Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's like they're trying to make a real life basiliks.

Quote Originally Posted by shogunit3 View Post

1.) a mythical reptile with a lethal gaze or breath, hatched by a serpent from a cock's egg

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    It wouldn't be a Dinosaur it would be a modified chicken I don't think a Paleontologist would be happy with that.
    A chicken is essentially just a modified dinosaur.

I can't wait to see where this leads. Very excited about the dino chicken! We already have goats that produce spider silk in their milk and Viruses that were tweaked to use a protein coat that collects the components needed to turn their bodies into batteries- so I am all for making pet "dinosaurs." Not to mention all of the other positive and informational implications such research could yield in the future. Also if you are able to activate the long dormant genes in a chicken it can unlock a lot of information on how they evolved and what they looked like. it may not be the perfect dinosaur but i would imagine it would still be something that would interest Paleontologists.

I am not worried about a possible Jurassic Park scenario in the slightest either. we are not talking about bringing back the biggest of the big and the baddest of the bad here. we are talking about...chickens.
    We have to remember that at the end of the day Dinosaurs are animals just like bears, alligators, rhinos and elephants are animals. yes they can be dangerous but if the animals we have now have not managed to wipe us out yet then i think a few contained chicken lizards won't end the world. Dinosaurs have been turned into movie monsters that are often larger, smarter and more needlessly aggressive than they would be in real life. (I mean come on, if every animal acted like they do in the movies they would never be able to sneak up on prey in-between all the needless roaring and would not live long enough to pass on their genes because of all the non-stop fights to the death waged with anything that moved.)

I wonder if they will be able to eventually bring back the actual type of feathers dinosaurs had, or will the great chickenosaurus be stuck with the standard "farm chicken white" fluffiness of doom feathers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    A chicken is essentially just a modified dinosaur.
    I'am a modificationist.

I believe a modificator modificates creatures by seemingly random mutation to adapt to their suroundings.

There are different breeds of chicken and you could potentially engineer any color or crest type.

Dinosaur-feather wise, maybe Silkie Chickens, because they don't have the "quills" in the feathers that other birds have, meaning it's more like fur and what some dinosaurs most likely had (possibly even the T.Rex itself).

I really can't tell you, but I can only speculate.

Deleted
    How would they taste?

Is KFC trying to be innovative again?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really want a dinosaur bird just go to New Guinea and you can experience the pain in the ass that are Cassowaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    How would they taste?
    Like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    1.) a mythical reptile with a lethal gaze or breath, hatched by a serpent from a cock's egg
    Well, be fair. We don't know what most of the genes in a given genome even do. God knows what the fuck we'll accidentally do to the first thousand chickens or so.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Like chicken.
    Leave it to dinochicken to end up tasting like pumpkin or some shit.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

I get the interest in modifying it to work out the principle and all that, but when it comes to actually building dinosaurs... why? There is not point in introducing predators that have long been extinct back into our eco system. Did Australia not teach people that already? Aren't the fucking invasions of Asian species that are downright plagues in some places not enough?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shogunit3 View Post

I spot a cockatrice.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I get the interest in modifying it to work out the principle and all that, but when it comes to actually building dinosaurs... why? There is not point in introducing predators that have long been extinct back into our eco system. Did Australia not teach people that already? Aren't the fucking invasions of Asian species that are downright plagues in some places not enough?

- - - Updated - - -

I spot a cockatrice.
    They wouldn't intentionally released into any ecosystems and they wouldn't be predators, more or less, they'd be ch icons that look likes dinosaurs...

Deleted
    the real question here is.... would the resulting dinosaur taste like chicken?

I mean, imagine that: a chicken drumstick so big you couldn't hold it with both hands *salviates*

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    They wouldn't intentionally released into any ecosystems and they wouldn't be predators, more or less, they'd be ch icons that look likes dinosaurs...
    Hence why I said actual dinosaurs. All it takes is someone to find the genes for tall, strong and fast metabolism coupled with a little fuck up and here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hence why I said actual dinosaurs. All it takes is someone to find the genes for tall, strong and fast metabolism coupled with a little fuck up and here we go.
    Oh that's large impossible, the scientist Jack Horner has tried collecting broken and small fragments of DNA (think a few hundred base pairs) from leg bones, but it's too fragile and breaks. Not the mention that DNA dies after a few million years, so expecting a complete or even partially complete genome is in the realm of fantasy. However, I don't think you could resurrect any extinct non-avian dinosaur species from today's birds.

Technically if you wanted to see a living breathing dinosaur, learn birdwatching...

Birds = Avian Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs = Non-Avian Dinosaurs

But I know that's not what people want, they want to recreate non-avian dinosaurs, which is kind of confusing. You'd have more luck genetically engineering a unicorn than dinosaurs. You have a better chance of cloning every species of mammoth, saber-tooth cat and ground sloth that has ever lived than to clone real dinosaurs.

Note: I'm not trying to be disrespectful and if I sound like I am, then I apologize
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2015-06-24 at 01:44 PM.

Just don't buy one for your girlfriend for Easter and not take care of it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Given that they managed to make a goat that produces spider silk I'm not so sure that actual non-avian dinosaurs are that far fetched. In the end it comes down to trial and error and how many failed chickens you are willing to dispose of (considering the amount we euthanize daily though..).