Deleted

i3 vs i5 for WOW

Hello, im currently in progress of building a new pc. I was thinking something alone the lines of i3 4160 + gtx 960, but i have heard that WOW is quite CPU intensive. So i am wondering, is i3 enough for WOW or should i spend a bit more for i5?

No difference between the two in current game unless you want to stream or record video. 2 cores+HT is enough for WoW, what it needs is IPC.

Main advantage of i5's is the overclockable K model if you aren't interested in streaming.

In my opinion buying an i3 and not an i5 is really a waste.
    Doesn't matter if there will be no differences in WoW, the price is not that much higher and it's much better overall...
    Although I might be wrong, that's just how I understood from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebayo View Post
    In my opinion buying an i3 and not an i5 is really a waste.
    Doesn't matter if there will be no differences in WoW, the price is not that much higher and it's much better overall...
    $100-150 is pretty big price difference for those looking for optimal value for money WoW setup. With i3 you can save on motherboard too, not just the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    $100-150 is pretty big price difference for those looking for optimal value for money WoW setup. With i3 you can save on motherboard too, not just the CPU.
    What he said.

you can score a fast i3 (3.6-3.8Ghz) for 100-120$, a decent i5 is more like 180-220. And you can step down to an H97 or even H87 (some places still have them in stock and on sale) saving even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    What he said.

you can score a fast i3 (3.6-3.8Ghz) for 100-120$, a decent i5 is more like 180-220. And you can step down to an H97 or even H87 (some places still have them in stock and on sale) saving even more money.
    Though 4160 ain't particulaly fast. It's fast enough for WoW I do agree, but for a 80-100 Dollar savings, you should probably look at AMD(FX6300 etc).. If you aren't bothered by bigger power consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Though 4160 ain't particulaly fast. It's fast enough for WoW I do agree, but for a 80-100 Dollar savings, you should probably look at AMD(FX6300 etc).. If you aren't bothered by bigger power consumption.
    Why would you do something that would result in even lower performance in WoW and in general?

There's no real performance difference between an i3 and i5 in heavily single-threaded applications at the same clock speeds. The i3 4170 is available for around 100$ and is clocked at 3.7Ghz - plenty fast for gaming. It will handily outperform anything AMD offers in the same price range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Sorry, but having owned both an FX and a Core CPU, I have to say that, for WOW at least, go Intel for the best performance and upgradeability. Alternatively, wait for the lower-end Broadwell CPUs to come out next month.

Deleted
    Thank you all for replies! I will go with the i3 then.