Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    It bears repeating that both engines were replaced only 4 days after the plane was delivered to the airline. It was only 10 months old when it crashed due to an engine issue. Pilot error or not there is a history with that plane and engine issues.
    Yes... so what?
    He was still able to turn the only working engine off when the sensors registered that the plane was licking dirt.

I never claimed he could correct and error by default, I claimed he had no time to correct his initial mistake.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm always wary when they blame the pilot. Like, maybe they are trying to cover up something being wrong with the plane, but don't want to say cause it could ruin the Airline.
    VAST majority of plane crashes and car crashes, and rail accidents and so on, are due to pilot, driver error.

There are accidents caused by mechanical failures, but they occur exceedingly rarely and are rarely fatal. Even in those cases most of those incidents can be attributed to human error, in the form of improper maintenance.

Even in this scenario with an engine failure, on a twin engine plane, there would be sufficient power left to safely land the plane if proper protocols are followed by the human crew.

Curiously even switching off your only working engine wouldn't necessarily lead to a crash. IF you happen to be at a high enough altitude. A common piloting maneuver in that scenario is angling the plane downwards to pick up airspeed. This does 2 things.

1, If the plane builds up speed, you can actually kickstart the engine by initiating auto-rotation caused by the increased airflow.
    2, The built up speed would allow the plane, once leveled out to fly further and control descent, preventing stalling.

Of course at such a low altitude, shutting off the working engine is just a complete failure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Pilot training is for those who can afford it. (Which bars a big portion of the population from even being considered for the position).
    A large number of pilots have prior pilot training. Namely military. The military doesn't pick its pilots based on income.

The rest...well there are regulatory standards and airline standards that should be met.

Considering the sheer number of commercial, leisure, charter, passenger and cargo flights every day, I would say that those standards work, because accidents are VERY RARE!!!!! They just happen to be either spectacular as this specific crash or easy to sensationalize and milk by the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm always wary when they blame the pilot. Like, maybe they are trying to cover up something being wrong with the plane, but don't want to say cause it could ruin the Airline.
    Pilot error is the most common cause of aircraft accidents — more than half the time — occurring about twice as often as mechanical failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Yes... so what?
    He was still able to turn the only working engine off when the sensors registered that the plane was licking dirt.

I never claimed he could correct and error by default, I claimed he had no time to correct his initial mistake.
    So, there were historical issues with that plane and its engines. Known issues. This supports the idea that pilot error isn't the sole reason, which supports your statement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    Pilot error is the most common cause of aircraft accidents — more than half the time — occurring about twice as often as mechanical failure.
    Here's an interesting story about Air France 447 and a combination of pilot and technical error.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/busin...ight-447-crash

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    You are as much idiot if you think his mistake could be corrected in 2s.
    According to the video he had no chance to correct it after his initial mistake.

Instead ask why the software allowed him to turn off the only engine.
    How the fuck am I am idiot? During takeoff, he should have waited until he was done climbing out before even messing with the engines. I'm not saying he was right, he was an idiot, and so are you for not know how the fuck to read. jeez The ATR 72 doesn't have all the sophisticated software and computers to keep you from doing stupid crap anyway.