Thread: Protection T18

Protection T18

Seeing lots of posts about T18 Fury and Arms but very little on Protection.

■2 pieces (Protection) : Reduces the cooldown of your Last Stand by 50%.
    ■4 pieces (Protection) : Shield Barrier's effect is increased by 200% when used during Last Stand.

Would I be better off leaving the tier tokens for other classes to get their 4 set then be last resort, seeing how bad the prot bonus appears to be?

At the moment the set bonus seems extremely underwhelming to me, with the bonus doubly stacked on a major CD. I'm currently full heroic 685 in all those tier slots but have the option of going 700 (mythic BH shoulders), craft my helm to 715 goggles then double apexis the other slots to 695.

From T17 to 6.2 onwards, would I be better off doing this or hanging onto the 685 x4 for the tier bonus?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the boni you posted are still the broken op values. They have been nerfed and are now in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    Seeing lots of posts about T18 Fury and Arms but very little on Protection.

■2 pieces (Protection) : Reduces the cooldown of your Last Stand by 50%.
    ■4 pieces (Protection) : Shield Barrier's effect is increased by 200% when used during Last Stand.

Would I be better off leaving the tier tokens for other classes to get their 4 set then be last resort, seeing how bad the prot bonus appears to be?

At the moment the set bonus seems extremely underwhelming to me, with the bonus doubly stacked on a major CD. I'm currently full heroic 685 in all those tier slots but have the option of going 700 (mythic BH shoulders), craft my helm to 715 goggles then double apexis the other slots to 695.

From T17 to 6.2 onwards, would I be better off doing this or hanging onto the 685 x4 for the tier bonus?
    As far as I know, it's been nerfed to 100%. Not sure why. Was pretty terrible to begin with. This forum isnt really a great place for prot warriors since everyone has basically gone dps. Tanking for warriors this expac has been a bit of a let down. Anyone know a good theorycraft tanking forum other than blizz's?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayturn View Post
    As far as I know, it's been nerfed to 100%. Not sure why. Was pretty terrible to begin with. This forum isnt really a great place for prot warriors since everyone has basically gone dps. Tanking for warriors this expac has been a bit of a let down. Anyone know a good theorycraft tanking forum other than blizz's?
    citation needed. Where do you have that info from?
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    citation needed. Where do you have that info from?
    It was nerfed to 100%, but you guys saying it is trash are just wrong.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    It was nerfed to 100%, but you guys saying it is trash are just wrong.
    I actually mentioned that it was nerfed in my first post, so it was just about it being trash^^ thanks for clearing that up.

Short Answer: Yes, other classes get way more out of 4-piece than Protection Warriors get.

Long Answer: 2-piece (Helm and Legs) are BiS because of their itemization. This gives you the 1.5 minute Last Stand for free. Getting the 4-piece is worth it eventually. It's situationally strong on a lot of the later bosses, and the pieces aren't itemized horribly.

I don't know what the itemization on the Apexis pieces are. If they're Crit/Mastery then dropping 4-piece for the item level upgrade is worth it. If the apexis pieces are poorly itemized (Multistrike/Versatility) I would keep my 4-piece.

The T18 set bonus is incredibly situational. If you feel like you need the cooldown/damage reduction then it's strong (generally against un-blockable physical damage). T17 4-piece is still very good against 80%+ blockable, melee damage.

The Warrior T18 is functionally a cheat death set bonus collection.

You're not going to win any log parses with it, but the simple fact is a Last Stand/60 rage Barrier is incredibly strong for emergency survival... I really can't think of what would be able to kill you through it.

Honestly Warriors don't really need that much help in mitigating flat damage. They already do a fine job. Their biggest problem has always been competing with DKs and Druids in the "press a button, get a billion health" department. This set bonus addresses that and I like it.

Deleted
    Would you suggest using AM when you get the 4p?

never in a million years. there's no need to surrender the global no-cost 5% damage reduction of Gladiator Stance talent. Last Stand should be viewed as an emergency survival tool, not a strategy for mitigation

This is a different trade off than with the T17 bonus which is almost exclusively focused on dealing with blockable flat damage, the area where Warriors already dominate

got my 4pc normal today and got to test it out on archimonde normal, it feels good to be unkillable with 400K barriers during last stand. With the class trinket i think the tier bonus is good enough to get anger management to decrease the CD even more.

Deleted
    The way I see it, the Last Stand+T18 4p combo makes us have a very strong Damage Reduction CD combo every 90 sec. The combo can arguably be stronger than our Shield Wall in many situations. I would still prefer something more frequent like our T17 p4, but yeah... too late now.

In short, the best way to use the 4p is in a CD rotation with our Shield Wall. This could make Anger Management become very interesting in the upcoming HC/MM fights. With it, when tank switching is taken into account, in many situations we could be able to have close to a 100% uptime on our CDs (Demo Shout, Shield Wall, and LS+4p). That could play out pretty well. Eager to try it out.

PS: A nerf of the 4p to 100% was announced on PTR but last I checked, it's still 200% on live. So unless the tooltip is outdated, nope, it's still 200% extra absorption.
    Last edited by mmocd210ee9388; 2015-07-03 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L Kebess View Post
    The way I see it, the Last Stand+T18 4p combo makes us have a very strong Damage Reduction CD combo every 90 sec. The combo can arguably be stronger than our Shield Wall in many situations. I would still prefer something more frequent like our T17 p4, but yeah... too late now.

In short, the best way to use the 4p is in a CD rotation with our Shield Wall. This could make Anger Management become very interesting in the upcoming HC/MM fights. With it, when tank switching is taken into account, in many situations we could be able to have close to a 100% uptime on our CDs (Demo Shout, Shield Wall, and LS+4p). That could play out pretty well. Eager to try it out.

PS: A nerf of the 4p to 100% was announced on PTR but last I checked, it's still 200% on live. So unless the tooltip is outdated, nope, it's still 200% extra absorption.
    Tooltip. Try it with and without it on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Tooltip. Try it with and without it on.
    Haven't been lucky enough with tokens yet..