Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because without legendaries in their current form, people would not be participating in half of the stupid stuff they've been putting out these days. They don't even have to make content interesting if they just say 'Hey, well let's make them gather 100 of X for the quest even though it's not fun at all on its own."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Since you talk about the past...... never ever was there more effort necessary to obtain the end product... the item.
    In the past, for all it needed was the luck to have the item drop. And then the luck to be in good graces with the guild/raid leaders.
    Today you have to work to get the item, and you will have it in the end. It takes hours on end, spread out over the entirety of an expansion. And no matter the difficulty of the raids, the primary requirement is long term dedication. That is by far more worth than items that simply drop, or require very little extra steps.
    If anything then it's the old model that could be labeled welfare legendary.. But not the current model since MoP.
    The legendaries now are the EQ2's epic Signature quest line (one large epic gear quest line that lasts the entire expansion).

It's a RPG/lore hound's dream quest line, too. Rich in story and purpose.

EQ2 also has the Heritage Quest, specifically for Lore hounds, that reward an epic past lore loot item.

Only thing missing is the Heritage quest lines and the Lore and Legends for the special attack against specific creatures.

!! AWESOME !!
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by hollafame View Post
    Because without legendaries in their current form, people would not be participating in half of the stupid stuff they've been putting out these days. They don't even have to make content interesting if they just say 'Hey, well let's make them gather 100 of X for the quest even though it's not fun at all on its own."
    if you dont think raiding is fun or interesting why would you care about the ring?

also im pretty sure the majority of players do like raiding so youre in the minority here.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    if you dont think raiding is fun or interesting why would you care about the ring?

also im pretty sure the majority of players do like raiding so youre in the minority here.
    Uhm, what? My complaint is that the loopholes they give, having to get the legendary items, don't have to be fun or engaging for them to produce the content. In which to say, I'm not referring to the ones in raid, but those outside such as garrisons or shipyards.

Old system was shit, we had Dragonwrath quest done for our guild leader, just because he was a guild leader, not even RL and not because he really needed it. Back in WotLK we had few Shadowmournes done, and every single DK quit the game or sold their accounts right after acquiring it. They just won the game and there was nothing else to do. And it was extremely common.

Uhm, what? My complaint is that the loopholes they give, having to get the legendary items, don't have to be fun or engaging for them to produce the content. In which to say, I'm not referring to the ones in raid, but those outside such as garrisons or shipyards.
    the purpose of garrisons and shipyards werent to get you a legendary item. thats just a byproduct of their use.

if you have a problem with them developing content, i.e. giving objects use, then maybe you should stop being a stick in the mud

What do garrisons and shipyards have to do with the legendary ring?
    At most they give one a chance at a few bonus pieces a week to speed up getting the ring.
    The vast majority of the items needed for the ring comes from raids or side quests along the way one gets.
    How did this become a garrison rip thread in your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    Well before luck was any factor you actually needed to kill the bosses.
    No LFR, no facebook game features to get your loot for you, you had to personally be there and clear the most challenging content of that time in order to have a chance of getting the item.
    Of course you needed to be on the good side of your guild's officers, but it also meant that you needed to be good at the game (no point giving it to the unreliable person). The only skill needed in order to get a legendary item nowadays is avoiding getting kicked from LFR for being AFK.
    Or, you paid enough gold to a guild who had those instances on farm, and they would do all the job for you.

Work how? Queue to LFR once a week?
    You can do it on Normal, Heroic and Mythic. If you are a raider, you would do bosses on these difficulties anyway, and waiting for LFR to open only makes you stay behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    I get the idea that some people aren't fans of everyone having Legendaries, because it makes those who have it feel like it is less of an accomplishment if everyone has one, but this is a failure to see the bigger picture. 40 man Naxx, the Sunwell, and the end fights of a lot of the raids in pre wrath was mostly exclusive content, and that's a lot of effort to cater to a small fragment of the community. This is a lot the reason why attunements and shit were removed, and catch up mechanics were added.
    They divide the community into the haves and have nots. WoW's community is not mature enough to withstand that, either.

For a raid heavy game about teamwork, this game also is one of the most selfish, too.

When I was playing EQ2, when I did my first raid at level 42 -- the server showed up to help me. They even waited the 2hrs for the dragon I had to smite for the mythic weapon quest (you started your weapon's quest at the 40 level). These were maxed out raiders in their epics.

That's a COMMUNITY.

They weren't any less ambitious, but understood that sticking together isn't only more fun, it builds better communities. And yeah, seeing your class leader in all that gear that took forever to farm .. even felt epic just being there, too.

WoW? They'd piss on you then use your body to climb ahead, instead (this community sucks, all they care about is the loot. Community? They'd treat it like a toilet. Immature brats). -_-
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    They weren't any less ambitious, but understood that sticking together isn't only more fun, it builds better communities. And yeah, seeing your class leader in all that gear that took forever to farm .. even felt epic just being there, too.
    Then they grew up.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryana View Post
    From the interview

Why? What was so terrible about it, that you did it in several expansions, and only stopped after Cataclysm in MoP. What exactly is the problem here? That not everybody gets their shiny welfare legendary? Or does it have to do with balance? Isn't it also a problem to expect everyone to have it? Why is it that so many people then think the old legendaries were better and the new ones suck donkey balls?
    It's all about balance guyz. So what that legendaries suck ass now, at least we're all equal!

Commies 1:0 Players

Personally, I think there should be legendaries like we have now, I think those are fine and should stay. HOWEVER, I also would like low drop rate legendaries for LFR, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic. Maybe even ones in every dungeon. That's a problem I really have with WoW. It's loot, in general, is just way too predictable. It's barely even an RPG/MMO anymore.

With the amount of money Blizzard has, and gets from WoW, in every tier every single class should be getting it's own individual legendary quest, and there should be all sorts of neat specific legendaries and whatnot. Blizzard's just ultra cheap with this kind of content because their entire focus is on making a small subset of raiders happy (because that's all they really care about), at the expense of the overall gaming experience of everyone else. (Also: They like finding ways to spend as little as possible, because they're cheap.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post

Work how? Queue to LFR once a week?
    is that all you gotta do?
    sorry....... i consider time to be an effort.. since for me, time is money... what's done in that time is rather secondary...
    and with the current model you must invest time... whereas with the old system in the past, you could have had the legendary within a week or two, for as long as it took to clear the raid....

the argument is always skill...
    if we talk skill..... no one here would have deserved any of these legendaries. unless of course, someone here is able to prove how they are/were part of a top 10 raiding guild...... everyone else is only reenacting the fights based on the groundwork and the guides created by the former raiders...
    so after all, you aren't that good yourself.
    careful what you wish for..

here's an idea for a legendary item, to see where you guys argumentation sits......
    lets make it really legendary..... more up your alley of argumentation.
    make it drop for only the first 3 weeks.. and make it drop only 10 times total.
    then only the creme de la creme gets it, guaranteed... no one else will be able to ever see it drop..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

then only the creme de la creme gets it, guaranteed... no one else will be able to ever see it drop..
    I would actually like that, without the 3 weeks requirement (which is mostly irrelevant, since top guilds would easily get more kills than that in 3 weeks).

What legendaries are best at is creating some sort of mythos in the game. An item that only 1 or 2 characters in the whole game own - that would be pretty epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I would actually like that, without the 3 weeks requirement (which is mostly irrelevant, since top guilds would easily get more kills than that in 3 weeks).

What legendaries are best at is creating some sort of mythos in the game. An item that only 1 or 2 characters in the whole game own - that would be pretty epic.
    yeah, i am totally behind that idea...
    i know that i would never get it, i am rational enough to know.
    but at the same time i also know that those who are the loudest complainers about mass legendaries are likely also the first ones bitching if only the real top guilds have dibs on them... when they suddenly find them in the same group they attempt to single out lol

I personally don't see anything wrong with rewarding the top of the crop guilds with item chances that no one else could get.
    the reason why i would add a time limit is, that the 10 drops is the maximum.... if only 1 or 2 dropped within these 3 weeks, that's the end of it.. but no more than 10 can drop.. that was the idea behind it.

here's an idea for a legendary item, to see where you guys argumentation sits......
    lets make it really legendary..... more up your alley of argumentation.
    A "better" option: Only one legendary per server, and it will drop to the raid who got the last boss on hardest difficulty (currently mythic). Because, you know, legendaries should feel legendary! It is stupid to have more than one Sulfuras, Thunderfury or Blades of Azzinoth, am I right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by knight of thorns View Post
    A "better" option: Only one legendary per server, and it will drop to the raid who got the last boss on hardest difficulty (currently mythic). Because, you know, legendaries should feel legendary! It is stupid to have more than one Sulfuras, Thunderfury or Blades of Azzinoth, am I right?
    no objection there from me
    i can settle for a one per server deal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    From a lore perspective, yes, it would be logical; and personally, I wouldn't mind that But from a gameplay perspective, is that a good thing?

Please put yourself in the game designer's perspective. Should you design the encounters with this legendary in mind, or don't? If you don't, a raid with the legendary item will have big advantage to those who won't. If you do, then you make the encounters harder for raids without the legendary item. Also, this game has a PVP aspect. How can you balance a team with a legendary item against a team who doesn't have any. Would it be fair that the top rankings would be the people who have legendaries only? Not because they are more skilled than other groups, but because they have this orange item?

And please put yourself in gamer's perspective. When you oppose people with legendary items in PvP, you already start the match 0-1. Especially in Arena, where the burst is much more important, don't you think this model will create problems?

These are the questions the designers of WoW probably asked themselves, and Ion touches this subject in the interview as well, so this is why we have the current type of legendaries. Because it would be better for the overall health for the game.

no objection there from me
    i can settle for a one per server deal too.
    I have to say that I thought you were sarcastic. But as I said above, while I wouldn't mind this kind of legendary items, I don't think they are good for the game, because of the problems they would create. Maybe some day, they will come up with a way to overcome these problems, but there are too many questions to be answered before it.
    Last edited by knight of thorns; 2015-06-30 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knight of thorns View Post
    If only. That would actually be one of the best things they ever do.

On the bright side, atleast they're stepping into the right direction with the ring in 6.2 with LFR one being weaker over time because of the 3 ilvl buff the rest of us get from Archimonde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Then they grew up.
    WoW took most of the kids.