Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Is car insurance actually that expensive? One would think that with it being mandatory for everybody it would be cheap unless there is some cartel/price fixing going on.
    Depends on where u live, in connecticut I paid nearly 700$ for 6 months of insurance, and that's the absolute bare minimum. In wisconsin, I pay 184.89 for 6 months and that is full comprehensive with a 500$ deductible

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Unless the US has a dramatically different legal system from the UK this is not correct. The at fault party is the person the claim is made against the insurance company agrees to cover any liabilities caused due to their policy holder's negligence.
    You don't sue the individual, it's the whole reason we have insurance companies. Must be different then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Depends on where u live, in connecticut I paid nearly 700$ for 6 months of insurance, and that's the absolute bare minimum. In wisconsin, I pay 184.89 for 6 months and that is full comprehensive with a 500$ deductible
    Damn that's awesome in Wisconsin, I would imagine it's because there are much less drivers per square mile.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You don't sue the individual, it's the whole reason we have insurance companies. Must be different then.
    The US's negligence laws are pretty similar to the UK's. The insurance company agrees to cover the damages that result due to their policy holder's negligence as such you claim against the person who was at fault and the insurance company picks up the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    In America you get insurance points, they last 3 years typically and are part of your record when ever you apply or insurance, they are separate from motor vehicle points which not all states use. The more insurance points you have the higher your premiums are. So if you jump ship to another insurance company you will most likely pay more then you were paying since your a new customer with high risk.
    We have NCB/NCD, which works in a similar-ish way. Nowadays they are transferable between insurers, though they never used to be.

Are you sure about that? Usually you sue the party that's committed the act and their insurer indemnifies them, it wouldn't really make sense to sue the insurer as they haven't wronged you. What would you be suing them for?

Remember that insurers don't take on your negligence - insurers aren't too keen on going to prison for vehicular manslaughter, or whatever - they agree to pay for the damage your negligence causes, i.e. indemnify you.

Deleted
    you can always have a little happy accident you know

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The US's negligence laws are pretty similar to the UK's. The insurance company agrees to cover the damages that result due to their policy holder's negligence as such you claim against the person who was at fault and the insurance company picks up the bill.
    Everything goes through your insurance company, as a policy holder the only thing you will ever have to do is a deposition other then that you wouldn't even know there was a suit filed except when your premiums rise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We have NCB/NCD, which works in a similar-ish way. Nowadays they are transferable between insurers, though they never used to be.

Are you sure about that? Usually you sue the party that's committed the act and their insurer indemnifies them, it wouldn't really make sense to sue the insurer as they haven't wronged you. What would you be suing them for?

Remember that insurers don't take on your negligence - insurers aren't too keen on going to prison for vehicular manslaughter, or whatever - they agree to pay for the damage your negligence causes, i.e. indemnify you.
    For PIP and property damage (presuming you have a lawyer) he goes after the other person through their insurance otherwise it would be a civil lawsuit.

Everything goes through your insurance company, as a policy holder the only thing you will ever have to do is a deposition other then that you wouldn't even know there was a suit filed except when your premiums rise.
    That is because your insurer agreed to cover the losses caused by your negligence. The claim is made against the individual at fault and settled by the insurer on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    No my regular health insurance doesnt pay for others but I dont cause accidents. They are the ones that would pay. I will NEVER cause an acident
    Seems empirically improbable unless you're a machine. Even then.

And best of luck with that if you happen to live in a comparative negligence state.