Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Reggie Fils-Aime Says Kids Ages Five to Seven Don’t Use Mobile Devices...............

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/reggie-...s#.VYyMlflViko

Last generation, Nintendo was a dominant source of entertainment for children around the world, with DS selling over 150 million units worldwide. With the rise of mobile devices like smartphones and tablets, Nintendo's current handheld has not been as successful. Total 3DS sales are only at about half of what DS had sold at the same point in its life. Meanwhile, mobile sales have past up all combined dedicated console sales in Japan, and all handheld sales globally.

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime was asked about the rise of mobile devices (in particular, whether or not Nintendo could lose their 3DS exclusive Yokai Watch to mobile devices), but he didn't seem too concerned. According to Reggie, the younger market is not using mobile.

Here’s the reality: There’s not a lot of five to seven year-olds walking around with smartphones. Even in the tablet space, mom and dad might hand over their tablet for short periods of time. But with this game, much like with any battle-trade-share type of game, the kid consumer is going to spend a lot of hours. The benefit of doing that on a dedicated device is very strong. — Reggie Fils-Aime
    With a game like Yokai Watch, Nintendo hopes to attract kids in that five to seven year old group, hooking them on dedicated Nintendo hardware. Can they continue to attract younger audiences as smart devices continue to rise in popularity? Leave your thoughts in the comments!
    WHat......

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've ever heard this genius say something so stupid..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what's confusing. That sounds about right. Kids don't start using smartphones a huge amount until they're at least in Jr High.

Most parents I know won't even let their kids have a phone until then.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive seen kids younger than 5-7 using Ipads for games

They may not own the Ipad, but they certainly play games on them in many cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ive seen kids younger than 5-7 using Ipads for games

They may not own the Ipad, but they certainly play games on them in many cases.
    Okay? And? That's exactly what he said.
    They aren't exactly part of the market where they have little direct control. They don't 'have' the device. It's not something in their hands or pockets constantly, like game systems (DS, Vita... Or Smartphones)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    No he said they dont use mobile devices, they do use them, it may be a parents, or in many cases, their own.

Sales are up, and I personally see tons of kids having one, or be given an older one. He is making a very baseless claim.

- - - Updated - - -

He is basically saying that since kids dont own them (I dont know where this is from), that Nintendo does not need to adapt.

10+ Year Old Account
    No he said they dont use mobile devices, they do use them, it may be a parents, or in many cases, their own. .
    I can't tell if you didn't read the thing you linked, or.. what.

He is saying that they don't have control over the device, and can't spend hours playing, and take it with them. They can't go to a friends house and play a game with their friend on mom or dad's tablet. They can't spend all day at home doing that. They can with Nintendo devices (DS).

Yes, mom and dad can hand them it for a short while, but have much more control (i.e. the need to use it themselves) over it. That is not a market Reggie feels is important.

Yes, more kids have their own cellphone these days, but that number is still statistically, fiscally small. You can't make a market out of using someone else's property.

- - - Updated - - -

He is basically saying that since kids dont own them (I dont know where this is from), that Nintendo does not need to adapt.
    Think of it this way. Two situations.

"Mom, can we get this game for my DS?"

"Mom, can we get this game for your iPad?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I can't tell if you didn't read the thing you linked, or.. what.

He is saying that they don't have control over the device, and can't spend hours playing, and take it with them. They can't go to a friends house and play a game with their friend on mom or dad's tablet. They can't spend all day at home doing that. They can with Nintendo devices (DS).

Yes, mom and dad can hand them it for a short while, but have much more control (i.e. the need to use it themselves) over it. That is not a market Reggie feels is important.

Yes, more kids have their own cellphone these days, but that number is still statistically, fiscally small. You can't make a market out of using someone else's property.

- - - Updated - - -

Think of it this way. Two situations.

"Mom, can we get this game for my DS?"

"Mom, can we get this game for your iPad?"

Kids can get limited on their video games handheld or not. Obviously no child buys an Iphone, but many children including young children use them on a regular basis, as often as a child would use a hand held device. Especially if the parent buys a newer one and basically gives the kid the older one (happens often with tech)

also

Mom, can I get this $40 dollars game for my DS vs. Can I get this free/99 cent app?

Kids shouldn't be exposed to the horrific garbage that is called mobile gaming.

"There’s not a lot of five to seven year-olds walking around with smartphones."

This is true as far as my experience extends. My little brother doesn't have a phone and very few in his class has one. I don't see what's so controversial about this statement?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Kids shouldn't be exposed to the horrific garbage that is called mobile gaming.
    100% agree, but its happened.

Ive seen plenty of examples of kids playing on Ipads and Iphones, Reggie basing this statement on nothing just is continuing Nintendo's lack to adapt to the actual gaming industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Its the same logic in a way that Nintendo assumed with the Wii

they wanted to get people to continue buying Nintendo hardware by being addicted to the Wii and that blew up in their faces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids can get limited on their video games handheld or not.
    It's not about the limitation or buying power. It's a matter of the fact that their limited by it being someone else's device. You're MUCH less likely to use something when I want to use it, especially if it's something I use regularly. There's a difference between 'letting kids play games' and 'letting kids use YOUR device to play games'

EDIT: The market is to make something that kids can play all day every day whenever they want, with the only limiting factor being parents... parenting. Them saying "You have X amount of time to play this today". With smartphones, its "You have X amount of time to play this today, if I have time to even let you have it because I'm using it, or just don't want your mitts on my $1200 ipad"

Mom, can I get this $40 dollars game for my DS vs. Can I get this free/99 cent app?
    The money isn't really the issue. In fact, you could argue that the app is more dangerous, because A) Parents have proven that IAP's are the devil, which has created a sort of tech stigma. That's... sort of their own fault. and B) It's harder to keep track of how many of those little purchases people make. A lot of people forget that 100 tiny things is more than one big thing.

That, and a $40 purchase for a DS game is a DS game. A free/99 cent app could be anything, which requires another step of parental intervention to make sure its A) Safe, B) Not shady software, and C) Not some scammy game that doesn't work. You know what you're getting with a DS game without even looking at it.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-06-25 at 11:48 PM.

What's the problem Greymane? It's a true statement. I've never once seen, nor heard, of a child 7 years or younger use a mobile phone. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen; but that in of itself says something.

Also, have you considered that the guy your bashing right now is one of the most well informed business men in the industry? He knows what he's talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there isnt parental intervention to purchase a DS game? You need to take the kid, drive to the store, hope its there (it is) and purchase it at a company that (like target, walmart, etc) have had credit card numbers hacked into over the years and spend 39 or 40 dollars more + tax for a game your kid may not even like and never play again.

The parent can easily say yes or no to the app and the Ds game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Eternal View Post
    What's the problem Greymane? It's a true statement. I've never once seen, nor heard, of a child 7 years or younger use a mobile phone. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen; but that in of itself says something.

Also, have you considered that the guy your bashing right now is one of the most well informed business men in the industry? He knows what he's talking about.
    How can he get the numbers though? Is there an apple store directory for the children who bought devices? Children dont even buy gameboys.... its the parents, and how does he know what the devices are used for, would he look at app downloads to see whats being downloaded? If so, he would see tons of kiddie games downloaded.

I see tons of kids with Iphones all the time, so I am surprised people dont see it.

How can he get the numbers though?
    Market research/analyst firms. Dealing directly with Apple/Google to get user data (not sure how much each officially or unofficially released). Talking with partners who have access to data on their end (such as DeNa) that they can share.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Market research/analyst firms. Dealing directly with Apple/Google to get user data (not sure how much each officially or unofficially released). Talking with partners who have access to data on their end (such as DeNa) that they can share.
    But even then, they would see how many parents download children focused games. Tons of these exist my sister who is a school teacher has several for her children and they play them a ton.

but what about the children that use mobile devices....
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there isnt parental intervention to purchase a DS game?
    There is, just less. There is a lot more 'parenting' needed when it comes to some random app game. A bad parent will just go "Sure whatever" and buy an app without thinking twice. Most parents with enough money to buy things like games are a bit more diligent than that.

How can he get the numbers though? Is there an apple store directory for the children who bought devices? Children dont even buy gameboys.... its the parents, and how does he know what the devices are used for, would he look at app downloads to see whats being downloaded? If so, he would see tons of kiddie games downloaded.
    It's called being a professional in a professional field. Market research in a multibillion dollar company.

And there isnt parental intervention to purchase a DS game? You need to take the kid, drive to the store, hope its there (it is) and purchase it at a company that (like target, walmart, etc) have had credit card numbers hacked into over the years and spend 39 or 40 dollars more + tax for a game your kid may not even like and never play again.

The parent can easily say yes or no to the app and the Ds game.

- - - Updated - - -

I see tons of kids with Iphones all the time, so I am surprised people dont see it.
    He has economists who can figure these things out, as with every other major commercial company, such as Apple and Microsoft. It called smart economics.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    100% agree, but its happened.
    Children in that age bracket have probably gone diving with sharks too, that doesn't mean that it's a common enough occurrence to make it a focal point of one's business.

And your point about 99 cent apps vs $40 games isn't taking into account the cost of the device. Do you know how much a decent iPad or Smartphone costs? Even if you get one on a contract with your mobile provider you get horribly horribly boned. Also have you seen how game ports are priced on mobile? Some of the ancient Final Fantasy games on the iTunes store are like $15.

I've seen a couple of young kids playing with those tablets designed specifically for children, and even then it was a bad experience for the children because those things are unwieldy as fuck.

If I was nintendo I wouldn't focus on mobile gaming for young children either. If they want to port Pokemon to mobile or something that's fine, but you know who is going to be playing it? Not kids in that age bracket. I'd wager a huge chunk of their sales would be older players like me that want to play Pokemon without carrying around a DS or screwing with an emulator.