Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Favourite Video Game Protagonist

TL;DR:
    • Who is your favourite Video Game protagonist of all time and what game are they from?
    • Why are they your favourite character?
    • Would they win in a fight against the character chosen in the post above yours? (if you don't know the character prior to your post go up until you do recognize one)

Everyone has such broad tastes in shows/movies/music on this site but we all play games. Would be cool to see who enjoys what game and which character has won the award of favourite in their eyes.

To answer my own pole

1. Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series
    2. I love how he is just so gritty, does stealth but also crazy kung fu, he's just an overall badass and over comes a lot of tough situations on grit alone.
    3. N/A

Gogo from FF6 (and 5?). He'd beat Snake if he had a strong party member. : P
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geralt of Rivia probably. Some of his lines are priceless, and he is not a typical "good guy".

I don't know who Gogo is, so not sure if Geralt would beat him.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yuri "The Godslayer" Hyuga. From the Legendary (in my opinion at least) Shadow Hearts Covenant.

He's my favourite because he's from a genre PLAGUED by Cliché, JRPG's, but he manages to totally turn every single one of them on it's head. He's not a bishy little teenager, not emo in the slightest and he's fucking BRUTAL. He's a funny, nuanced character, in a genre that so often makes the protagonist a bland shell to allow the player to project onto him.

Would he beat Geralt of Rivia? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Don't get me wrong, Geralt is crazy strong... For a human . But Yuri is a Harmonixer, a person capable of transforming into demon creatures of unrivaled power. In his ultimate form "Dark Seraphim" he wields total power over Death and Rebirth...

So yeah, I think he's got a pretty good chance of taking out The Witcher.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Riou from Suikoden II

He's my favorite hero because he doesn't want to be a hero. He wants to live a life of peace with his sister and his best friend, but war tears them apart and he's forced to become the leader of an army of rebels and make painful choices.

I don't know who Yuri is, but I don't think Riou could beat him. Riou is a tonfa master and bears the Bright Shield rune, which can heal and resurrect others.

Edit: You can see Riou in my sig, bottom right!

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    • Who is your favourite Video Game protagonist of all time and what game are they from?
    • Why are they your favourite character?
    • Would they win in a fight against the character chosen in the post above yours? (if you don't know the character prior to your post go up until you do recognize one)

1. Laharl from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    2. He's the Overlord of Hell, accompanied by an airheaded angel and a wise-cracking demon girl.
    3. He's pretty beast, he could probably take everyone so far. Yuri would be an interesting fight, but I think they'd be more likely to become allies.

I had to think about this one but I'll go with Alex from Lunar. He's not strong or anything but just has the will to achieve what he wants to and he does so in the end. Not sure if he could beat Riou but he could probably put up a good fight with those dragon powers of his.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    He's pretty beast, he could probably take everyone so far. Yuri would be an interesting fight, but I think they'd be more likely to become allies.
    I would pay A LOT of money to see Yuri and Laharl go toe to toe .

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I would pay A LOT of money to see Yuri and Laharl go toe to toe .
    Right? Laharl would win. Horse weiner OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Right? Laharl would win. Horse weiner OP.
    Hahahahahahah as much as I hate to admit it, he probably would , by the end of the game you're insanely OP... Can't wait for Disgaea 5.

Auron - FFX, there will never be another like him. Gave so little shits, just got stuff done.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Malkavian from Vampire tMB...he had such funny lines. Actually, any RPG that allows your character to say some awesome one-liners. Bioware is really good at this. J.C. Denton from Deus Ex had some great ones too.

1. Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja Gaiden / Dead or Alive
    2. He's a baddass ninja and ninjas are ftw! plus i got the nes ninja gaiden 2 for a b-day and played the crap out of it
    3. Ninja pwnage!!

1. I'd probably go with Shadow from Final Fantasy 6. He's not the main protagonist, but I really like the "anti hero" types who aren't afraid to walk on both sides. He's your typical "what's in it for me?" mercenary type at first, but I like how you eventually find out he's not really a bad guy.

vs Ryu Hayabusa...I dunno. Ryu is kind of badass. :| Shadow wears ninja gear, but I'm not sure if it's really mentioned anywhere that he's actually a ninja. He might have a chance though.

Trevor from GTAV.

Because he is the guy you play in most games, only he is the only one that portrays the actual personality that a mass murder should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bayonetta

She is sexualized, but she does it by her own choice and is 100% in control of her self and the villains dont try to take advantage of her or treat her differently for being a lady (which in bayonetta 1 woulda been creepy).

I'd say shes a great example of feminism in video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    She is sexualized, but she does it by her own choice and is 100% in control of her self and the villains dont try to take advantage of her or treat her differently for being a lady (which in bayonetta 1 woulda been creepy).
    I have always said the over sexualization of Bayonetta makes perfect sense and the character wouldn't be as memorable or liked without it. Not saying that's all there is to her personality and character, but seeing as how she is a witch that has sold her soul to Hell in exchange for her powers and she will spend eternity in damnation when she dies, I think it makes perfect sense that her character be based off of one of the cardinal sins like lust. Morrigan from Darkstalkers is the same way. She is literally over sexualization incarnate, but what the hell would you expect from a character that is literally a succubus?

Having recently started playing Witcher 3, and started reading the Witcher novels, I'm tempted to say Geralt of Rivia. However, picking characters that didn't originally come from games seems like cheating, so I looked through my Steam library, and of the games that I've completed, and which has a specific character as a protagonist, it would be Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Chosen One from fallout 2

Loke D'averam ( i think it was the name) from Revenant.

Nameless One from Planescape.

Maiev shadowsong from warcraft 3.

Grey Warden from DA:O.

Courier from Fallout : NV.

Dovakin from Skyrim.

Lets see...

Adam Jensen from Deus Ex.

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption...

And many many more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kratos, doh.

That guy is the epitome of epic.
    I don't think he has any problems with the heroes mentioned above, at least to my knowledge.