Thread: Combat weapons

Combat weapons

Quite new to the Rogue class, used to play Warrior until a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if there's any kind of hard rule regarding weapon choice in Combat spec.

Considering that I'll probably only play Combat for AoE fights that really deserve it (Assault, Iskar, Xhul'horac mostly), isn't the best choice to actually use faster weapons rather than slower ones (or so I believe) if you have weapons of the same ilvl ?
    All sims are usually done with Single Target dps in mind, but that's irrelevant in this case, and I'd appreciate any help or information on that topic ...

10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC, fast - slow is the best for multitarget AoE.

Yeah but only in the main hand ? off-hand also ?
    And what if you have say 10 ilvls more on a slow weapon, at how many targets is it still better to use the faster weapon, if at all ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alviarin View Post
    Yeah but only in the main hand ? off-hand also ?
    And what if you have say 10 ilvls more on a slow weapon, at how many targets is it still better to use the faster weapon, if at all ?
    Never use a fast weapon in the offhand, your mastery is based off of offhand damage.
    For reference, equipping a dagger with 25 more ilvls in the offhand yielded a 1400 dps loss for me.

Basically, if you have weapons of the same level and only need to do AoE, then fast - slow is the best for that. If you also have phases where you need single target then go slow - slow.

Ahh, right, had forgotten about the Mastery !

But then, for an AoE fight, if you had a 710 slow weapon, a 700 slow weapon and a 700 dagger, what would you use ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, right, had forgotten about the Mastery !

But then, for an AoE fight, if you had a 710 slow weapon, a 700 slow weapon and a 700 dagger, what would you use ?
    For pure AoE I'd go 700 dagger in MH and 710 slow in OH.
    If you have important single target phases then go 700 slow mainhand and 710 slow offhand.

Hmmm, tried both configs in ShadowCraft and the 710 slow MH / 700 slow OH yielded more dps than the other way round. My best guess would be that some abilities only take into account MH dps ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, tried both configs in ShadowCraft and the 710 slow MH / 700 slow OH yielded more dps than the other way round. My best guess would be that some abilities only take into account MH dps ?
    Did you alter how many adds the simulation has?
    If you didn't then it only simulates singletarget, in which the higher damaging weapon will always yield a DPS increase when in the mainhand due to Sinister Strike etc.

For example, just simulated a scenario of 2x 670 slow weps vs 670 slow MH and 705 slow offhand and there's a fairly substantial increase in damage in multitarget fights with Blade Flurry activated.