Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zizix View Post
    I had this tower built from parts that were picked from threads here and on the wow forums. It is about 4-5 years old.
    O ok. But ya like I said just try putting in the GPU and if that works then it was clearly the RAM. If not do it the other way around.

As I said your PSU is 430Watt so I would highly recommend a upgrade to at lease 500Watt if not 600Watt. No need to go higher then that tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'm thinking it might be the ram too, Some one in the thread earlier said to make sure and get the same type ram i had. they did not have any in stock or carry it. they suggested this other one and said it was compatible it is 1866MHz CAS 10 1.5 V

I'm thinking it might be the ram too, Some one in the thread earlier said to make sure and get the same type ram i had. they did not have any in stock or carry it. they suggested this other one and said it was compatible it is 1866MHz CAS 10 1.5 V
    k well like I said put the GPU in and leave in ur old ram. If it works then its the RAM.

If this is ur montherboard it does support 1866MHz but one of the chips could be bad.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3648#ov
    4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
    * Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
    Dual channel memory architecture
    Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
    Support for non-ECC memory modules
    Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
    Also like I said I do highly recommend a PSU upgrade of at lease 500watt bronze rated but thats just my opinion.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Ok, I put the gtx960 back in and turned it on. first time it hung at the loading windows screen with the logo then got a blue screen and shut off. turned it back on and it loaded fine the second time and installed the drivers for it. and reloaded and it loaded fine this time also.

Ok, I put the gtx960 back in and turned it on. first time it hung at the loading windows screen with the logo then got a blue screen and shut off. turned it back on and it loaded fine the second time and installed the drivers for it. and reloaded and it loaded fine this time also.
    So everything is working fine now with the GTX960? Now try putting the RAM in and see if it does it again if it does take it out put the old RAM in and if it boots up fine then good chance you got a bad RAMM chip.

Its really common to hear a beep or something when trying to turn the system on with a bad chip. But at lease you got the card working

Like I said and not to repeat myself I do recommend a PSU upgrade. Also could have been a driver issue on why the loading screen did that the first time.

Ok. i wll try to put the ram back in and see what it does. Is it bad to run this card with this low of a psu? should i put back in my old card till I can get a bigger psu?

Ok. i wll try to put the ram back in and see what it does. Is it bad to run this card with this low of a psu? should i put back in my old card till I can get a bigger psu?
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications
    120 W Graphics Card Power (W)
    400 W Minimum Recommended System Power (W)
    You should be fine but you do barely meet the minimum requirements. Thats why I would upgrade to a decent 500-600watt but thats me.

You should be fine tho. I'm a person who likes a decent wiggle room to be safe but thats me.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-07-05 at 02:00 AM.

Ok, i put the Ram sticks back in and it went back to the power cycling again. So i took them back out. So I should be ok with this PSU playing WoW and everything till wednesday (my next day off) to get a bigger psu?

Ok, i put the Ram sticks back in and it went back to the power cycling again. So i took them back out. So I should be ok with this PSU playing WoW and everything till wednesday (my next day off) to get a bigger psu?
    Ya if everything is working fine besides when you put in the RAM you should be good too go. Don't expect to run it max at like 1440p/60fps but you will be able to play it.

Ok, thank you for all of your help =) I will return the ram and get a new psu on wednesday.

Ok, thank you for all of your help =) I will return the ram and get a new psu on wednesday.
    Np. If for some reason you have the same problem after you get the new ram then I really got no clue lol. Happy its working with the GPU at lease. Make sure the PSU you get is at lease bronze rated as well.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillaidioten View Post
    Try to uninstall the old gpu drivers (with the old gpu) there are loads of guides out there. When you are done with that just swap out the old gpu for the new one.
    While that's a genuine bit of advice, if the PC is shutting off barely managing to POST, then that means this has nothing to do with drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Then take out the other RAM and only use this RAM. Having both 1.65v and 1.5v RAM, plus different speeds and CAS latencies is bound to create a lot of problems.

As far as power supply goes, you won't need more than 600 watts, you could get a 650 (they're more common than 600) but if they try and push something as absurd as 800 on you, tell them you're not taking that salesman BS. Because that's what it is: bullshit. This PC is likely not even going to be pulling 400 watts from the wall, much less fucking 800. XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Then take out the other RAM and only use this RAM. Having both 1.65v and 1.5v RAM, plus different speeds and CAS latencies is bound to create a lot of problems.

As far as power supply goes, you won't need more than 600 watts, you could get a 650 (they're more common than 600) but if they try and push something as absurd as 800 on you, tell them you're not taking that salesman BS. Because that's what it is: bullshit. This PC is likely not even going to be pulling 400 watts from the wall, much less fucking 800. XD
    This all the way, on Anandtech their test system with a GTX 970 and an i7 pulled less than 300 watts at the wall (so <270 actual). If your PSU isn't garbage you're fine. It's all about the incompatible RAM timings; while yes, the RAM you got might be compatible with your motherboard, it's almost certainly not compatible with your existing RAM.

Try booting with just the new RAM installed, see if it works.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get new GPU, you can always buy another stick of RAM next month or something.

Get the best GPU you can with your money, your CPU is decent enough for now and 4GB RAM is passable if you don't run any crap/browser in background.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to echoe what someone said and recommend upgrading your PSU. That one is really bad and low watt, and a PSU is IMO the biggest thing to spend money on. Don't skimp on your power supply.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE