Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Change my GPU or change my PC entirely?

Like the title says, I'm not a big computer guy when it comes to installing parts. However, I'm a fast learner so I might be able to install parts by following
    instructions on YouTube.

My specs according to Speccy:

Windows 7
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHZ BloomField 45 NM Technology
    12 GB RAM Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534 MHZ
    ASUSTEK SABERTOOTH X58 MotherBoard
    1024 MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6800 series (Sapphire/PC partner)
    1TB WESTERN ATA SATA HD

Can't remember exactly when I got my pc, I would guess around 2010-2011.

Now, should I just change my GPU? Atm, I can play Hearthstone and most games on low settings. However, I can't run Heroes of the Storm, even when I put everything on lowest settings. Or is my pc simply too old (is my Motherboard is too old? Is my CPU still good?) and should change the entire thing?

I also think my graphics card is dying out. Since a couple of weeks, I've been getting flickering pixels across my monitor when I'm idle on my desktop or playing games. I've been thinking about buying the GTX 970. My friend has one and says good thing about it. Reviews online are also pretty good.

Sorry for the big post and sorry for the bad grammar. English isn't my primary language.

Thanks for your help!

Potrice

GPU. HotS, WoW, and HS (though this doesnt require much) are mostly GPU intensive, so you are going to get the biggest increase by upgrading that.

The rest of your PC, while it isn't the newest technology, is perfectly capable of handling those games on higher details.

Also, if you upgrade your video card and then want to go ahead and get a new PC, you can 100% keep the new card you bought, so either way you are buying a new card. You might be perfectly happy with just upgrading the card, and if not, you didnt waste any money.

(replacing a video card is super easy, 10 minutes worth of work).

10+ Year Old Account
    A GTX 970 would be wasted on that machine (provided your PSU can even run it).

I think the two biggest questions are what do you want to be able to do, and what is your budget?

If you just want to play Heroes of the Storm, you should be able to toss a $100 GTX 750 into your existing rig and probably be good to go. But if you want to do more than that, well... at some point you'll just start throwing good money after bad.

Thanks for the response guys. My budget would be about 400-500$. I want to be able to run things smoothly (55-60 fps) on recent games. I also plan to stream 1080p quality at one point. My internet connection is 25/10, so I think I'll be alright. Not looking for anything super high end 4k resolution etc.

If you want to stream in 1080p you are going to need a new PC. That CPU cannot handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by EquilibriumCaster View Post
    If you want to stream in 1080p you are going to need a new PC. That CPU cannot handle it.
    In that case, I would be better off with a new PC right? How much $ are we talking about here for something good that can stream 1080p and handle all the games smoothly but without going super high end with 4k resolution?

10+ Year Old Account
    For streaming 1080p you're looking at minimum $1000. Realistically probably closer to $1200.

Deleted
    Yeah, I would say go for a new PC.

Deleted
    Something like this is in the ballpark you're looking for for 1080p + streaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.75 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($297.00 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($23.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $928.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-01 04:48 EDT-0400

Now, that's around $1100 before rebates based on USD.

Deleted
    Above build should be more than enough tho I would bump that PSU upto around 600w as the 450 doesn't meet nvidia's minimum requirement for a 970 plus it's always nice to allow for some headroom.

Wow thank you so much guys! I guess I can try to sell the PC that I'm currently using. No idea how much I'll get for it though. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

What about the RAM? 16GB? Anything over is overkill right?

Quote Originally Posted by Potrice View Post
    Wow thank you so much guys! I guess I can try to sell the PC that I'm currently using. No idea how much I'll get for it though. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

What about the RAM? 16GB? Anything over is overkill right?
    12-16GB should be more than enough for general use, yes. I run 8GB and find that I never really go over 6.5GB usage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EquilibriumCaster View Post
    Even though an upgrade would be smarter, I would have to interject on this one.

I used to stream with an Intel Core i7 920 (D0 stepping, granted it was OC-ed to 3,8GHz) 1080p perfectly fine with raiding.
    So saying the CPU cannot handle it is a load of crap for WoW or a lot of other games.

If you were to say stream Crysis 3... THEN I would agree.. but not WoW.

Deleted
    I would just buy a new GPU. You should be able to run the vast majority of games at 60 FPS on 1080p with your i7-950 when paired up with a modern GPU.

And even if you are not happy with the performance boost, the only option to fix that is to buy a new system. In that case you already got a good GPU which you would have had to buy anyway for the new system.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do exactly as said above. If your power supply is good enough to power a powerful recent Graphics card then you should start with it to see if it's enough. Your computer is old, but gpu aside it isn't weak by any means.

Deleted
    That CPU can be a bit of an issue in WoW raiding. Going from i7-920@3.6GHz to 4690k@4.4GHz doubled my minimum FPS during raids.

The single-threaded performance, which is the deciding factor for WoW, isn't that great in first gen i7s. It is comparable to AMD's current CPUs.

Thanks for all the replies. I think what I'll do is I'll buy an ''ok'' GPU, nothing fancy and expensive. I was thinking of getting this :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-047-_-Product

The reason is simple. The card would be ok (I think) to run most recent games (not on highest settings but I don't care about that for now). The card is cheap at only 150$ CAD. Since my current GPU is on its last leg, I need one asap so this one will replace my current one. Then, in a year or two, I'll just sell my pc and get something good. The only thing that is worrying me before I pull the trigger on this card is if my motherboard can take it or is compatible. How can I check this? My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth X58 (yes I know it's an old one, that's why I'm a little worried here). Am I crazy here? Or it's just open the case, slap it in and close the case. I haven't checked my power supply, but the card requires 400 watts or more. I don't think they make lower power supplies than 400 watts.

Again, sorry for the bunch of questions. I just know jacksquat about computers.
    Last edited by Potrice; 2015-07-17 at 11:52 AM.

That is not an ok GPU that is a non gaming GPU, you would at least need a GTX750 (ti) for reasonably decent gaming

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a graphics card first if you are low on budget and want an upgrade
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!