree. At my University we have to have these things approved by an Ethics Board, as well as a quality control check by our lecturer. Was this the case for yourself?

If not, I seriously suggest getting those both first as they'd highlight all of the issues beforehand. I stopped answering them because many of the answers would skew any attempt you'd have at creating a realistic deduction for your thesis.

Also, why would you limit the pool of participants to 250? It might be a valid decision for your case, but I did something similar for one of my Bachelor's Degree units a few months back, and in total I got well over 500 answers on our survey, which helped secure a very good mark for having such a broad and wide range or participants.

Hi there! Thanks for all your feedback on the survey so far. I appreciate the communities involvement in this.

@ Princess Kenny & Zantos: Some questions are unusual to you but apply to other gamers taking it, and it is not expected that all gamers will respond in a certain way. Thank you for mentioning that question standing out to you as odd though as I am appreciative of feedback.

@Faenskap: Provided you give a valid email in the event that you win, you are be eligible to win regardless of region. Thanks for asking.

@ Hyve: The survey questions used were from various measures that are utilized in the health sciences field and while they are certainly not perfect they were what I decided to use after reviewing their properties. As for the ethics and lecturer question, all the chosen surveys were reviewed by our Human Subjects Research Board and my supervisor prior to starting this survey. The sample size was chosen to be limited to 250 based upon the length of the survey as I realize ten minutes to complete as survey is quite long. Lastly compared to other similar studies that I looked into this size was deemed suitable as I would be able to get a useful data set. I appreciate your forward thinking in asking me these questions on my research.

Thank you very much for your feedback on this!

GF

Survey update!

Greetings All!

I am continuing to gather responses through out the summer and have reached the half way mark for survey responses.

If you wish to help me with my masters please fill out the survey and I would greatly appreciated!

I have been very pleased with the response from the community! Thank you everyone.

GF

Survey update! Greetings All!

Wow fans! I am very grateful to the community for the response I have received on my survey. I am nearing the cap for responses, if you have not yet filled out my survey and would like to, please do so soon as possible by clicking the link below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L5XSRR5

Thank you so much for all your support in my master's thesis.

GF

Just finished your survey. Good luck on your research.
    There are a million fine looking women in this world but not all of them will bring you lasagna at work. Most of them will just cheat on you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Kill the Masters!
    lol'd

too much GoT huh

Thank you for the response and for filling out the survey! I appreciate your support.

GF

Just finished filling it out. Interesting survey, I'd be curious to see the results when you're done.

Finished it also, good luck with it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Just finished it. I hope that I turn out to be an outlier and not the norm.

That would be horrible for everyone if my answers were somewhat standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

"6. Have you continued your gaming activity despite knowing it was causing problems between you and other people?"

When you wrote this question, did you realize how narrow the group was for whom this question could be answered with a yes or no?

Same with this one in the anxiety section actually
    "21. Trying to pick up someone" I went with none and never, but having never had much of a need for picking people up, for a number of reasons, I can't say I understand what the anxiety would be about exactly. Other than behaving like an animal and feeling shame I suppose. Honestly, no idea how that works.

Uh... well... it's telling me my name is in Invalid Format soooo apparently it doesn't like my name and I can't take the survey

Said it before, and I'll say it again; Your survey will create a biased set of results due to the poor wording of your questions. Some of them literally give no option, just to agree with an extreme statement, or to disagree, despite there bring various other options that should be available.

Greetings all!

@Cirra: Thank you for your interest in the survey and study, if you wish to recieve updates please email me!

@Crteer: I appreciate your support, thanks!

@Arcanimus: I am eager to see the results.

@Hrugner: The tools I selected like any instruments of measurement are not perfect. Thanks for pointing this out.

@Brilynn: There isn't a name field in the survey? Are you refering to the email address for the pet draw?

@Hyve: Thank you for repeating your constructive feedback on the subject, I appreciate it your forward thinking!

I am continuing to collect responses, I hope to be hearing from as many people as I can!

GF

Hope I didn't fill it in too late