Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Not in residential buildings.
    If I'm to believe my american friends, when compared to the states, AC is not much of a thing at all over here .
    Of course, 30c is a 'nice day' here in the summer, not to mention how bad it gets further south.

And yes, everyone telling you to do anything to not make it more Humid is right. Heat is fine, but when you team it with humidity, it is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Create a through-draught:

Open your window and your bedroom door, plus the window and door to the room opposite yours. The air will pass through, creating a cool breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Create a through-draught:

Open your window and your bedroom door, plus the window and door to the room opposite yours. The air will pass through, creating a cool breeze.
    This. Plus get some fans to circulate the air. I live up in the Pacific Northwest (WA), and I don't even have AC in my house. It gets warm up here, too. But I keep it cool by opening all my windows during the day, and keeping my fans going :P It could be 80 degrees inside, but it'll feel pleasant.

I'm used to no AC though. I have terrible luck with it. When my husband was stationed in FL, the AC unit in our apartment was constantly freezing over, and the staff could only temporarily fix it. So more times then not... I was without AC in 100 degree weather, with horrid humidity. Box fans in windows go a long way. At least when we lived in TX, it was drier.

Fans in the windows, that's what I've been doing in North eastern US.

If possible, shade the area outside the room. If your room has exterior walls, providing shade to the outside area around the perimeter will help quite a bit. It cools the air around the room and also prevents the walls from absorbing radiant heat.

Well, god bless I don't have to worry about that. Old buildings with thick walls have their advantages.

lots of really high speed fans and very little amount of body fat

10+ Year Old Account
    1...... no...A/C is not a thing in Europe......
    2...... no.... due to
    - significant different architecture window ac is not an option
    - the condense water dripping wouldn't be very welcomed either..

all in all, forget your American way of approach.... it won't help.
    almost...
    because, there are indoor room ac's and they work just fine for that matter.
    like this:
    http://www.chdist.com/product/global...spx?var=563500

you might want one with more power though.. 10k btu
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason I think the OP is asking due to something like a pet/pets he/she has to keep at a certain temp, as they are specifically asking about how to keep the room cool, not himself/herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    For some reason I think the OP is asking due to something like a pet/pets he/she has to keep at a certain temp, as they are specifically asking about how to keep the room cool, not himself/herself.
    that's what the portable ac handles just fine then

10+ Year Old Account
    bucket of ice or 2 could help

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    bucket of ice or 2 could help
    cut a hole in the fridge and stick your head through it....
    makes a cool head, and a very sophisticated modern hat too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Is central ac not a thing in Europe?
    They don't exist here, except in shopping-malls.

How close can you get the AC to your room? Can you use fans to direct the cool air toward it?

Fans in general are probably your best bet. Whether placed in the windows to pull air through the house, redirect a more distant AC, or just push air around.

Humidity is your enemy in hot weather.

If this is for something more than your personal comfort, it'd probably help to know.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Deleted
    Make yourself a Styrofoam suit.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    You really haven't experienced heat and humidity have you? The worst thing is adding moisture to hot air. If it were me I'd bite the bullet and buy a window unit AC.
    Unless it's really dry where you live. Swamp coolers are amazing in really dry climates like the desert I live in.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Is central ac not a thing in Europe?
    definitely not in Belgium where 30°C is the national record of the last century but they are pretty common here (Northern Italy).

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Fuck fans, seriously.
    Sounds painful.

30c isn't really that warm, I'd suggest a fan and plenty of nice cold water.

If you have furry pets make sure they get lots of water as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Sounds painful.

30c isn't really that warm, I'd suggest a fan and plenty of nice cold water.

If you have furry pets make sure they get lots of water as well.
    Put a bucket of ice in front or behind the fan.

Or, as noted, get a stand-alone A/C unit.

And for me personally, sleep naked without blankets and run cold water over my wrists whenever I'm in the bathroom. I haven't turned on my central A/C for years.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Have to agree with previous posters. Even with tropical humidity 30°C is definitely hot but not unbearable. So if it's just something you're not used to, don't worry about it too much. Drink plenty of water and have some deodorant handy.

Anyway if you really want to make your own cheap air conditioner you just need a fan and something frozen.

First hit on Youtube and it seems pretty good:

You can use a polystyrene box if you don't have a cooler available (pick them up as waste from fruit and vegetable shops). If you have sealed frozen meat and vegetables stick them in your cooler/box in the afternoon to thaw and lower your room temperature