Need some help, having a bit of trouble.

Morning all,

So as the title says, i'm having a bit of trouble! Basically since 6.2 i've been raiding HFC and my guild are currently 9/13 so far.

So i was delighted that i could play affliction again as i absolutely love the play style, but with there being quite a few cleave heavy fights, from what i've read it seems destro is the way to go, i gave it a shot and i'm absolutely horrible at it, i do worse damage cleaving than i do when i play affliction (weird i know) maybe its because i suck at the way its supposed to be played, from my understanding, keep immolate up, conflag x3 incinerate and when ember capped dump it all into chaos bolts? Use F&B when there is adds, seems very lackluster to me.

The main thing i want to know is, is it viable for me to just stay with affliction?

Also, what are your guys views on demonbolt demonology atm? Considering giving it a shot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxeum View Post
    Morning all,

So as the title says, i'm having a bit of trouble! Basically since 6.2 i've been raiding HFC and my guild are currently 9/13 so far.

So i was delighted that i could play affliction again as i absolutely love the play style, but with there being quite a few cleave heavy fights, from what i've read it seems destro is the way to go, i gave it a shot and i'm absolutely horrible at it, i do worse damage cleaving than i do when i play affliction (weird i know) maybe its because i suck at the way its supposed to be played, from my understanding, keep immolate up, conflag x3 incinerate and when ember capped dump it all into chaos bolts? Use F&B when there is adds, seems very lackluster to me.

The main thing i want to know is, is it viable for me to just stay with affliction?

Also, what are your guys views on demonbolt demonology atm? Considering giving it a shot.
    I've no idea if you've just worded that really poorly or if you mean what you've said, but you don't just build to cap and then dump. Embers are used the same way SS's are as affliction.

Spend them during procs, not without procs.
    Vent some to avoid capping.
    Spend them sensibly, don't burn 3 on a weapon proc when you have a DS charge / expect trinket procs / have an important burn phase coming. Ration appropriately.

Affliction should be perfectly viable on most fights though, it depends on what your raid needs. If you're dying to Kormog hands for example, staying affliction is kicking your guild in the nuts since affliction's pretty lackluster at AOE, but if your guild is fine with you just dishing out single target then whatever.

Haven't tried DB myself, but I've heard some promising things from decent posters like Gaidax, so it's presumably not attrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    I've no idea if you've just worded that really poorly or if you mean what you've said, but you don't just build to cap and then dump. Embers are used the same way SS's are as affliction.

Spend them during procs, not without procs.
    Vent some to avoid capping.
    Spend them sensibly, don't burn 3 on a weapon proc when you have a DS charge / expect trinket procs / have an important burn phase coming. Ration appropriately.

Affliction should be perfectly viable on most fights though, it depends on what your raid needs. If you're dying to Kormog hands for example, staying affliction is kicking your guild in the nuts since affliction's pretty lackluster at AOE, but if your guild is fine with you just dishing out single target then whatever.

Haven't tried DB myself, but I've heard some promising things from decent posters like Gaidax, so it's presumably not attrocious.
    I've only been back playing WoW for a month now after quitting in 2011, in this time the first time i used destro was yesterday, so in terms of ember management and when to and when no to use chaosbolt i'm a bit unclear, only going off what i've been told.

I'm going to stick with affliction for all the fights as of now, i just feel more comfortable on it as i raided with it in WoTLK. Like you said about the lack of AoE and what not, i'll go over it with my guild.

I'm going to give DB a try out later i think.

Deleted
    It's obviously more viable for you to play affliction well than to play destruction badly

Although it's really the go-to spec, if you're going to do better without using destruction, go for it

9/13 says your guild is doing okay surely

Deleted
    We have the same problem with a warlock in my guild. They can only play affliction.

The thing is, there are not that many fights that affliction is best on only really the pure single target ones or the council

Like other posters have said, treat embers like soulshards save them for trinket procs or if you're about to cap. The most important thing is havoc, you have to be using it on cooldown to either copy a chaos bolt or 3 x shadow burn.

If you can play affliction, there is no reason you can't play destruction - you're not really helping your guild if you cannot play the best spec for the fight. Just learn it.

forgot i posted this as i've been really busy, i took into account what everyone said and i've been learning it.

I've been using chaos bolt during procs and it's alot more valuable that way, i've also been practicing how to spend embers during Fire and Brimstone and it's going good. I still need to get better at my havoc management but that will come with practice, i made a mouseover macro for it and that seems to be helping.

I think the main reason i was finding it awkward was that i hadn't played destruction in years and had no knowledge of how it works now, i've been reading up on it and feel pretty confident that i can use it to high level.

I'm looking forward to the 4PC and Class trinket as that's going to make single target pretty insane.

One thing myself and our other warlock were discussing was the use of the darksoul glyph, i know it's not used frequently but what about with destruction? I know the duration is shortened to 10 seconds but you can use it more often, enabling you to dump embers into chaos bolt more frequently, what do you guys think?

Appreciate all the feedback guys and if theres any other information that might be useful i'm welcome to it.

I'm having a hangover coming from full time demo in BRF (no suprise there) to destruction. Many of the fights with lots of adds + Charred remains feels like the spec is on steroids. I feel like i'm trying way harder than demo but still get shat on by hunters and the like. Feels like you need to be perfect if you don't want to fall behind. Interesting to see how this will change with the class trinkets.

FnB + Havoc + proc management really is the key. Little things you do or mess up really affect the overall result in the long run. Wish you luck in your destruction ways..