Question If so many people dislike this game, then what is keeping people to still play it?

All I have been hearing is negative feedback 24/7 from the community in this game. What's the point in continuing to play if you are just gonna hate on it? What is keeping these haters to keep on playing?

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're still hopeful that Blizzard gives a shit about their game.
    They're hoping the Feedback gets noticed and the game goes in a new and more favorable direction.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The vocal community is hardly the community at large. A lot of what you're seeing are circlejerk threads that produce little more than noise.

People were hating on the game when I quit back in MoP, but I still liked it. I just quit playing it because I didn't have any friends playing it and wanted to have more time to spend with my GF.

The fact of the matter is the same as always: Not everyone quits because they don't like the game and the majority of people playing the game are not active members of the forum community. In other words, there really aren't that many people who dislike the game. If there were, they wouldn't be playing/paying for it.

Hell, even the people complaining about the game tend to like it. I know I've heard plenty of guildies talking shit about aspects of the game... but they were still having tons of fun when we raided.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by beastdboy1 View Post
    All I have been hearing is negative feedback 24/7 from the community in this game. What's the point in continuing to play if you are just gonna hate on it? What is keeping these haters to keep on playing?
    Many people dislike the game. Many more still like the game. Some are hoping the problems will be fixed. Some actually like a lot of the changes.

As for what you see in community forums...you should know that people are a lot more likely to post negative feedback than they are to post positive feedback.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    The vocal community is hardly the community at large. A lot of what you're seeing are circlejerk threads that produce little more than noise.
    If you think the majority is happy with WoD...you are on crack...they lost more subs than ever in 1 FUCKING QUARTER, every single youtuber who talks about the game admits WoD is very poor indeed...

EVEN FUCKING ION HOZZIFUCKTARD SAID APEXIS WAS CRAP, THE IRRELEVANT DUNGEONS WERE CRAP, THE REPS WERE CRAP, AND SO ON

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Many people dislike the game. Many more still like the game. Some are hoping the problems will be fixed. Some actually like a lot of the changes.

As for what you see in community forums...you should know that people are a lot more likely to post negative feedback than they are to post positive feedback.
    This is true plus people don't post if they generally like what's there. People post about things that are out of the ordinary or get them worked up. Think about it, no one posts 'Wow, logged in today and had no issues', they post "Holy crap, there was a 1249 person queue and then when I logged in I got DCed!" because the latter is out of the ordinary and 'news'. Dog bites man, not news. Man bites dog, news.

Nostalgia.

I stopped playing about a month into BRF. Now I just lurk the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    If you think the majority is happy with WoD...you are on crack...they lost more subs than ever in 1 FUCKING QUARTER, every single youtuber who talks about the game admits WoD is very poor indeed...

EVEN FUCKING ION HOZZIFUCKTARD SAID APEXIS WAS CRAP, THE IRRELEVANT DUNGEONS WERE CRAP, THE REPS WERE CRAP, AND SO ON
    And yet...they still have the same kind of numbers they had just before the 6.0 launch. What they lost was equal to what they gained at the start of the expac. Net loss/gain = 0.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Because they are not haters. When you whine about something you are not a hater. You merely try to state an opinion. Most people just don't like the things in this expansion...doesn't mean they hate the game as a whole... Also negative feedback is better than no feedback. Start to worry when you see no feedback at all. It will be either exceptional content or the worst ever.
    Why they keep on playing? Because they had/have spend so many hours and money (?) to just quit... And to tell the things as they are,there are not many good MMO-RPGs around.And those that are good enough have entirely different playstyle (GW2) or P2W (NW/ArcheAge). Rumors say that a lot of people going for FF14 (?) or ESO...
    And in fact if you think that 3mil people left WoW in the 1st Q... It's not that they all continue.
    Also remember that sometimes the community (guilds/friends etc) that you spend time with them can hold you even if you don't like something...
    And i can name you even more "emotional" reasons. WoW is a 10yo game, if you play 10years (or 5) a game you can't leave that easy as it is a routine for you...or even worst, your own little personal space for relaxation. In genaral if you do something for years, call it a game or sport or whatever, it becomes more and more difficult for you to quit as it becomes more and more personal for you. Ex. I am a smoker for...13 years now...is it that easy for me to quit smoking as it was when i was 6 months or even 2 years into it? No. Call it addiction? maybe... still it all goes for pleasure and entertainment...same goes for the game.
    They won't quit until it's their last solution... and the more you are for PvE the less you are about to quit. I'm 100% PvP and 50% PvE (i raid when i like the lore or the specific raid only). Last changes made the game impossible for me...PvP balance doesn't exist, at least with classes specs i like. I just cut the sub, no whine no hard feelings, nothing...when i was whining, i didn't quit because i was whining to blow some steam or maybe because i thought some god or something will see the post and change things out...
    I hope you understand now :P .

In my case it was because of guildies that I've known since Vanilla or TBC, but now that all our raids have disbanded, thinking of quitting.
    Khadgar: "Well Zergy, are you armed?"

*Does a facepalm using [Blackhand's Severed Arm]*

Some people are bitching just to bitch. Some want to cause some sort of change to the game and don't know how to other then bitching. If you are online and see the same venom spewing idiots, then they are just unhappy sad people that need a pixel pulpit to stand on.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergy View Post
    In my case it was because of guildies that I've known since Vanilla or TBC, but now that all our raids have disbanded, thinking of quitting.
    I'm thinking of trying ESO... i play GW2 atm. My rl friends still play WoW and whine all the time, so i thought to quit whining and start to act...:P

People can dislike something while still engage in it. Also WoD isn't WoW. I like WoW, not too crazy about WoD.

Actually the circle jerkers tend to be the trolls who hang out and make it their business to create arguments with people expressing an opinion. They live for that shit, lol, and they congegate like a pack of hyenas.

They say the same things over and over no matter what the topic! "That's just your opinion." (Duh) "Cite source." (even when the post is referring to personal experience.) "The game is just old." (Yet people still want to play a good version of it and thus the complaining about THIS version.) On and on, this little bunch of repeatable mantras they use to discredit others.

The best part, though, is what they do when they can't find anyone to get after. They manufacture something. They either trot out a tired controversy (Get rid of lfr, no flying was better, WoD is the best ever) or necro an old controversial thread and try to get people worked up again.

THOSE are the circle-jerkers. It isn't about making the game better for them, it is just about arguing for arguments sake.

"So many people" are ~50,000 online who bitch and moan constantly.

7,000,000+ people play the game.

Most people like the game just fine. If you come to places like this it doesn't seem like it, but that's only because these venues attract exactly the sort of people who love to bitch and complain.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    WoW has a pretty interesting story. I consider it a single-player game in multi-player persistent world. But it's horrible MMORPG.

People don't dislike the game...that is ignorant and stupid...people are hurt over the state of the game and do everything they can to hopefully improve it..

And I am playing because I sent a ticket for a free month and got 2 weeks...thats enough to do the majority of 6.2 content.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chimpo View Post
    "So many people" are ~50,000 online who bitch and moan constantly.

7,000,000+ people play the game.

Most people like the game just fine. If you come to places like this it doesn't seem like it, but that's only because these venues attract exactly the sort of people who love to bitch and complain.
    While that's certainly possible, I think saying that most people like the game (or WoD) specifically based on the fact that they are still subscribed is just as unlikely.

Deleted
    Nostalgia, and that i still like battlegrounds.

I avoid any kind of PVE currently, as blizzard managed to destroy it for me.

But as we know blizzard i am sure they will manage to destroy battlegrounds and the ability to gear up with the best pvp gear playing them for the next expac.

I would like the reward system of pvp in pve. I am sure blizzard would like the reward system of pve in pvp.

I already thought MoP was the worst version of open world content with the mandatory dailies in 5.0, but they really managed to top that in WoD. I wonder if they will manage to even make it worse in the next expac.

A big fun for me is to find and point out blizzards hypocrisy in their current design paradigms. And its not really hard, as they only know cynicism and two edged implementations lately. Or is anyone really happy about the fact they replaced the bad daily quests from 5.0 with even worse grinds in 6.0? The cynicism here is that they, once again, used the complains to replace something bad by something even worse.

And i am sure they will continue that in the upcoming expac. I am already looking forward what will be their next "remove flying"-alike destructive design decision in 7.0. Probably they remove LFR (without any compensation in other content, that is)? Or they are going to add back attunements? Or they replace new questing content by "mythic questing"? Something time consuming they may argument with the same brain damaged arguments they argumented the removal of flying with.

Blizzard is always good to laugh about these days. While that isnt just funny, but also sad.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2015-06-25 at 11:28 PM.