Idea for expanding the game

Hello!

I quit WoW a couple of months into WoD due to there being no challanging content for few people, seeing the removal of 10man raids and 5man dungeons being too easy and repetitive, even challange mode(however I did enjoy them very much the few first times!). I enjoyed raiding 10man ALOT, and became very good at it. I tried mythic but it did not appeal to me, too many people, too little responsibility per player and it's harder to meet new people and make new contacts. While it did settle the 10man vs 25man discussion, and opened up for a more competitve engdame raiding environment I still don't like it.

Then I thought, there is tons of content in WoW! Old raids, dungeons etc with great mechanics and really cool environments just laying around. The problem is the only reason for people to go there is for transmog (I personally don't care for transmog). I pretty much experienced every raid boss in the game while it was meant to be challanged, but there are tons of new players and people that did not, so why should these great instances be trashed and tossed away? To be locked for players to ever experiencing the way they are meant to be experienced again? All work put into it by blizzard is for nothing after a couple of months. I agree that one raid tier should be focus of progression at a time, but to me it's just so depressing seeing all the other good raids be forgotten and never played again and removing the chance to let players experience it in a better way.

Seeing timewalking dungeons (even though I heard they are very easy) I think it would be cool to do something similar with raiding instances. All the old raids have already been balanced for 10man (Some raids in TBC, Wotlk - MoP). Make it like challange mode, when people enter their stats are lowered to the stats you actually had when you played these raids. Some tweaking would have to be done since the classes kits have changed etc, but overall I don't seeing it being THAT much of an effort, while giving the game back a lot of content. How cool wouldn't it be to go through Karazhan again, or maybe Naxxramas.

I also think it would be problematic if theses raids dropped loot. Bringing 10 people to an old dungeon will be hard when you can just take them to the active raid tier and go Heroic. Maybe they could increase the dropchance of the raids in questions exclusives, say Dragons souls drake mount (wich now have about 1%), or ICC's invicible (did I spell that right?). If you complete the raids at a harder difficulty the mounts could drop more frequently, giving players that are actually skilled at the game reward for going there, instead of trying to get the mount through blind luck week after week. They could also add treasure chests or what not.

I am no game developer so obviously I can't pay attention to every small detail this brings with it, or all problems it can cause, and it can probably be improved a lot, but I think the foundation of it is really cool.

What do you think? Agree, disagree? Any input?
    Last edited by Flagobha; 2015-06-30 at 12:31 PM.

They've covered this themselves in the past, and even very recently on an interview which is on the front page at this very moment.
    It's just a stark reality that you can give someone as much content as you like, but if it has no rewards they won't do it. If there is no reward for this concept, nobody will go there, and an extra drop chance on mounts they can already farm is not going to suffice (plus they'd just stop when they had that single item). Coming up with suitable, repeatable rewards for these things is hard, and something Blizzard haven't thought of a good solution for.
    On top of that, how likely really is it that you could get 10 people together to do a raid which didn't drop anything? If you have a whole raid group, you are probably going go to and do current content. Getting a very large group together just to do something you've done before with no reward is not going to go down well with that group most of the time! Maybe they will do it once, but then there will be no incentive or desire to do it again and then after that you're back to having nothing to do.

With no reward this content would not have longevity, nor provide much interest to people for a particularly long time. Additionally, scaling old raids to work with the new flex format would be a fair bit harder than scaling old 5 man dungeons to just change your item level (but still require the same number of people).

I don't think rescaling old raids or instances is going to help much. It's a gimmick. You can put rewards like pets or toys there, yes, and completionists will go for these rewards, will group up to do these old raids every week, if necessary, but even they won't be terribly excited, and if this content isn't absolute faceroll, there will be trouble.

There has to be new content. Old rescaled content is not a replacement for new content. Having old rescaled content is better than having nothing, but just slightly so.

you should only be able to use timescaling gear inside of timescaled dungeons and raids, give everyone a buffer set of gear when they start and there ya go, youve turned old raids into a gimmick which people will probably end up doing.

is it good game design? no

will it be a neat filler which people will complain about but still do? yes

Quote Originally Posted by Flagobha View Post
    too little responsibility per player and it's harder to meet new people and make new contacts.
    This is completely opposite in WoD, there has never been more personal responsibility in raids than currently.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.