Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Yep, average work week is no longer 40 hours now around 47 hours. Not too bad getting an extra 7 hours at 1.5x pay though.

Overall, people have plenty of time, they just waste it. You figure a 9 hour work day, 8 hours sleep a day, and 1 hour commute, which is the national average, leaves you 6 hours a day to do whatever you want. Factor in maybe an hour to get ready and prep for bed each day, that still leaves you 5 hours a day + weekends worth of time to do whatever needs to get done as well as free time to do what you want.
    It really depends on the type of job, physical jobs can wear you out, so by the time you get home, you're too tired to not waste the free time. Not to mention the fact that shift work sucks up even more time. I work second shift from 3:30pm to 12:30am. It's hard to get motivated to do anything other than house chores (because those are a must) with those hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I'm forced to work six days a week eight hours per day. I hate it. I don't feel like I have enough free time, and there is almost no point in having money if I can't do anything to enjoy it. I never feel like going anywhere on Sunday because it's my only day off. Sometimes my girlfriend gets antsy and I spend all day out of the house, then I'm extremely burned out the entire next week because I didn't feel like I got a day off at all. Being introverted sucks sometimes. I'm not against working a lot of hours, but I just want two days off a week. :/

You work a lot more than I do, so I can say with utmost certainty that there is nothing wrong with you at all. Most people refuse to even work more than 40 hours a week.
    Fuck, I refuse to work 40. My ideal life is to make 40k working 20 hours a week. I'll be happy with that. And I'm on the road to do that, if only I can get a QA job with my neuroscience degree...

40hours a week is max. They can keep the extra money... Family, life, hobby, sport>>>that extra money. When you are 60, you realize, you let the world fly past you while you were in a pit.

Deleted
    Working 200+ hours/month. 216 this month...and the pay sucks monkey balls...

Quote Originally Posted by Ycarene View Post
    I've been working pretty hard the last few months, usually 8 to 13 days in a row, a day off and then another 8 to 13 days, ad infinitum. (Alternating 10 and 12 hour days) I don't really like working that much, but it's what they schedule me and when I get time off I feel like a slacker. I don't know if that's normal or not.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Worst part is that your superiors get used to it and expect nothing less. I always try to help my manager and her assistants, did overtime on week ends many times, coming in on holidays and whatnot when our part-time student employees were flaking (as usual).

Then last week was June 24th, an off-day here in Quebec (equivalent of July 4th for you guys i think). Obviously my boss needed me as 4 of our part-time employees were on vacation (go figure). They were going to pay me double time, money is not the issue, but i was completly burnt out, these past two months have been particularly brutal. I work in a restaurant, summer time is always rough, so i said i couldn't.

She started complaining how i'm putting her in trouble etc. etc. Note that i didn't bail on her, i told her in advance i couldn't make it, i needed that one off-day, specially since i had done 2-3 50+ hours weeks beforehand).

Sad part is that i can't afford to care anymore, feels like i've given all i could.

If you're working that much, and dun get paid for OT, cuz you surely have OT, you should tell them to piss off, and go find a better job. On the other hand, if do get paid for OT, then suck it up for the time being, that's some nice money.

Quote Originally Posted by Malta View Post
    My boss sits 4 feet in front of me and spends half the day on Facebook, the other half watching youtube, and about 5 minutes checking emails and using Filemaker. I feel for him, I really do. Then again, I work in the Entertainment industry making television shows, so it's fairly well established that the more you get paid, the fewer skills are needed, and the less work you do.
    That doesn't really count as a boss I think haha.

My duties:

1. Employee Morale
    2. Employee performance
    3. Company Event management
    4. Budget management
    5. Employee evaluation / raises / writeups / seperations from the company
    6. Handling inter-employee disputes
    7. Being the HR intermediary
    8. Interviewing new employees
    9. Coordinating with other sites in different states / different countries
    10. Time card management

just to list the a few things off the top of my head and no particular order lol. That's not to say I don't spend some time browsing the internet any given day but that's to keep myself from murdering everyone in my immediate vicinity
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ycarene View Post
    I've been working pretty hard the last few months, usually 8 to 13 days in a row, a day off and then another 8 to 13 days, ad infinitum. (Alternating 10 and 12 hour days) I don't really like working that much, but it's what they schedule me and when I get time off I feel like a slacker. I don't know if that's normal or not.
    I'm not sure what country you live in but here in UK the labour right expects you to have adleast 1 day off each week. You're a human being, not a machine.

Idk, this may just be me...but I enjoy working a lot. Gives me something to do since I don't like to just sit around watching tv and stuff. But I also wanna have a decent amount of money set up for life come time when me and my wife have kids. I want them to have an easier and better life than I did growing up. And they aren't going to get that by me complaining about working barely over 40hrs a week, anything over 80 is a bit much. But 40-60 or so isn't bad to me at least. I did it for 6 months straight and yeah I got burnt out of that one job a bit but I made enough money to fix up my truck and provide for myself mostly while in college.

Biggest problem I have with long hours it some things have to be done during set periods, hard to get my work truck serviced, or make it to certain stores.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I'm not sure what country you live in but here in UK the labour right expects you to have adleast 1 day off each week. You're a human being, not a machine.
    I live and work in Iowa which is a "right to work" state, the only labor laws they really have is a half hour meal break for every 8 hours OT over 40 and the minimum wage. I'm being paid about twice that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally man, you're working too much, especially for industrial work.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    40hours a week is max. They can keep the extra money... Family, life, hobby, sport>>>that extra money. When you are 60, you realize, you let the world fly past you while you were in a pit.
    THIS ! When I was young, my dad worked alllll the time, we never needed to borrow money for anything, were in really greeat holiday clubs, I had nearly everything I wanted (a brand new car for my driving license), but he was never there. A few years ago, we were taking my daughter to school, suddenly (darn, I'd nearly cry thinking about this again) he stopped and told me " I realize I've missed so many things, I was always at work, work meant everything to me, but I was never home. "

Two things about those working 50+ a week and not getting paid :
    - About the fact to be paid 40 hours a week and do 55 ... I've never been so happy than when they set time-cards years ago in my company. I think it should be the same in every company to use this to account the time employees really spend at work, and put legal limits. Don't you have a state work inspection service or something like that ?
    - It happens to me (big servers crashes implying company production to be really slowed down) to have huge weeks, but it remains exceptional. Still, there's something that's evident, and my wife thinks the same with her job (nurse) : when you work for a long time, I mean real work, from the 10th hour, the risk of mistake, being lost in what you're doing, or even confused, is very important. You're not really productive anymore, and can be really counter productive (doing something wrong). If it's the same every week, why don't they hire a second person to have some full-time fresh employees to do some good work ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    THIS ! When I was young, my dad worked alllll the time, we never needed to borrow money for anything, were in really greeat holiday clubs, I had nearly everything I wanted (a brand new car for my driving license), but he was never there. A few years ago, we were taking my daughter to school, suddenly (darn, I'd nearly cry thinking about this again) he stopped and told me " I realize I've missed so many things, I was always at work, work meant everything to me, but I was never home. "

Two things about those working 50+ a week and not getting paid :
    - About the fact to be paid 40 hours a week and do 55 ... I've never been so happy than when they set time-cards years ago in my company. I think it should be the same in every company to use this to account the time employees really spend at work, and put legal limits. Don't you have a state work inspection service or something like that ?
    - It happens to me (big servers crashes implying company production to be really slowed down) to have huge weeks, but it remains exceptional. Still, there's something that's evident, and my wife thinks the same with her job (nurse) : when you work for a long time, I mean real work, from the 10th hour, the risk of mistake, being lost in what you're doing, or even confused, is very important. You're not really productive anymore, and can be really counter productive (doing something wrong). If it's the same every week, why don't they hire a second person to have some full-time fresh employees to do some good work ?
    A combination of a severe labor shortage in the area and applicants failing the drug test/physical.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Now repeat after me guys, 'work-life balance is important to me.'
    Yep and hence a problem with many MMO gamers. I believe Blizzard has a load screen hint on moderation and balanced lives.