Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Were you left to sleep outside in the stroller as a baby?

I just found out that apparently its not normal for americans to leave babies in their strollers outside to sleep. Are there other countries that doesn't do it either? Is it really only Denmark that does this?
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Martinussen View Post
    I just found out that apparently its not normal for americans to leave babies in their strollers outside to sleep. Are there other countries that doesn't do it either? Is it really only Denmark that does this?
    Like, unattended? Yes, that sounds very strange.

Unattended may be a strong word. On private property they're usually left outside by a window or next to a door, and the parent will take a look every now and then. In puplic at something like a cafe they're left within view.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"

Yeah, too many wild animals over here, coyotes, black bear, raccoons, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah, too many wild animals over here, coyotes, black bear, raccoons, etc.
    that makes sense, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I was put in a 2 inch thick snowsuit and dropped in the deepest snowbank in the backyard and left to fend for myself and figure out how to get back inside before night fell and the temperature dropped even further.

Quebec is not a very warm place.

Uh...no, but I was hit in the head by a laundry hamper thrown off a deck in anger by my mother arguing with grandmother when I was a kid, probably explains why I am so butterfly pineapple.

Apparently we used to do this in the US too, but it was a long time ago...I think there is a notion that such behavior isn't safe for children due to the increased risk of child endangerment, but interestingly enough statistical data shows that most kidnapped children are actually kidnapped by family members or friends of family. So...*shrug*. There are lots of other risks associated with leaving children unattended, though.

7+ Year Old Account
    no my parents never left me out of sight as baby

Unattended may be a strong word. On private property they're usually left outside by a window or next to a door, and the parent will take a look every now and then. In puplic at something like a cafe they're left within view.
    That would almost certainly result in somebody calling child protection and the kid being taken away. They do go to far a few weeks ago a kid was taken from his family because he was home alone playing in the yard at the age of 11.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

No we have laws against child abuse in the US.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    No we have laws against child abuse in the US.
    No we don't, we let reality show use children still...

In the US it's something called unsubstantiated child neglect. When the kid inevitably gets dragged off by raccoons (well that's what would happen on my porch, those things are crazy), you get to drop the unsubstantiated part. Typically unsubstantiated child neglect goes unprosecuted, but there have been a few recent examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not normal to do that in Sweden either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a overprotective mother so I don't think I was ever left alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's usually hot as hell where I am in Australia so it's not a great idea to leave your kid baking in it.

It's not really a cultural thing either, so there's not really room to leave your kid out the front of a lot of establishments in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, everyone was/is. They do it in kindergartens here too. It's perfectly safe, it's fresh air, and babies seem to enjoy it - don't see why not.

^Assuming you live somewhere with a fairly private garden/backyard/porch.

Knowing my mother she would have murdered anybody that would force her to make us sleep in another room but her own until we left the cradle. I still remember her rage when they wanted to take my baby sister minutes after she was born to sleep with the other kids in the nursery. Nobody was gona leave that room alive with her lol.

Yeah, but my mom left her gun accessible in her purse for me to defend myself so it's cool.

Since there are a lot of bees and wasps around here I'd figure it's probably not exactly safe to let a baby outside unattended, even in an enclosed garden like mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Knowing my mother she would have murdered anybody that would force her to make us sleep in another room but her own until we left the cradle. I still remember her rage when they wanted to take my baby sister minutes after she was born to sleep with the other kids in the nursery. Nobody was gona leave that room alive with her lol.
    Your poor father..