Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Knight Rider was utter shite.
    But like most 80s cartoons or shows it had a terrific opening score music wise

Jayce and the wheeled warriors anyone? Possibly the most mind blowing opening theme in any show.

ha! no one is laughing at Hogan's heroes now for their reluctance to show swastikas.

Can somebody explain how banning a flag is actually going to stop this from happening again or perhaps even racism in general?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Can somebody explain how banning a flag is actually going to stop this from happening again or perhaps even racism in general?
    I'm not sure where this "the confederate flag is banned" meme is coming from (too much Fox News maybe). Afaik (and I've seen zero) evidence otherwise, nothing has been "banned" - a lot of folks have chosen, for their own (typically good, imnsho) reasons, to stop displaying "the confederate flag". The way it will "stop racism" (which it won't do all on its own, we're not talking magic bullet here, it's just a step) is by the zeitgeist moving clearly away from celebrating a symbol of slavery and racism of the worst sorts.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

America's gone insane over this whole Confederate flag BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    To be fair, if you ever rewatch the Dukes of Hazzard you'll realise it was shit.

As was the A-Team.

TV programmes are infinitely better nowadays.
    Uh, not on all fronts. Honey boo boo and the Kardashians say "Hi". And lets not forget Jersey Shore. Also apparently according to the new history channel..Aliens had a hand in my history.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rindrae View Post
    America's gone insane over this whole Confederate flag BS.
    Well, yeah- didn't you hear? If we remove it then racism will be fixed. /rolls eyes

Just like if we ban guns- the criminals will stop using them.

10+ Year Old Account
    @kalis about a team
    now you've gone too far elf hater.
    I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T LIKE MR T! GRRR
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-07-03 at 02:15 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    The jeffersons would sometimes have archie and edith as guest stars, those were pretty good also.

- - - Updated - - -

I never once saw anything remotely racist on the dukes of hazard. It was a family show and very lighthearted. If they pull the dukes they should also pull, good times and the jeffersons because both of those shows were over the top racist towards whites.
    The PC police have deemed that you can not be racist against whites. Infact, you can never be racist enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Lol, that flag that you have in the picture is the flag on the General E. Lee, Holy Moly.
    Actually it's not... the white background & the red stripe are all featured on the third confederate flag. The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia is only featured as the canton of the flag, and it is square. The General Lee used the flag of the Army of Tennessee which looked like a rectangular Northern Virginia Battle Flag.

I don't have any problem with people taking offense to any one of the flags associated with the confederacy, but I do think an apathetic lack of knowledge about history largely invalidates your opinion to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    They don't need to bother - Dukes of Hazzard is still on the air; it was pulled by TV Land, that's it. To quote one of the OP's original links: "Reruns can still be found on CMT and online."

- - - Updated - - -

Omg, you're right - instead of being exactly identical to the "official" Confederate flag, it is instead the "Confederate flag":

Battle Flag of the Confederacy:

Confederate Naval Jack:

"Confederate Flag":

Sooooo very different... because the latter has a slightly different color of blue, which makes anyone's disapproval completely ridiculous, because these flags have obviously have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Yeah....

Wikipedia - General Lee (Car) "The car's name is a reference to the General Robert E. Lee. It bears a Confederate flag (historically associated with Lee's Army of Northern Virginia) on its roof, and also has a horn which plays the first twelve notes of the song "Dixie"." (Again, I'm not going to say that the show ought to be banned, but neither should any person or organization be forced to play it so that supporters (unwitting or not) of slavery and racism can cheer their beloved symbol.)
    I don't know why you have a flag labeled the "Battle Flag of the Confederacy". There was no such thing, and that is in fact the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

The third flag is the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee.

0 of the 3 flags you linked were ever the confederacy's flags. I don't think you could pick out any of the confederacy's flags from a lineup without the help of a wikipedia search.

Again, I have no issue with the removal of any flags associated with the confederacy from state buildings or what have you, but I'm as against abject & willful ignorance of history as I am against racism. Open a history book.
    Last edited by GG you got me; 2015-07-03 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    Actually it's not... the white background & the red stripe are all featured on the third confederate flag. The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia is only featured as the canton of the flag, and it is square.

The General Lee used the flag of the Army of Tennessee which looked like a rectangular Northern Virginia Battle Flag. I don't have any problem with people taking offense to any one of the flags associated with the confederacy, but I do think an apathetic lack of knowledge about history largely invalidates your opinion to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why you have a flag labeled the "Battle Flag of the Confederacy". There was no such thing, and that is in fact the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

The third flag is the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee.

0 of the 3 flags you linked were ever the confederacy's flags. I don't think you could pick out any of the confederacy's flags from a lineup without the help of a wikipedia search.
    Actually, you missed the entire point of the argument. No one cares which flag that is, the only point anyone was trying to make is it isn't the original "Confederate Flag." It's funny to me how when you talk about the Civil War everyone and their brother likes to chime in about something irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    they can't because it won't

- - - Updated - - -

oh first everyone was factually wrong but now people just care too much about the facts like move on mannnnnnnnnnnnnn

what an idiot. not only is it not "the original" confederate flag, it's not any of the confederate flags. It's a battle flag for one subdivision of the confederate army. It's as much the Confederacy's flag as this is the US's flag:

Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    they can't because it won't

- - - Updated - - -

oh first everyone was factually wrong but now people just care too much about the facts like move on mannnnnnnnnnnnnn

what an idiot. not only is it not "the original" confederate flag, it's not any of the confederate flags. It's a battle flag for one subdivision of the confederate army. It's as much the Confederacy's flag as this is the US's flag:
    No one said it was the Confederacy's flag smart guy. The original flag of the confederacy was the 'Bonny Blue' which I posted a link of in a previous post.

Deleted
    The whole semantics about the flag is annoying people know which one was meant which one has the highest brand awareness and which one gets used.

It is too the flag you get when you search for confederation flag on google.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    They don't need to bother - Dukes of Hazzard is still on the air; it was pulled by TV Land, that's it. To quote one of the OP's original links: "Reruns can still be found on CMT and online."

- - - Updated - - -

Omg, you're right - instead of being exactly identical to the "official" Confederate flag, it is instead the "Confederate flag":

Battle Flag of the Confederacy:

Confederate Naval Jack:

"Confederate Flag":

Sooooo very different... because the latter has a slightly different color of blue, which makes anyone's disapproval completely ridiculous, because these flags have obviously have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Yeah....

Wikipedia - General Lee (Car) "The car's name is a reference to the General Robert E. Lee. It bears a Confederate flag (historically associated with Lee's Army of Northern Virginia) on its roof, and also has a horn which plays the first twelve notes of the song "Dixie"." (Again, I'm not going to say that the show ought to be banned, but neither should any person or organization be forced to play it so that supporters (unwitting or not) of slavery and racism can cheer their beloved symbol.)
    It became seen as "The Confederate Flag" AFTER the war. But again, if people don't want to be accurate thats up to you. What you are doing is the same as saying the US Navy Jack (The one from the 1980s and 90s) is the same as the US flag....

Deleted
    It is accurate by vote it is "THE" confederation flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    And of course it'll just give fuel to the, "lol dumb libtards" comments from the right.
    Yes it will. All these people that see bigotry and racism and sexism everywhere they look are the loonbats of the left.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    There is no show better than All in the Family.
    I loved that show, so glad I watched it.

I think TV Land will sell the rights of Duke's of Hazard exclusively to CMT. I imagine CMT can afford to take a controversial stance on the this 'Confederate Flag' debate, might even help their ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    now this anti confederacy thing is just getting out of hand. also don't know if anybody was aware of this but apple pulled several civil war games off it's app store for featuring the confederate flag. totalbiscuit did a video on it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This is really just a dumbass corporate move that will backfire on TV Land.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of people that watch that channel and basically old tv shows, and people that are fans of that channel and their programming, could boycott the channel until they stop their ban on the show.

I'd guess that their target audience would be, at least in terms of programming is white male/female 40+. Seems to me to be a stupid move on their part.