The Other Supreme Court Ruling (Texas v. ICP)

I'm glad that gay people finally have the right to marry in the United States, but there was another Supreme Court ruling as well, Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, Inc. I am rather concerned about this second ruling, especially since it could directly impact my community.

The TL;DR is basically that the Supreme Court is ruled that any limitations placed on Section 8 housing would be unconstitutional, even if they have nothing to do with discrimination. In theory providing extremely poor urban people with free/low-cost housing in nice, middle class neighborhoods is noble. Unfortunately what often happens is that the people granted homes aren't properly vetted and they bring with them the same culture and mentality that lead to the collapse of their original neighborhoods.

To quote the Washington post:
    In the 5-4 decision written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court ruled that the 1968 Fair Housing Act prevents more than just intentional discrimination in the housing market. The court said the law can also prohibit seemingly race-neutral policies that have the effect of disproportionately harming minorities and other protected groups, even if there is no overt evidence of bias behind them.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ousing-market/
    From my understanding, this new system effectively makes it impossible to improve the vetting system, because "muh discrimination." And if the program is having a detrimental effect on the upstanding suburban community? Well now it is impossible to eliminate the program, as it would be "discriminatory," so it will only lead to the decay of good communities.

Here is the full Supreme Court case document. What do you guys think about this decision? Are my concerns that this could have a negative impact on upstanding middle class communities at all warranted? Is this political correctness gone mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I'm glad that gay people finally have the right to marry in the United States, but there was another Supreme Court ruling as well, Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, Inc. I am rather concerned about this second ruling, especially since it could directly impact my community.

The TL;DR is basically that the Supreme Court is ruled that any limitations placed on Section 8 housing would be unconstitutional, even if they have nothing to do with discrimination. In theory providing extremely poor urban people with free/low-cost housing in nice, middle class neighborhoods is noble. Unfortunately what often happens is that the people granted homes aren't properly vetted and they bring with them the same culture and mentality that lead to the collapse of their original neighborhoods.

From my understanding, this new system effectively makes it impossible to improve the vetting system, because "muh discrimination." And if the program is having a detrimental effect on the upstanding suburban community? Well now it is impossible to eliminate the program, as it would be "discriminatory," so it will only lead to the decay of good communities.

Here is the full Supreme Court case document. What do you guys think about this decision? Are my concerns that this could have a negative impact on upstanding middle class communities at all warranted? Is this political correctness gone mad?

I thought it was going to be something against the "insane clown posse"

I have a deep hatred for juggalos, so...that would be cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

I'm with you. Man what a bunch of shitheads.

It's happened before and it will happen again: modern day white-flight (even though nowadays they don't have to be white) to areas where housing is more selective.
    Call me Cassandra

Were there specific policies you supported that were found unconstitutional?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

and so sad this isn't about Insane Clown Posse. You brightened my evening and crushed it all in the same post. I wanted to read a Scalia opinion based on a case dealing with the Insane Clown Posse in anyway.

I think we can all agree we're disappointed this isn't anything to do with the Insane Clown Posse
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

lol that's what I was hoping for too. Thought "finally, justice!"
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Were there specific policies you supported that were found unconstitutional?
    Yeah, I second this. I'm not seeing the bad. Could you be more specific?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Only reason I came in here. lol
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Yea, I know there are things that are probably way more stupid than ICP, but not by much.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I don't see anything really concerning. Nothing about more thorough anti-discrimination policy prevents people from being removed for being terrible tenants, or having legal action levied if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I'm with you. Man what a bunch of shitheads.
    ICP is actually pretty involved in charity work and the like. I was surprised when I found out. Every thorn's attached to a rose, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    It's happened before and it will happen again: modern day white-flight (even though nowadays they don't have to be white) to areas where housing is more selective.
    I go without, work and save hoping to one day move to an area where I don't have neighbors that steal anything not welded down, dont beat on doors asking money, and do not pitch trash over the fence.

Tread should be closed for being terribly misleading

/jest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    That is a level of victim blaming even morons in the US can't reach...
    MMO-C moderation, just a peg above Fox News

10+ Year Old Account
    welcome back NAKURA CHAMBERS. we missed you.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

lol I thought ICP as well, while I don't hate juggalos, I have to question anyone that'd dress up like a clown on purpose on days other than Oct31
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post

First off not all Section 8 users are bad I am living proof of this. Too make a claim that most or all of something is bad provide data to back it up. Hell most landlords who use Section 8 are more shit because they do the bare min to keep house's up to code.

Second: Any ruling that stops discrimination besides forcing a store owner to sell to someone they don't like is a good thing. The store owner has the right to refuse service to whoever they see fit. Section 8 does not have this right since its a goverment program.

Third: If you want to bitch about your "Community" changing then bitch at the landlords in your area that provide Section 8 housing not those who use it.

Your arguement holds no weight....
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-06-28 at 04:40 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

What the Supreme court has allowed is statistics raw numbers be used to show discrimination with out any context any reasoning behind those numbers

As justice Tomas argued that ruling can be used against organizations like the NBA to show they are a discriminatory organization because of the raw numbers showing that they have a disproportionate amount of blacks compared to population size
    it was another very poor activist ruling

Yeah. I'm quite disappointed.