Help me choose between disc priest and resto shaman for 6.2

(not an english native speaker, sorry for the mistakes )

Hi there,

First, context. We finished t17 with a fair (in my opinion and for the players we have) 2/10 MM. So we can all agree on the fact that we are definitely not a hardcore guild, and that's fine. Nevertheless, we are looking forward to be a little bit more competitive with the t18 release. I came back to wow 2 months ago, making a fresh new priest (always wanted one), letting my resto shaman benched (main for several years).

Our healer comp. is the following : 2 rdroods, 1 hpal, 2 discs, 1 monk (sometimes we 4 heal, sometimes we 5 heal)

Spending our time on mythic BRF, it appears (playing with 2 discs) that we were lacking some raid cooldowns when 4 healing. Wondering about it, we agreed I could take back my resto shaman to help the team and have another raid healer with strong CDs.

I really enjoy playing both, but the problem is now other, and here is where I need your opinion. We are now losing one of the drood, who wanna go back to tanking on his dk and he was supposed to switch to his disc priest, replacing me when switching to my shaman (he's a really good healer).

Problem is, there will only be 1 disc now and she is...really terrible. I mean, really (like 25k hps on mythic gruul as a disc when I was going holy when I could). I am really thorned between switching to shaman knowing that our disc is gonna be useless, and keeping my disc knowing we are lacking a raid healer. Not braging, I am good at what I do, so I think I'll shine on both, but I just don't know what to do...

As a disc, I know I'll be able to help a lot taking care of some fatal mechanics and mitigating damages, and as a resto shaman I know I'll be able to put some pretty high numbers out and really help on the raid healing part. But whichever I'll choose, we are going to lack something...

I thought about having both heal specs as a priest, and I found holy really nice and shining on some fights, but it feels really broken to me right now (seing t18 bonuses and archi's trinket..). So I don't really wanna take the holy spec back.

I really hope you'll be able to give me some feedback about it (and that you understood my point of view) and sorry for the wall of text.

Grettings

Oncle
    Last edited by Onclecham; 2015-06-24 at 01:13 PM.

Deleted
    In a way in depense on your goal in Hfc, if you want to go Mythic that other disc wont work out. So in my opinion you got 2 options. Learn her how to play and go shaman or replace her and stay disc. It might be harsh but if you want to get anywhere you have to be harsh.

Since the beginning of WoD, my guild has designed our healing team this way:

Disc Priest (for absorbs) -> Holy Paladin (for beacon heals) -> Throughput healers

The throughput healers can be anything (resto druids, holy priests, monk, or shaman). It doesn't matter if we use two of the same; we always have enough HPS cooldowns.

This set up is what I think you should aim for. You're nearly there. However, two Disc Priests is not ideal because you already have a Holy Paladin to cover tank heals, your PW:S can't be used on the same targets, and you're lacking in HPS cooldowns. My suggestion is that you either have the bad Disc Priests switch to Holy and you play Disc, or you replace her entirely since if she can't spam shields, she probably won't be able to spam renew either. The Disc healer is definitely the most important healer in the group though.

You could always try to help her improve. Whenever I see a priest who's not spamming shields on the raid, I ask them "What would you do if you were Holy?" They always answer "I would blanket the raid with renews" and I tell them "well do the same with shields." Sometimes, it's all it takes to awaken the raid healer in them. There are very few encounters where these instructions don't apply (Iron Maidens is one of them), but I have yet to run into any of those in HFC so far.

Thank you for your feedbacks!

We have spoken several times about how to heal as a Disc but it still wasn't that good, but I admit she is making tons of effort to reach the level we need.

We agreed yesterday that she would play as a holy (she has been trying for the past 2 weeks) and that I'll stick to disc. It functioned pretty well yesterday so I hope she'll get better and better at playing holy. And when I see what I could do with a holy priest when doing some mythic brf bosses, I think it can be a nice addition to the team.

Once again, thank you.