Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Why do you play Guild Wars 2?

Hello my dear and beloved champions.

I love Guild Wars 2 as much as I love Pizza, and boy, me loves some Pizza!
    So I was thinking: Why do you play GW2?

I play because I love my character, I love Tyria, and I love the community.
    The game is beautiful and it's a breath of fresh air into the MMO Genre, who is becoming stale at this point.

And you?

10+ Year Old Account
    - World
    - Characters and Classes
    - Different to other mmorpgs
    - No sub model
    - Graphics (SweetFX <3)
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Right now I don't because there hasn't been an update in half a year to actual gameplay. I played briefly to see new Lion's Arch which is awesome, and I log in some to fiddle with character barbie, but there's nothing new to do right now.

For a game that advertised a "living world" and constant bi-weekly updates, its the least updated MMO of any MMO that's active.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Right now I don't because there hasn't been an update in half a year to actual gameplay. I played briefly to see new Lion's Arch which is awesome, and I log in some to fiddle with character barbie, but there's nothing new to do right now.
    Thank everyone who threw a fit about needing an expansion and that having small updates every two weeks was awful

I have a lot of fun out in the world doing random stuff and doing events with my guilds. I also like being able to log on and do whatever I feel like and not feeling like I have to do certain things. Also I really enjoy the Living Story when it's active so I'm looking forward to that picking up again.

Fun. In pve, getting 24 idiots together and watching half of them fail at the simplest mechanics wasn't fun. In gw2 I have some friends, I get a bunch of them together and we kill stuff and chill, do our daily fractal 50s and have fun. In other mmo's I found myself being bored in pve. Working with so many people wasn't fun, and the 5 man dungeons were often completely irrelevant.

Balance. Pvp balance (imo) has always been exceptionally good in gw2. No it was not perfect, but you'll never get perfect (Although swtor was pretty much there before I quit sans the reset railgun trooper guys). However with the patch this has changed considerably, now balance is pretty horrid, but it's to be expected, it will get better.

No sub fee. Self explanatory.

Freedom. This ties into my first point. So I can log in, when ever. Do what ever. Not log in a few days and not care. There are no excruciatingly important daily activities I MUST do, except log in rewards I guess, but that takes a split second. I am not obligated to run X dungeon for gear, I can craft it or buy it or w/e. I personally have full ascended on my thief, and I will never have to change my gear unless I decide I want to. Or you know... sinister becomes good. The lack of structure in the game promotes playing at your pace, and playing your way, which has always been huge for me.

The little things. Karka hunt. Need I say more? I didn't use a guide and I had a TON of fun running around LA listening for karka's to mercilessly murder with a pellet gun. All for the sake of obtaining my Fat Tick Princess.

It's an admittedly enjoyable diversion, despite having quite a few elements that, on paper, I dislike in an MMO. I played it when it first came out, got to 80 and promptly said 'well, now what', and sort of lost interest. I recently started again, created a different character, and am having more fun than I did the first time around.

The reasons themselves... the world is detailed and beautifully presented, with a smart setup of things to do if you want to chase the dailies as they're presented. Crafting is pretty strong, and I also enjoy how PvP is done in this game.

Working slowly towards 100% map completion and getting crafting where they need to be. Oddly enough I've yet to set foot in a dungeon, have no idea what a fractal is, etc. Lots to do yet

Deleted
    I don't atm, but before it was to get a legendary. I also love my little Asura ele, my female Charrdian with sunrise and my gold/white angel human mesmer girl. DEM TRANSMOGS THO

Mainly because it is free to play. I have been playing on and off since release, with varying lengths of serious playing. The most important thing for me is that I can just hop back in to check something out, or if I just feel like playing again. Unlike WoW where I have to commit month by month, I can play GW2 whenever I want to. Some of the things that keep me coming back are my friends/guild, my characters, the world, and the combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    - I don't have to organize big group things to get some piece of Lore
    - I don't have to run after anyone who thinks he can organize things
    - I don't have to spend my time in vent to listen to... anything
    - I can go whereever I want and still get some rewards fitting to my level range
    - I am a free man here.

7+ Year Old Account
    I loved Gw1 - I play Gw2 because I loved Gw1.

I love my characters. The aesthetics of each race is awesome.

I can play with any of my friends that happen to be online at the time. Regardless of level.

I really enjoy the scenery. Sometimes I literally stop and stare at stuff, simply enjoying my surroundings.

I love how everything seems so grandiose and majestic. From giant keeps, to the Racial Cities, to far away details.

I like the game-play and how fast paced some classes play. I find the combat to be smooth and with pretty good animations.

The Community ain't too shabby either. By far one of the most pleasant to hang around at.

No subscription Fees. I can just hop in whenever I feel like it and don't have to worry about anything else. (erm, expansion packs and all, now.)

Because it's fun. I can make incremental progress towards some goal, or just fool around. There's no subscription or gear treadmill to worry about, so I can just do what I want. Or play other games if I want and come back when it suits me.

Beyond that, it's a very pretty game and I like the more arcade based style of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    For a game that advertised a "living world" and constant bi-weekly updates, its the least updated MMO of any MMO that's active.
    I guess you're not familiar with a game called World of Warcraft, then =P

@topic: Mainly because of the gameplay, which is quite unique in the MMO scenery, as well as the depth in immersion the world provides.

I think the development of the game is interesting to watch & discuss. Usually only log on to see the new content and so on.

As an MMO the only gameplay aspects of GW2 I enjoy are the art direction, discretely instanced zones and cooperative open world events. But I am not really sure GW2 does any of those aspects better than other games on the market.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-07-06 at 01:07 AM.

Deleted
    The concept art and styles appeal to me. I love the community and made some really nice friends - I never had that in an mmo before. Not like this, at least. I love how the game looks. And it feels 'comfortable' in a way. I cannot explain it, it's probably how the world feels to me, and with the UI and all. Sometimes I play a game and I just can't connect, and sometimes I get hooked xD GW2 did the last thing.

If you got bored with:

WoW (highest I got was level 63)
    Guild Wars 1 (North Shiverpeaks)
    Wild Star (level 15)
    Dragon Age Inquisition (5 hours in)

Will you get bored with GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggly Butt-Butt Monster View Post
    If you got bored with:

WoW (highest I got was level 63)
    Guild Wars 1 (North Shiverpeaks)
    Wild Star (level 15)
    Dragon Age Inquisition (5 hours in)

Will you get bored with GW2?
    Yeah probably. Maybe you should put a little more effort in to games and see if you like the rewards.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Hadn't played in a long time, came back for something to do and play the living world stuff, enjoyed the season 2 stuff a lot. Was nice to be able to jump back in and still be relevant with my gear from a year+ ago. Been enjoying sPvP a lot more cuz my "OP Mesmer" (aka. bads upset mesmers do damage now) and annoying my friend by getting 2 Dusks playing Mystic Forge roulette.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

While the blizzard following the killing WoW, we have to have other options for fun.
    I started playing with this aim and now i am a fan of many aspects of this great game.