Pci SSD vs Sata SSD: Worth the extra cost?

For my next home PC (gaming, internet etc) im deciding whether its worth getting a newer PCI SSD over the standard SATA SSD. The items in question are:

$359 AUD, 480Gb Intel 535 Series SSD: http://www.netplus.com.au/product/HD...rive_SATA3_HDD

$565 AUD, 400Gb Intel 750 Series SSD: http://www.netplus.com.au/product/HD...tate_Drive_HDD

So its 60% more expensive whilst having a ~17% small capacity to boot.

My biggest mistake with my last computer 5 years ago (which ill fix with this one) was not getting a SSD. So this time I want to make sure I get a good one.

I'm aware the difference in boot time and load time versus my current mechanical HDD and any SSD will be huge, but i'd like to know whether the differences between a PCI vs Sata SSD (and not just between different sata ssd's) will be huge as well.

Speed specs from the intel website regarding the PCI 750 series: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...50-series.html
    Speed specs from the intel website regarding the SATA 535 series: http://ark.intel.com/products/86729/...-6Gbs-16nm-MLC

Via the specs alone the pci one is hugely faster. But I need to know what this will mean in terms practical to me: Namely boot times, program load times etc.

Worth the extra cost? Or is it just throwing money at at the wall for no good reason for my casual gaming/internet home pc, unless im doing insane graphics rendering / running a data centre etc etc to take advantage of it?
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2015-06-30 at 02:29 PM.

I don't think you get that much of a noticable increase, I mean My computer boots up in like 10-15s flat with a normal SSD and thats with the bios having a 'delay' turned on in case I want to enter the bios setup.

Have you considered an m.a SSD instead? They are a little faster than standard SSDs, but not as expensive as PCI.

In addition, i'm not sure how easy it is to boot from a PCI sata drive, you need to make sure you get a MOBO with bios that supports booting from a PCI drive, which many (probably still most non super enthusiast/server class boards) do not support..

Deleted
    the new intel 750 series are incredible fast stupidly fast , in synthetic benchmarks is around x3-x5 times faster than any mainstream SSD's like the 535series, is so fast that atm (or by the time i read about it, 2 months ago) was getting bottle neck by other drivers and other components in real time applications , like boot times, loading times etc. meaning that it wasnt as fast as it should have been this SSD is truly a very enthusiast component, if you would like to buy probably the best ssd in the market this an option, also that takes cables way from ur computer which will give a cleaner look inside the case
    All depends in how much you want o pay and how good you want your computer to be; from my POV i would go for the 1tb samsung 850 evo which is cheaper than the 750series and a very nice spot of storage , or x2 535 and use raid 0 which is less space but will be faster

honestly, i'd probably opt for the 535 series ssd. thing is the 750, while being super fast, it's probably not going to give you that much of a noticeable gain in performance unless you're going to be running a workstation doing things like CAD, CAM, and a/v production. if you're not going to push that thing into a threshold where you'd be in a position to take advantage what it can do, then there's no point in getting it (from a practical point of view). it would be like buying a lamborghini as a daily driver to commute back and forth to work. sure, it's sexy, sleek, and fast as hell, but how often do you get to really drive it the way it's meant to be driven? i would take that $200 that you save and invest it into other hardware going into the rig.

No. Not even close to being worth it. If you want to spend more, just get a bigger drive.

Most of your load times on games (or anything else for that matter) are down to processing of data (or disk seek times in a classic HDD) rather than actual loading.

PCI-E SSD are for real enterprise use. Databases being constantly written to and read from, caches for huge storage arrays, mission critical systems. That kind of thing. Marketing this kind of thing at gamers is cynical at best. It's like a Titan X or a Extreme Edition i7, only with even less noticeable difference. For dick-measuring enthusiasts only.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    You are better off with just a regular SSD. What is your MoBo out of curiosity?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

My "dick measuring enthusiasm" lead to me to building a new pc with the Intel 400gb 750 NVMe and while I'm not sitting there with a stop watch timing everything, there is a noticeable difference in a lot of applications and games, notably GTA Online and Guild Wars 2. While it cannot alleviate the inherent problems with GTA Online's slow ass initial load times, swapping between Online and Solo is vastly improved. The boot time for windows is also scrotum burning fast.

Is it necessary? Hardly. I had the income and thought "fuck it"...and considering the rest of the system I built the ssd was a minor part of it

Is it awesome? Fuck yes.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.