Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    I can't really see why people are in such an uproar over this. If you previously paid a tax on a book that you purchased, and now instead of buying a physical book you're downloading the book, what's wrong with paying a tax on that?
    Although I'd like to know what "nonpossessory computer leases" refers to.
    Because illinois already has a sales tax, which is exactly what your talking about. Now you get charged an extra 9% just because its electronic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Because illinois already has a sales tax, which is exactly what your talking about. Now you get charged an extra 9% just because its electronic
    We were not taxed on Netflix previously. The same with both Steam and Amazon - Illinois residents were not paying Sales Tax on those two either until recently. This isn't double-taxation on Streaming Services....It's applying a sales tax to something that should have been already taxed anyways.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I mean it's one thing to look at tax increases when absolutely necessary, but Chicago is notoriously corrupt. I wonder if the city has done an audit of its expenses, and made it public access.
    I don't much see the point since a fair 90% of voters are incapable of understanding what an administrative budget looks like or even means.

Also punctures a hole in your theory that 'small government is better than big government'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I don't much see the point since a fair 90% of voters are incapable of understanding what an administrative budget looks like or even means.

Also punctures a hole in your theory that 'small government is better than big government'.
    Wonder what they're teaching them in those big government schools.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    We were not taxed on Netflix previously. The same with both Steam and Amazon - Illinois residents were not paying Sales Tax on those two either until recently. This isn't double-taxation on Streaming Services....It's applying a sales tax to something that should have been already taxed anyways.
    That's wonderful, however it's still a double taxation on many other forms of entertainment. At least for concerts or other types of event ur only getting hit for an additional 5% instead of 9%. Physical copies of video games with access to online content though, sadly, get the full 15.25% tax.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    "The amusement tax applies to charges paid for the privilege to witness, view or participate in an amusement," states the city's new ruling (pdf).

"This includes not only charges paid for the privilege to witness, view or participate in amusements in person but also charges paid for the privilege to witness, view or participate in amusements that are delivered electronically."

Sources:
    - http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...lix-Tax-134367
    - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...701-story.html
    - http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/1/887...etflix-spotify
    Ah, tax tax tax- the answer to all our problems from the Dems. Oh what are those extra funds going to be spent on? Making the rich even richer. I love how the Dems tell you one thing while they do the exact opposite. Which means the Repubs and Dems are exactly the same- except they just lie about it differently.